Anchors and warp

Vivaldi

Hi All,

due to a bit of an indiscretion with my anchor - getting it stuckin 20m deep in about 30knots of wind I need to rpleace the whole lot.

My boat is just on 30 foot and weighs about 3 ton - I'm thinking of getting about 20m of 8mm chain and a manson "extreme" - about 15 pound.

my question(s) is how much total rode do most people carry? and has anyone had any experience with the manson exteme anchors?

cheers

Great fishing next to the mussel farms when they are harvesting. Last time out there we pulled up alongside the barge and fished in the slurry of mussel bits pouring over the side. Unbelievable fishing.

But yes - stay well clear for anchoring as they have their own anchoring that extends quite a way beyond whats visible above the water.

(...) how much total rode do most people carry?

The more the better. Doesn't take much for scope x (depth + height of fairlead above waterline + tide) to equal a surprisingly large number. The absolute worst night's sleep I have ever had was hanging off too little rode with too light an anchor in a chop.

Knotty sorted me out with some Gucci anchoring gear just prior to Xmas as my old tackle was way undersized and it meant i couldnt leave the boat unattended unless it was dead calm.

For my 42ft, 6 ton boat, ive got a Manson Supreme 45, 20m of 10mm chain and 100m of rode. The 45 is probably a size to big, but thats how i like it. After 2 weeks cruising in Jan, many days anchored in crouded bays with gusts over 25, it was dam reassuring to know that i had top of the range, and oversized tackle on the bottom. Great gear.

my old tackle was way undersized

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ohh myyyy!!! What a damning admission to make on a public forum. :twisted: Followed by this gem ...

it was dam reassuring to know that i had top of the range, and oversized tackle on the bottom

:wtf:

Sorry for the thread piggy back. Anyone got any thoughts on those sexy light wight alloy anchors hanging on the rack at Burnsco. Look pretty good for a 300kg sporty what?

Ive got one on Mercenary and have managed a raft up in Motuhie on it first time out of the box. Managed to hang Me, Cosa Nostra (Y88) and Spearhead off it before Valium turned up and we decided not to push our luck!

Bloody great anchors for a racing anchor those Alloy ones. Surprisingly good holding. I still use it when cruising just for day trips when fishing etc rather than lumping the big super 25pound plow with 14metres of chain up and down!

:lol: :lol: Nice spotting Grinna and I'd like to take this opportunity to assure everyone to the maximum extent possible I did knot fondle Tuffy's undersized tackle, I find the thought of doing that beyond spooky. To be honest after sussing Tuffys crew I'd be driving him fast to a head space doctor for a deep suss if he dumped her for me......... even if she does speak a bit funny ;)

Anyway, it's a Supreme anchor knot an 'extreme'. Yes you can have too much rode and yes you can also have knot enuff rode.

Thing 1 - Why did you leave it behind and have you done what you can to make sure that doesn't happen again? Sometimes it's just a sh*t happens, generally is, but sometimes it's DOTS or boat related, both of which you can fix.

The New Safety Regs say the primary rode must be a boat length on deck of chain and 60mts of rope. Sizing is to your Class rules or the 'Rules', but they don't say what those rules are. Strange but true.

100mts all up is enough for the Akl to North Cape area, at times a lot less is also more than enough. All depends on where you anchor. Find the max depth of that and multiply it by 5. If that's over 100mts go 100mts, if it's less go the less.

On my marauder we have a 15lb manson supreme with 10m of chain and around 40-50m of warp as a main anchor and then a manson alloy racer anchor as a spare with about the same amount of chain and warp.

The only time I have ever dragged is at the barrier in 30+kts trying to anchor in 22m of water. Just not enough rode to get it dug in. Other than that it has always dug in first time every time. Best anchor I have ever owned.

We have an 8.5m cat with a large windage boom tent. Just recently we went with the biggest Manson Supreme my wife could comfortable haul up - a 25lb. we have 10m of chain, plus an additional 3m of BIG chain I add on for cruisng, and remove for racing.

Seems to work just fine.

On my marauder we have a 15lb manson supreme with 10m of chain and around 40-50m of warp as a main anchor and then a manson alloy racer anchor as a spare with about the same amount of chain and warp.

