12ft Interdoms in Brizzy

All on at the moment and with a strong Kiwi team it should be a great contest.

Race 1 - Started in very soft but filled in with rain squalls

1, Gemmel Sails - The top Aussie and previous winner, for the last 2 I think.

2, C-Tech Little Bus - Akl lads and damn good ones

3, P.B. Towage - Aussies

4, Absolute CNC - Driven by Crews own 'Send it' aka Mr T Mussel :twisted: He's being tolerated by point end organiser Jono Clough.

Race 2 - 15-20kts with rain squalls

1, Gemmel Sails - again boo!!

2, C-Tech Performance - Akl lads, Alex and Fraser, who top end performers, both on and off the water ;)

3, Garde - Aussies

4, P.B. Towage - Boo hiss

Race 3 - 15-20kts with rain squalls

1, C-Tech Little Bus - Oh yeah, go hard Riedo and Ben

2, Gemmel Sails - Man they are good, bugger!

3, C-Tech Performance - Go lads.

4, Frankenskiff - Tauranga based kiwi 12ft skiff legend Tim Bartlett is driving this beast with Adam closer to the bow.

NOTE if you didn't work it out - C-Tech Little Bus and C-Tech Performance are 2 different boats. Both are Kiwis but only one is 100% powered by Ginger :twisted: :wink:

So knot to shabby a start for the kiwi lads. Knot sure how the teams points are stacking up but it would have to be bloody close. There is a NZ V Aussie team thing running at the same time.

7 more races to go over the next 4 days.

Race 4

1, Gemmell again

2, Garde

3, C-Tech Little Bus

4, C-Tech Performance

Race 5

1, Gemmell again again

2, Garde

3, C-Tech Little Bus

4, C-Tech Performance

Points after 5 races, No drops that I can see

1 Gemmell Sails 7

2 C-Tech Little Bus 15

3 Garde 16

4 P.B. Towage 26

4 C-Tech Performance 26

6 Absolute Cnc 35

5 Races to go.

P B Towing with Barfoot and Thompson (Kiwis Greg 'The Rev' and Travis I think is with him) close on their tail

IMG_20511.jpg

A nice Fleet shot

IMG_1899.jpg

Gemmell and C-tech locked in battle

IMG_1459.jpg

The Arty shot

SKIFFS-NAT-13_SUE_7251-46.jpg

A report by Richard from the Brizzy 18fters -

I’m sure I speak for all the 12 sailors when I say “whoop whoop 4th rig rides..!!”

Today was by far, the easiest day for making a rig choice.. 4th rig or death..!!

The little masts came off the trailers and the toy like sails were rolled out.. The sail out to the start was interesting.. Local boys on PB set off out of the channel after some womens windsurfer eye candy, and couple of skiffs followed after them only to realise that PB had very little board down at the time.. Those following hit the bottom pretty quickly and sent it down the shallow mine.. I saw a few of them running back to the centreboard…

The first race was quick.. A solid 25kts from the north saw the fleet power towards Green island at great speed.. There were a few lumps and bumps along the way, ok there were sh*t loads..!! Allwood Sails were first to the top and almost put it in during the rounding.. They were very much all over the shop and this resulted in AGAIG going in right on the top mark.. It was chaos..!! Boats tacking on each other, pushing poles through sails.. It was hectic… We finally got through the carnage and the rest of the race was smooth sailing.. Ha..!! Well done to the boys on Garde.. It was pretty rough out there and they sure showed a clean pair of heels taking the gun.. Te Guru was next followed by Nick and Andy on the Gemmell..

The breeze got fresher as the day wore on.. Just what the crews wished for..!! The second start was chaos, with Team Architecture doing some start line remodelling of Frankenskiff, then all boats headed North on Starboard.. On PB we felt fast and seemed to have plenty of height.. We got the the top mark in a great position (2nd or 3rd) and this time it was us who caused the pile up.. We sent it around the mark a bit hot and well, the pole went down down down… We got it up relatively quickly, only to see a capsizing AGAIG (I’m not going to lie.. It’s not a pretty sight…) We had a little tangle and eventually pushed ourselves clear.. Thank goodness the boat held together and we were able to battle on..!! I’m sure the rest of you have similar stories to share, and looking around this evening there are some extremely exhausted and dehydrated (I assume that’s the reason so much rum is being consumed..) crews floating about..

Back to the race… Garde were once again dominating in the field until they decided the Morton Bay tiger prawns were just too good to go past.. Ginge took it from there, and never looked back.. The C-Tech Performance took both the line honours and handicap results in the second race.. Absolute CNC did well too coming in second place. The Gemmell boys were 3rd, leaving them in the driving seat for the overall results..

