Nicky Cruz 7.6

GregW

Anzac day and trial fit of rear beam. A bit tight on one side so will have to get the grinder out :evil:

I recall having this conversation with you about 18 months ago when I started building my beams (you were building your main hull beam mounts) ! I decided to build the beams first, then the beam mounts, so I could get an exact fit, you were sure you could build the beams "to plan" and they would fit... classic...

Actually they do fit as you can see in the pics, just the top corner of one rear trough needs a couple of mill taken off to allow for glass and paint (ie. I made it too narrow there). Its no biggie and I'm surprised I didn't notice it earlier err.. before I painted it :roll: .

Sat in the cockpit for a while and started visualising control layouts, where to put winches etc etc.

Ah yes - boatbuilding 900hrs; sitting around gazing at it and daydreaming 899 hrs :lol:

I think I probably tend to daydream more than most :think:

Tempus fugit and all that, time for another update - it feels like I've been building beams for a while :eh: Dragged everything out of the shed for a bit of a trial mock up last weekend and it looks like everything will fit which is a plus. Also last trial fit for the front beam before glassing and checked out the dagger board machined by Styrotech (cheers Kevin and CJ), which now I just have to glass.

What else... bought all the bits for mainsheet and traveller, getting all the stainless bolts and brackets done. and now investigating mast options, so after a year or two of not spending much, the wallets well and truely been prised open again.

DSCF0638 - Copy.JPG

DSCF0644 - Copy.JPG

DSCF0626 - Copy.JPG

Iv got boat building envy again now! :evil: Maybe something might happen when Iv finished school..

Looks like your doing a awesome job! keep it up!

Cant wait to see her launched!

Good work Greg. Cant wait to see her all assembled. Its about now you start thinking what an awesome Cat you could have..... well at least we did...

Thanks all.

I'm confused, I thought you were building a tri. What's with the weird front beam? :lol:

According to the designer it gives more 'humping height' over the forward berth.

Cool photo's there :)

Are you still going to use the mast you bought a while back?

Not sure yet. Yours looks like its coming along well. Give me a yell when you're ready to turn over.

Good work Greg. Cant wait to see her all assembled. Its about now you start thinking what an awesome Cat you could have..... well at least we did...

LOL, You're not wrong there. I'm sure the SM floats would also have made a pretty effective pod cat.

humping height! :lol:

This is a technical term I understand - although I couldn't find it in Skene's :)

As a little aside, 21 footer to Graeme's design , currently being built in Germany and nearly ready to be launched.

NC explorer May 2012 - 2.jpg

NC explorer May 2012 - 5.jpg

NC explorer May 2012 - 7.jpg

Quick update, beams are glassed and put to one side while I finish decking the floats.

Question for the tri guys - do you antifoul the floats or not bother?

yep I tried not antifouling the floats when I first launched GDT, bad idea, grew slime very quick.

I have antifouled the floats on SM and its great slime doesnt really grow and when it does I can just wipe it off easy

Archived