8.5 Galatics

I cant see Voom on the entry list, anyone know what happened to them? Bill told me he was doing the Nats?

Voom was planning to be there and last Sunday put all the new racing sails onboard and even had bottom cleaned.

But unfortunatley cant be there 'cos my first committment is to providing a professional level of service to my clients which often means I just cant sail Fridays and Saturdays, and this weekend just happens to be another one of those unavoidable times...

I cant see Voom on the entry list, anyone know what happened to them? Bill told me he was doing the Nats?

Voom was planning to be there and last Sunday put all the new racing sails onboard and even had bottom cleaned.

But unfortunatley cant be there 'cos my first committment is to providing a professional level of service to my clients which often means I just cant sail Fridays and Saturdays, and this weekend just happens to be another one of those unavoidable times...

saw you out there today mate why couldn't you start a few races?

By the time my morning was over we only got down there in time to watch the start of the last race. We thought we had better not get in the way in case we affected the outcome. We were planning to line up on the start and dip outside the OD but the squaddy chase boat got a bit in the way, still good to pace up against everyone. And an excellent sail home.

Its good to see 8.5 is the biggest class there and the racing so close, and to add more to the numbers Tigre (and proud new owner Vagabond) was seen heading into Westhaven yesterday. :thumbup:

Looks like a good few days racing. Sorry Cubic had to pull out at last minute - we skewered head first into a monohull at 7knots during the Wednesday series start line – cubic picked up speed on port tack after hoisting and was steering hard over to avoid contact but could not get main out in time for a good turn response. The bobstay took most of force, sheared off & lifted us up and on top. Apart from bobstay and its supports blowing apart it seems that it was mostly superficial damage to Cubic apart from the float bow eye being pulled out a bit. It wasn’t built super Light but it was built strong. I was already cutting it fine entering but with working evenings till late each night and the insurance organising I had no time to sort it all out in time so put the boat in for repairs on Friday. If I tried to make it happen I would have self combusted with stress I am sure.

It seemed super congested on the Wednesday start, literally about 112 boats setting up in that little area between the bridge and the Start line and with some hoisting issues we ended up late - and on the wrong side of 100 monohulls at our 5:50pm start. I am by no means a great racer but with so many boats going in all directions and all hoisting/watching sails as much as other boats I cant help but think that there are more accidents like mine just waiting to happen. Glad I have insurance….the other boats damage looks likely to add up.

You could say that, but then, look at the other multihull division.

Lucifer is one great little boat, only 25 mins longer round the course than timberwolf yesterday, but on Friday he was sailing with one hell of a big genniker.

Must admit though, the top cats did pretty well, close finish for line!! just over a minute in it.

Mr Wolf, I saw you screaming down to Navy bouy (well my crew did, they kept yelling at me to concentrate) not far behind Taeping, did you get caught up further down the track?

We did pretty badly I thought, and kept the finish boat waiting over 3/4 hr after the previous boat (they kept coming up to us to ask if we we were still racing).They put us dead last by over 20 minutes.

This morning I see that racetrack had us at 100.72%. I pretty average result, but not as bad as BMW had us.

You could say that, but then, look at the other multihull division.

Lucifer is one great little boat, only 25 mins longer round the course than timberwolf yesterday, but on Friday he was sailing with one hell of a big genniker.

Must admit though, the top cats did pretty well, close finish for line!! just over a minute in it.

Mr Wolf, I saw you screaming down to Navy bouy (well my crew did, they kept yelling at me to concentrate) not far behind Taeping, did you get caught up further down the track?

We did pretty badly I thought, and kept the finish boat waiting over 3/4 hr after the previous boat (they kept coming up to us to ask if we we were still racing).They put us dead last by over 20 minutes.

This morning I see that racetrack had us at 100.72%. I pretty average result, but not as bad as BMW had us.

Cut all your handicrap wingeing John, you come across as a Keelboat sailor !

For a start we noticed you going upwind a few times with your main really too loose, which greatly affects your pointing.