It was a tough day out there, and especially after yesterday’s mammoth big rig effort.. I’m sure everyone is relieved tomorrow is the lay day..

It’s good to see we have already used every rig this regatta, and I hope the sailing continues to demonstrate that we are indeed sailing in skiff heaven..!!

Until Friday, Send it don’t bend it..!!

Skinnyman

Miners – Wolfie, but since everyone did one, his name was drawn from a hat

Spinners – Last year’s champ, Adam Forbes stepped up to take it by mining a wheelchair in the middle of the street.

Race 6

1, Garde

2, Frankienskiff

3, Gemmel Sails

4, Absolute CNC

Race 7

1, C-Tech performance

2, Absolute CNC

3, Gemmel Sails

4, Frankenskiff

It looks like the Kiwis do low a good blow.

Team Points

Aus - 514

NZ - 531

I think more is best so after those 2 good blowie jobs NZ sneaks ahead of Aussie.

Nick Press and Andrew Stephenson sealed the title today with a win in Race 9, much to the delight of Murray Press, who flew up to Brisbane to watch his son take his 4th 12ft skiff Interdominions in a row. They didn’t have it all their way in Race 8, when a light wind start put them back in the pack. But they fought through to a respectable 3rd place after the wind filled in to a glamour 3rd rig. The wind god has certainly given the fleet a bit of everything this year.

CST Composites had a blindingly fast first windward in the light stuff, beating Harsco Infrastructure by a few boat lengths. A broken gooseneck ended their day. Harsco romped in for a 7th. As the wind filled, a few boats lost control in the lumpy Waterloo Bay waters, including As Good As It Gets being swallowed up whilst in 3rd place. C-tech/Little Bus showed a clean set of heels in Race 8 once they took the lead to take the win. Garde displayed good consistency to finish 2nd and Gemmell Sails round out the top three. The lads on Variety mistakenly tied in their 2nd rig kite and had to do a mad dash back to the club to get the smaller spinnaker. Fortunately, the fleet was too eager and a general recall gave them the time to get back in the game.

Some of our title sponsor, Harsco Infrastructure’s, representatives took to the water, showing their support from the spectator boat. I hope we put on a good show.

Race 9, the wind filled further and the racing at the front was tight. Gemmell Sails started fast and kept everyone at bay with a flawless display of windy skiff sailing. Frankenskiff, sailed by Tim “te Guru” Bartlett and Adam Miller hit a turtle and ripped off their rudder pintles. I can only imagine what the turtle looked like. The racing was ferocious and boats all down the fleet were changing places constantly. Garde and C-tech Performance round out the top three. Special mention to the guys who took the 2nd rigs for a burn and Absolute CNC for doing it in style with a 6th and a 5th.

Miners went to AGAIG for a pair near the top mark whilst in 3rd place.

Spinners was an audiovisual spectacle, with Robbie “Bruno” Polec doing some fun wrestling in the valley, and his sidekick Adam Forbes videoing it.

Team Points:

AUS = 666

NZ = 681

Race -8

1, C-Tech Little Bus

2, Garde

3, Gemmel Sails

4, Frankenskiff

Race 9

1, Gemmel Sails

2, Garde

3, C-Tech Performance

4, Variety - Aussies

Points after 9 races - includes 2 drops

1, Gemmel Sails 11 points

2, Garde 16 points

3= C-Tech Performance 22

3= C-Tech Little Bus 22

5 Absolute CNC 33

6 Frankenskiff 36

26 boats are in the Regatta. The last race and Prize giving is today.

Bit of starting fun anyone?

p1050915sml.jpg

2 kiwis boats rotating for take off

p1060550sml.jpg

The class where they always reach for the stars :)

p1060594sml.jpg

That top pick is of us with the 2nd rig on and the rest of the fleet was third rig. was an epic day of sailing. we had to run square to get through the finish line and just about stuck it down. we got a lot deeper than in the photo. had two goo results that day and we were absolutely fucked after two races. NZ team won but the top two Aussies are going to take some catching. they are sharp campaigners. pity the photos don't show how many stingy jelly fish were there. we had to wear long wet suits in the sty-filing heat. even the locals were running for cover. got home yesterday avo. back to work for a rest.

Oui, what happened to the photos I had up there??

Great shot that one SI. All are goodies.

Guessing the photo showing a R Class main means when they said windy they meant windy.

Archived