Nicky Cruz 7.6

GregW

LOL. Thats where the name came from, How did you guess? :D :D But at that time I was a long-haired rock-n-roll git, not a pogo-ing punk. Loved the music :thumbup: but not the fashion :thumbdown:

Well a month or so in and I’ve been out 4 times – once single handed - in breezes up to about 10-15 knots so far. She sails nicely, is well balanced, and tacks easily, including under main alone. Light weather performance is great and I love the way one can ghost along in light breezes while everything else is standing still. My handlebar tiller design has worked out well and means a tiller extension is unnecessary in the cockpit. With the mainsheet dropping down next to the helmsman it’s like sailing a laser or something and tacks just about as fast.

Importantly the boat has received the spousal seal of approval as being a big improvement over the previous wharram and more comfy to sail on. Plans for the next few weeks are to get a few more sails in, try the gennaker out and make any mods needed (like I need to move the lazy-jacks forward on the boom) before xmas vacation comes along.

Best speed so far 12.6 knots on GPS. Worst moment; taking 5 goes to pick up the mooring bouy the the day I single handed. The wind piped up to 20 or so knots as I was coming back to the mooring and I kept underestimating how long to leave it before cutting the throttle and getting blown back. Got there in the end, but it must have looked funny from the shore.

If anyone is wondering the sails on the boat are approximately the same as designed SA. I got the mast made half a metre longer, you know, just in case :wink: Thanks Graeme for the pics.

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

Picking up the mooring single handed - I run a line from the bow to the cockpit outside the lifelines, pick the mooring up at the cockpit, tie it on, walk forward, pull myself to the mooring. Less time to drift away as you go forward.

Thanks for the update Greg. Looking real nice in those photos.

Thanks Rodney, I'm fortunate to have had Phil and Graeme take some great pics.

David, with the dinghy tied to the mooring buoy its easier to pick up from one of the floats; have worked out a variation on what you do with a strop from the main bow and snap shackle on the end to go over the ring on top of the buoy.

Excellent, next thing is to go sailing midweek so when you do cock it up no one is there to watch. :lol:

BTW - Looking really good, full marks on a big project well done.

Yippee. Home reno get stuffed. great day on the water yesterday, first time sailing the boat in a decent breeze and only poked the nose in once ha ha. Delacruz is a pretty good 1 handed photogeek....

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

nice

starting to claw back all those hours

cutting, bonding, sanding, fabricating, painting

must be nice for him too

to see another yellow cruz on the water

Yep. had a blast. Be your turn next mate.........

Yep. had a blast. Be your turn next mate.........

give me the helm on a windy day

you carry the camera

and we'll see if we can delve into the cruz habits at its limits

actually, you better have the helm

There were a few people interested in how the Coppercoat holds up. First clean since launching (4 months ago) yesterday at Little Shoal Bay. Slime only and it virtually wiped off. Good to have a clean bum for Xmas.

DSCF1251.JPG

DSCF1253.JPG

Archived