BoI 2013

Fogg

We were in C division, on the middle course with the Y88's and sport boats. Unsure of who exactly was on the start boat, but they were really slick for the entire regatta and made things really easy for us.

Day 1 we had light-ish conditions and we were getting along nicely with our new #1 genoa. Although we were slightly under wicked upwind we seemed to have an super amount of height, and when required could out point any of our competition, which made our starts really nice. Around the top mark we got the new A2 running gennaker up and we were off like a robbers dog. Managed two wins on the windward leewards that day. The bay race was a bit different as the chop had picked up somewhat and we struggled against the longer boats upwind and tight reaching. think we got a 5th on that one!

Day 2 we picked up the new crew (we had a slightly different team each day) and headed out. Conditions were much more like the the bay race the day before. We were starting really strongly and had won all of the starts so far. We continued this, however we were just lacking a bit of momentum upwind. We had trouble matching the Davidson 37 the Ross 9.1 and the Young 1034 today so usually ended the beat in bad shape and relied on the runs to limit the damage. We weren't off the pace, but with more chop the other boats just seemed to keep their speed on more consistently than us. Tongue Twister was suffering in a similar fashion. So today wasn't such a good day our us. The bay race wasn't great either and due to a messy hoist and an equally poor drop we put a big hole in the A2. Then the bowman (me) had a shocker and tore the front hatch clean off the deck! Our front hatch is (was) round and it flew like a Frisbee off the leeward and sank! Had a few choice words with myself... So we did the bay race taking quite a lot of water in up front.. oops. So that kept the sail maker and boat builder busy that evening! Results went 5-6-5 or something to that effect!

Day 3 and we have some wind, 20-25 knots! We were in far better shape than the previous day with a repaired A2 and a surprisingly functional bungee cord/plywood front hatch. Again our starts were really nice and our height was painful for any boat starting above us. First race was a triangle, which is what we're used to from up north. We got around the top mark and got the fractional up. We were flying but decided to drop at the wing and 2 sail down. This turned out to be the right decision as the next leg was carnage for most of our fleet and we scorched through for 2nd. Next race was a windward leeward and we knew that with our re-born A2, if we had the balls, we would be on fire on the runs. Got to the top mark mid fleet after going back for the outboard cover that got blown off, and got the A2 up. 110m2 is a big sail for us in 20-25 knots of breeze and with the prod canted and the luff sitting out to weather, were were happily sitting on 15 knots most of the run. Upwind was average mainly due to a broken mainsheet block, then the next run it was all on! A2 up again and we were on fire. We were pretty much in control...... Sitting on 16 we were running out room and had to jibe behind Drop Dead Fred. So we did, had a little bit of a wobble but recovered pretty quick and scorched across the stern, then past the 930 at just a click under 20 knots boat speed 8) WT was on fire with the bow up, the A2 pulling like a tractor, and us crew hanging onto the aft rail. 2nd in that race. Been a while since we've had WT really lit up and she really felt good! Thanks to all our crew, it was fun!

WT.

What's the smoke from?

On Wired, Engine runs the hydraulic pump straight from the engine shaft (shares same drive shaft), so the engine is running when ever you want to use the hydraulics. The water pick up for the engine is via the sail drive, which when out of the water obiviously supply the engine. Engine on Wired can be running at 4200 rpm when canting the keel/running hydraulics.

Thursday Race Day Two – January 24, 2013 – PRESS RELEASE

The morning began with barely 5 knots of wind, predicted to increase during the afternoon. Today has been full of activity. Most races delayed until just before noon with varying winds throughout the bay. A quick chat with ‘Pistol Pete’ of Bullrush (Island Racing One) - “Our race today was very competitive, the finish very exciting. Cotton Blossom beat Bullrush over the line by just 4 seconds and we in turn beat Georgia One by 6 seconds. We had two lovely German backpackers with us today and we like to think they brought us the luck.” Mmmm.

Island Racing Division Two: Grant and Iris Bartlett owners of local boat Cadillac – are pretty chuffed with the racing to date. Yesterday they got the gun – and again today. Bartlett is pretty happy with his regular local crew and three top yachties brought in from Whangarei off Bare Essentials; Boyd Smith, Dave Cochran and Jackson Yovich. What a team.

A chat with Mike Coupe in charge of the Start Boat for Island Racing One – two and three: a delayed start until 11.50 when the breeze increased to over the dreaded 5 knots; Island Racing One headed out for their 23 miles, Island Racing Two for their 18 miles, and Island Racing Three 14 miles. Said Coupe “The crews were very patient with no complaints; it’s a joy to work with these yachties. And – they learned from yesterday’s General Recall resulting in good clean starts and well timed. The three divisions finished within 30 minutes of each other – we call that good planning”

But then the DRAMA: Irene West reported from the Start Boat Divisions C and D, Young 88s and Sports Boats.

Enigma from Sports Boats Division was heard loud and clear; “Man overboard”. A crew member was over the side. The Start boat had top officials on board headed by Gerry Martin, the boat Siesta owned and operated by Kevin Petrie from Coastguard who immediately took the situation in hand. The patient was hauled from the water with a deep hole in the arm and huge loss of blood (cause unknown). Petrie stopped the flow, bandaged the arm and had the patient ready for Bay Rescue in less than 10 minutes. An ambulance was waiting at Waitangi and the patient was whisked off to Kawakawa Hospital with no waiting, such an efficient group. And it must be noted that while the drama unfolded, the balance of the race starts continued. Well done to all.