The only time I have ever dragged is at the barrier in 30+kts trying to anchor in 22m of water. Just not enough rode to get it dug in. Other than that it has always dug in first time every time. Best anchor I have ever owned.

Thanks for that - we have a 30 pound plough on board as a spare - known as Captain Cook to my boys as in "Captain Cook rang - he wants his anchor back"

so I think i'll go with the 15 pound for normal use and can throw Captain Cook over the side in a real blow.

I can practically hear KM rubbing his hands together from here...

So where did you drop the gear? Like, what's the lat/long? :wink: :D

There is a nice Delta anchor and chain sitting at 36-10.9153S 175-21.0706E if any members fancy a dive - in about 20m of water. :(

Thanks for that - we have a 30 pound plough on board as a spare - known as Captain Cook to my boys as in "Captain Cook rang - he wants his anchor back"

so I think i'll go with the 15 pound for normal use and can throw Captain Cook over the side in a real blow.

We used to have the same on the quarter tonner, I called it 'foofoo' as I blew the foofoo valve everytime trying to pull it up. We didn't have an anchor roller so it was hand over hand over the lifeines, a real ass....

We have a Marauder with a Manson Supreme 15lb

15m of 8mm chain and 100m of 12mm warp

Amazing anchors. It's the first thing I buy on a new boat if it doesn't already have one :thumbup:

Been through all conditions and NEVER dragged

In the right conditions it will hold 2000kg :thumbup:

I also go with the Manson Supreme 15lb but with 20m of 8mm chain and 100m or warp + an anchor buddy as a reserve stored in the locker by the board. Just for cruising mind

On a 1450kg yacht its going nowhere and with the anchor alarm on the GPS I sleep reasonably well even in a blow. Problem is everyone else moving around about us. Like the time at Rakino when I was hit by an 88 at about 6am, I jumped out the forward hatch naked to see what was up to confront a very embarrassed 88 owner, his wife and 3 daughters...

Its times like that you are pleased to have good tackle.

KM - interested on your thoughts re anchor buddies? Seems logical, any downsides?

Like the time at Rakino when I was hit by an 88 at about 6am, I jumped out the forward hatch naked to see what was up to confront a very embarrassed 88 owner, his wife and 3 daughters...

Its times like that you are pleased to have good tackle.

Not a cold night huh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist.

Don't hang, excuse the pun, too much on a 30lb plow on a 29fter. It's knot large for the boat, in fact it's pretty average. If using it in a blow think scope and think lots of it.

A 15lb Supreme on a 28/30fter is maxing it out a bit so I'd suggest the heavy chain you lot seem to run with them is doing a lot of the work, as it should be, but in doing so it's flattering the anchor. Take the chain out and see how you go, I'm pretty sure you'll find you suddenly have serious issues. That isn't a balanced system.

When a anchor is set the weight has f*ck all to do with what it'll hold so don't get too wrapped up in the lb/kg. The only reason many anchors use weight to name them is the punters can't get that old school 'weight is good' myth out of their heads. Just like they think a anchor is the only thing that holds your boat in the same spot.

Before I'd use a 15lber, 20 of 8mm chain and rope I'd be using a 25lber, 20 of 7mm chain and the same rope. It'll work far better, hold more and weigh 10% less.

The system on my beast weighs 33% less again. I carry a 60cm, I always carry 2, which are both the same at the moment. I did use 40's for a while but had to up them as the powers that be still, or were, living in 1962, there abouts, so they wouldn't OK them. My 60's weigh 3.9kg, which is 8.6lb, each.

Anchor buddies/Sentinels/Killets are damn good.................. for those who didn't think 'system' and only thought 'anchor'. Handy for cruisers but a coastal boat shouldn't need one if they set up their system right in the 1st place. They take up space and money better suited for beer and hot chicks. Offshore, yes I'd take one or have the makings of one I could assemble as you just don't know where you'll end up and in what sort of seabed, something you shouldn't have to say when your only doing inshore.

2000kg with a 15lber Royal, got it stuck in the rocks again?

Archived