And on an earlier occasion we saw you trying to sail too deep, rather than coming up and getting on some speed.

Trust me, if you can just sail the boat a bit better each time you go out, your handicap will take care of itself !

As to us against Taeping, we lead around Motuihe, but were slow downwind compared to them, and they had a big lead by North head.

There were some big holes which we managed to get stuck in.

Game over. They sailed much better and deserved to win.

BTW it is not true that we deliberately lost because at no stage was I going to sail an MRX if we had won, because I would rather sail multi's than a lead swinging pig rooter whose keel might just fall off !

BTW it is not true that we deliberately lost because at no stage was I going to sail an MRX if we had won, because I would rather sail multi's than a lead swinging pig rooter whose keel might just fall off !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr Wolf

Firstly, I was a keelboat sailor, some things are hard to change.

I'm not saying I'm a crash hot sailor, but expect to have a far fairer handicap than what was given, it was straight crap (backed up by racetrack). I've sailed 20+ races in the last 6 months, so they don't have any excuses to how I have historically performed. I spent money and time on this regatta, and expect a fair handicap.

Mr Wolf

Firstly, I was a keelboat sailor, some things are hard to change.

I'm not saying I'm a crash hot sailor, but expect to have a far fairer handicap than what was given, it was straight crap (backed up by racetrack). I've sailed 20+ races in the last 6 months, so they don't have any excuses to how I have historically performed. I spent money and time on this regatta, and expect a fair handicap.

Mate, like i said, you can get to sail the boat a bit better and your handicap will be on the way up anyway !

When we were in BOI Matt Hart offered to go out with you and give you a few pointers, I would think that you would

learn a great deal in a very short space of time!

And BTW moaning on a public forum will be less effective than a direct discussion with Greg Roake (NZMYC handicapper)!

Judging by Open having 3 x boats tied after 8 races I would find it very difficult to criticise him at all,

but I do take your point that the handicaps should parallel Racetrack over time.

Does this prove tricycles are better than bicycles?

No I think you should check the line results mate first two boats are cats.

And even though this will sound like i'm having a winge i don't really care, but all the new-build 8.5's should be on the same handicap, this is supposed to be a box rule class handicap should be so that the gbe modifieds and older boats can have a win.

oh well we've had a couple of good ones well done to the lucifer boys (and girl :wink: ) they gave us a few good scares in competing for the LINE prize! :twisted: and big ups to shane and the attitude boys who we couldn't shake at all on sunday and gave us the sh*ts big time crossing in front on the last leg!

Some f*cken good close racing on LINE in the 8.5's thats for sure why I built one!

Bobbo

BMW%20Regatta%20Series%20Results.pdf

Mr Wolf

I did not realise NZMYC set the handicaps, I thought it was the RNZYS and BBYC.

The reason I was so grumpy is that I talked to them some time ago, about my handicap.

So sorry to these 2 clubs for wrongly taking your names in vain.

And anyway, this is an open forum, and surely if I want to moan about something, I will

When did Matt offer to come out with me...., I'd love to have someone do that. Matt's given me good advice, and I take it on board, but I was not going to take him off another boat at BOI and have them run short of crew.

By the way, how did the charter on Cotton Blossom go?

and dirty deeds I agree with you, if it's a box rule, all boats built to that rule should be the same handicap, as well as the design the rule was made around (is that the GBE?)

Some f*cken good close racing on LINE in the 8.5's thats for sure why I built one!

Bobbo

Congrats to DD for winning the 8.5 nats on Line, hopefully next year there will be a 1st line prize at prizegiving, you guys sailed well.

I think your right about all new builds having the same handicaps but it might not be fair on my new cruising tri? :wink:

I spent money and time on this regatta, and expect a fair handicap.

Last Nats GDT had a higher handicap than all the GBEs, not very fair, but I didnt complain (much) more like took it as a compliment. Handicaps are very very hard and the people who do them are volunteers, so we cant be too hard on them, the occasional mistake happens too.