But wait there’s more….Island Racing One ‘Cruise Control’: Just before the race began the topping lift broke, landing on the head and shoulders of a female crew member. Lindsay Graves immediately called for assistance from the official boat with Ray Haslar aboard. The patient was transferred to the ‘rib’ and taken ashore where Haslar took the patient to Paihia Emergency. The patient had 6 stitches in the head and a fractured rib. Not a good day for two crew members on two different boats…..

There are five Protests which will keep Judges Tony Webb, Mike Alison and John Grace busy for a while.

Friday however looks like a good 15-20 knots, so the last day, like last year, may well be the ‘busiest’.

Tonight is Southern Spars Mask evening with free finger food until it runs out – from 6pm.

Friday Race Day Three – January 25, 2013

They wanted more wind?? They got way more wind.

East-Sou-East at 15 – 18 knots was the start of the day. This was only the beginning…….

B Division Race 1 – the breeze freshened. Power Play was ahead at the first cross-over, Elysium in second place. At the rounding of the top mark – there was no change. And so the race continued. Second time around the top mark first two positions still unchanged with Kaimai Express rounding in third place and Simply Red right in behind.

A Division Race 1 at the top mark Georgia was one boat length ahead of Kia Kaha with V5 close behind; a tight race.

At least half dozen dolphins checked out the top mark to make sure Quilter had laid it correctly…..

Second time at the top mark, Georgia was at least 300 metres in front, Wired next around with Kia Kaha third – V5 next. This is racing….

B Division Race 2: Breeze up to 20 knots gusting 25. A good clean start. Deep Throttle and Overload pushing hard to have a nose in front. This is serious stuff now with white caps and 20 – 25 knots of wind.

In A Division Georgia was first to the Wing mark – then a catastrophe – Wired wiped out. And she was smoking literally. Over, down and out – then up again moving forward. Amazing. What an experience – what a sight.

The Official Boat was then called to tow in ‘My Size’ from the Sport Boat Fleet. ”The broken rudder was ripped off the back” said Tom Kiff, still with a smile on his face – “that’s racing”.

Lesley Haslar

Bay of Islands Sailing Week

The third day of racing is over and it’s time to relax with friends and fellow competitors in the North Sails Marque. There was awesome feedback from the competitors about the efficiency of the start boats and crews – all volunteers returning each year to be a part of Bay of islands Sailing Week. Thank you to each and every one of you. Not to forget the on-shore volunteers who standby daily to make it happen…..

Rather than list all the prize-winners, may I suggest readers secure this information from bayofislandssailingweek.org.nz.

Prizegiving photos and results are on the website. The crowd at the North Sails Tent are having a bl—dy good time. Pete Montgomery again did a great job in presenting all the prizes, with the help of Jim Farmer….. What a team.

Fantastic professional photographs are available through Ocean Photography. And today Will Calver went up in a helicopter for even more variety. Go to his website through the link on our site.

This regatta just gets better each year, with lots of positive suggestions offered to ensure it continues. Many skippers – and volunteers have already put their hands up for 2014.

Lesley Haslar

Bay of Islands Sailing Week 2013

Some pretty tired and soaked crew starting to filter into Tutukaka, sea state has been building progressively and the forecasts are looking like Groundhog Day for the rest of the week.

if you are squeamish dont open the file!

I was the crew on enigma that got whisked away, first to kawakawa then whangerei.

got discharged yesterday after surgery under general anasthetic.

went out on the wire for the first time that race, and something let go, next thing i am in the water with a big hole in my rigfht arm just below the elbow joint and loads of blood, not really sure what happened

huge thanks to:

-the little white rib (not so white after i covered it in blood) who came and got me off enigma

-the guys who did the initial dressing off the wound from the start boat, great job in diffcult conditions, stopped the bleed and really tidy. Ambulance guys didn't have to to touch it

-Coastguard for the 30 kt blast in, recognising i was going into shock and treating me accordingly

-gayle and wally in the ambulance for being totally cool and reassuring, and also getting the photo!

-everyone at kawakawa and whangerei hospital who treated and looked after me

-the guys and girls in the sportboat fleet for messages of support, sorting out my stuff, coming to say hi in the hospital, taxi services and generally being awesome.

I wont be sailing for a while, but good news is i've only torn the muscle on the top of the arm, hand and fingers are ok.

Hope the crew from Wider recovers ok as well!

arm.jpg

My, or more precisely my computers, very quick and very dirty calcs Jono:

Division A:

11 Kia Kaha 52

16 Georgia

20 Wired

Division B:

12 Power Play

16 Overload

25 Elysium

Division C:

12 Mr Wolf

14 Tongue Twister

22 Physical Favours

Division E:

12 Solveig

13 Candela

31 Luxury Liner

Sports boats:

8 Animal Biscuits

20 Orange Peeler

24 Rocket Science

Young 88:

12 Sweeney Todd

18 Heartlight

22 Medium Dry

Island cruising 1 :

6 Georgia One

8 Bullrush

8 Cotton Blossom II

Island cruising 2 :

3 Cadillac

6 Charisma of Nelson

11 Assassin

Island cruising no kites :

3 Royale

6 Destiny

9 Shearwater

really not sure as it happened so fast,

went out on the wire and heard a ripping sound

tried to grab the handle, ended up in the water.

Turns out i blew out both thebuckles holding the webbing straps for the spreader bar on the harness, so between the trapeze l8ine and cleat, spreader bar, hook and shoulder straps something bit me.

typing with my left hand is bloody slow!

Absolutely fantastic regatta! We had a lot of fun on Crusader. Really well run races and courses the dock set up and North tent were great. The only thing it lacked was a few more boats.

Why does this regatta not seem to grow? I think it’s a world class regatta…you would have to go long way to find a better place to go sailing???

Archived