Buying from Far East Sails

Yep, what Harrytom said. Take your measurements off the existing. Can't go too wrong with that.

I have a further questions though. My existing main which was probably second hand off the Ark has slides along the foot. Is that the superceded by loose footed mains now?. Are they all loose footed, or is that mainly for say Racing?

Checked out hyde website last night,they have stock sizes for"peterson"1/4 ton,seeing how the cav 26 is "peterson"1/4 tempted to buy direct but instinct tells me to go sail maker or could be a expensive mistake,but buying a kite seems to be the way to go stock sizes.$800 us?free shipping.

Yeah, it's made the boat immeasurably nicer to sail than the old baggy thing.... Didn't have any issues with it fit wise etc. -- all good.

I think I'll try tapering the top batten a bit, other than that I'm happy with the shape. Photo is taken with only a few kts of breeze, hence the bottom looks a bit creasy. Looks nice once the breeze gets up, and the boat now sails OK under main alone in 15-20kts -- it used to basically stop without a headsail before.

DSC_0183.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fbq8ek1cn7zeyf/DSC_0183.JPG?dl=0

• Upvote 1

That's right, BA22.

Yes, went loose footed. Much better.

Apart from that, main changes from the original I made were:

- Less roach -- for easier hoisting, and so it doesn't need reefing so early. Also because it was the default roach they quoted on, so was easier ;-)

- Deeper second reef -- the second reef on the original was very close to the first for some reason.

I'll PM you further details.

You guys should get some local quotes, they are scratching for work with the Covid situation affecting exports. If you want cheap, there are options like Rick Royden if he is still around. Far East may get it right some of the time, but I've seen a lot of disasters and corner cutting here in Asia, then you annoy the local sailmaker when you ask him to fix it. 

Actually if you go sailing in Hong Kong, you would notice that UK Sails has the biggest market share locally there. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.