Anchors and warp

Vivaldi

Driving the anchor in forwards has worked really well for a number of years for me. W.T. I think for your boat 35lb is too big and 10meters of chain isnt perhaps enough. I'm only using a 35lb anchor now on a cav 36 (6.5 ton light) out of wellington. Try if any of your friends have a spare 30lbs cqr etc & 20 meters of chain.

W.T. you sound like your having the same problem I use to have when I was running a 45lb cqr. The boat just dosent have enough weight to set an anchor that big and theres not enough chain to allow more enthusiasm in reverse to help it set. Even putting out sh*t loads of scope didn't help me. I'm a fan of more chain & of a larger size rather than just a big anchor. 8mm chain is the same size I'm using that should be bomb proof for you :) id recommend minimum 20 mtrs chain & 30lbs anchor and you be set :)

Ps It pains me to say this but the ozzies are on to it with the sarca excel

In many respects, Chain length is more important than the anchor size. That shank MUST at all costs be held down on the bottom for the anchor to set and remain. If the shank angle is lifted up when the "setting" pull comes on, then the anchor will not travel downward into the bottom. Also the chain has a lot of drag. For every doubling of length of chain, the drag resistance goes up by four times. But that is only in regards the chain lying on the bottom. Once it is lifted clear of the bottom, it no longer has any resistance.

Those with Chain and Rope rodes need to also realise that the rope ONLY connects the boat to the chain. The rope does very little else except provide a bit of elasticity, which helps to dissipate energy and perhaps lower the pull angle, providing there is enough rope payed out, but not a heck of a lot else. An All chain rode adds a lot to "Catenary Curve". This is in itself a powerful action of dissipating energy and also allowing a great deal of chain to remain on the bottom when a load comes on, increasing drag.

Himself had to take the sexy lady out for a sail today so he could test out his new anchor. The water was so clear, even in 5-7m we could see the bottom. After I had had my fun tacking back and forth, and commanding sail changes from the limey lads, we headed into the shallows to test the anchor.

Sails dropped and motoring into the wind, I buttoned off and Himself waited until the forward momentum ceased, then dropped the anchor. I was unsure whether the boat would swing around to the tide or the wind, so I put her in low rev reverse while Himself played out the chain, then some rode, then a bit more grunt to bite and off with the motor.

Himself went for a swim following the chain to find the anchor nearly completely buried.

Needless to say, he is very very happy.

Thanks for all the awesome advise crew.orgers, it truely has helped us come up with something that works a treat for us.

:thumbup: you know who you are

Archived