The best thing to do is write a letter to the handicapper, or to wait for it to adjust to the correct number. OMR in Oz is a Rule based system iv always been keen on but no one else is here so I cant be bothered pursuing it in NZ at the moment.

Does this prove tricycles are better than bicycles?

No I think you should check the line results mate first two boats are cats.

And even though this will sound like i'm having a winge i don't really care, but all the new-build 8.5's should be on the same handicap, this is supposed to be a box rule class handicap should be so that the gbe modifieds and older boats can have a win.

oh well we've had a couple of good ones well done to the lucifer boys (and girl :wink: ) they gave us a few good scares in competing for the LINE prize! :twisted: and big ups to shane and the attitude boys who we couldn't shake at all on sunday and gave us the sh*ts big time crossing in front on the last leg!

Bobbo

Very well done to DD, they have shown they are a class above the rest at this stage.(for the 2nd year in a row)

Seems neither Attitude nor Lucifer are as fast across the full breeze range even though at times they definitely have their moments.

Its pretty ordinary that there was no line prize for the 8.5's and I think the crew on DD handled that at the prize giving very well despite being VERY disappointed.

Mr Wolf

we were a tad disappointed and did exchange some words with officialdom on the night and i have to say that they have recognised it after Greer queried it and are going to put it right

you are right that no one should bag the hcp'er but i also think that if you win 6 and have 3 seconds in a class fleet you should possibly win one race on hcp and maybe not finish as far down the leader board as we did

I also agree that the newer 8.5s should race for line and be on one hcp or atleast very close to each other and the older boats should be on a similar hcp to each other and have a good shot at the hcp prize

To be honest and no disrespect to the others the top for places should really have gone to the older boats and the newer boats should race for line

now dude your comment about a pig rooter, i own one of those and they may not be a multihull but they do one job really well and that is provide an even fleet to find the overall champion and mate they have all been fully re-keeled at considerable expense to the owners

now to the hcper, the only reason the big multi's were tied after one race was that the lowest place you could get was a 3 ( once dan lost his rig) and the system automatically corrects to the average and i suspect you all sailed as badly ( and as well ) as each other

from the view of a converted leaner sailor it was an awesome weeknd with many highlights

race one was awesome

Dans flip was awesome but to get it back and sail off was more awesome

to then loose the rig was unfair

but to be back at the dock before us and cheerful was outstanding

race 2 and 3 were good so was the trip home

5 W/ls in a day was outstanding

the long harbour race was testing

then throw friday at BBYC ( for the few that went ) and saturday at the Bell ringer bar at the RNZYS and the prizegiving

it sure beats leaner sailing

Handicaps

The multi hull handicaps are computer generated with manual adjustments, but usually only a couple of boats that have either sailed badly the previous week due to gear damage, or common sense suggests a different handicap. I am the person that has some input into manual adjustments on behalf of the NZMHC

JohnMi

You have finished 5 summer series races and have placed first on a handicap of .577 and 4th on a handicap of .618. For the BMW you were started on .585 which would have to be considered fair in my opinion. With this you won the first race.

And you did not compete at all during the 5 Race Saturday. Should you had, your handicap would have been more radically adjusted.

To say you have an unfair handicap based on a last race shocker I think is not correct.

The first 8.5 race had the first 7 boats finishing within 1 minute 7 seconds on handicap which would have to be acceptable especially as a starting point for a regatta.

Dirty Deeds

Your handicaps during the series went as follows: .906, .906, .896, .887, .878, .862, .829, .799, .795

Thats a considerable reduction during one regatta and not one increase to be found.

It seems that the fleet closed up considerably on the water in the lighter air (as stated above with the close finishing), and the computer does not allow for this. Sorry, but any other model would have reverse results in a building breeze.

There is no manual input into handicaps during the series - all computer adjusted.

I hope this clears up a few things.

cheers

The Rev

Rev, I think there might be some confusion here in that the results as originally posted on the BMW site are quite different to those now available. John's comments I think related to the original results list.

Archived