Anti-foul alternative

floatsome

Thought I had seen this subject before, but couldnt find it, apologies if repeat.

Duke University engineers have developed a material that can be applied like paint to the hull of a ship and will literally be able to dislodge bacteria, keeping it from accumulating on the ship's surface. This buildup on ships increases drag and reduces the energy efficiency of the vessel, as well as blocking or clogging undersea sensors.

The material works by physically moving at the microscopic level, knocking the bacteria away. This avoids the use of bacteria-killing paints, which can contain heavy metals or other toxic chemicals that might accumulate in the environment and unintentionally harm fish or other marine organisms.

The Duke researchers also say that similar types of materials could be used in other settings where the buildup of bacteria - known as biofilms -- presents problems, such as on the surfaces of artificial joint implants or water purification membranes.

"We have developed a material that 'wrinkles,' or changes it surface in response to a stimulus, such as stretching or pressure or electricity," said Duke engineer Xuanhe Zhao, assistant professor in Duke's Pratt School of Engineering. "This deformation can effectively detach biofilms and other organisms that have accumulated on the surface."

Keeping bacteria from attaching to ship hulls or other submerged objects can prevent a larger cascade of events that can reduce performance or efficiency. Once they have taken up residence on a surface, bacteria often attract larger organisms, such as seaweed and larva of other marine organisms, such as worms, bivalves, barnacles or mussels.

"It is known that bacterial films can recruit other organisms, so stopping the accumulation process from the beginning in the first place would make a lot of sense," Lopez said.

The project is funded by the U.S. Office of Naval Research and the MRSEC. Other members of the Duke team are Phanindhar Shivapooja, Qiming Wang and Beatriz Orihuela.

Source: Duke University

Errrr, I don't think they have anything yet. If they do, please pass on the link. but I looked into this perhaps a month ago and it was still very much a concept. The idea is that the surface would "twitch" in the area that a microbe attaches and thus dislodges it. But it requires an electrical impulse. I see a slight problem with the idea of electrical impulses sent through a "skin" in a Salt water environment.

Errrr, I don't think they have anything yet. If they do, please pass on the link. but I looked into this perhaps a month ago and it was still very much a concept. The idea is that the surface would "twitch" in the area that a microbe attaches and thus dislodges it. But it requires an electrical impulse. I see a slight problem with the idea of electrical impulses sent through a "skin" in a Salt water environment.

Yeah, like a 1000x increase in electrolysis.

As I said to a snake oil salesman who was selling fuel additives a few weeks back (he used to sell Japanese palm healing and is now F&B manager for a middling resort) "If you can prove that any 30K ton ship is using your product because it works then please send me the details".

As I said before, I used to sell Wynns products. And yes, some work very well. As a Sale's rep, I was probably too "honest". Not saying all reps are dishonest, but I found that to be a top rep for many companies, you either had to lie or at last no how to manipulate the situation. Squid knows what I mean. He is too honest also. Anyway's, the day I became cycnical of the Wynns product was when I had the potential of selling a huge quantity of their Hydraulic oil additive. I had a possible huge sale with a the biggest NZ Cardboard Box manufacturer. The hydraulic machinery was working hard and the heat was causing many issues. The Wynns product was supposed to dramatically lower heat. The head maintenance engineer wanted to try the product, but was hesitant at the cost versus the "what if it doesn't work" scenario. I was so confident that I went back to my Manager and said, why don't we give them the product free of charge for a trial in just one of their machines, with the view that we then charge them if it solves their problem and no charge if it doesn't. My belief in the product became slightly tarnished when my Manager refused saying that the risk was too great of it not working. I just could not work it out. If the product really worked, then what risk. The cost to Wynns can't have been that great surely and besides, the potential surely out weighed the risk. But nope, they would not entertain the idea. So I lost out on what could have been a huge sale. Or maybe in reality, I didn't lose.

Yeah, like a 1000x increase in electrolysis.

Not to do with fouling but have any of you heard of impressed cathodic protection?

Rigger, I am coming from a completely different angle. I am not really sure how these folks are intending to "activate" the "skin" or what ever the coating is. From what I understood when I looked into this, the coating would have to have some kind of a grid system of electrical connections. Think of something like how LED TV screens and how each individual LED is connected. Quite how they expect to do it beats me.

I reckon I might have the perfect idea. I have noticed just recently, fish eating all the growth from my mooring line and from the Boats Hull. It has been picked really clean. Would they be called Parore ????Whatever they are, all I have to do is entice more of them around. You couldn't get more environmentaly friendly that that now can you. I do seem to feel there maybe some flaw in my plan though.

I think I may have seen that on a few of the bigger Gin Palaces around. The water seems to glow around them and the coloured light attracts all sorts of Marine life to the Hull :eh:

No that golden glow is from the heads...... used beer :lol:

I reckon I might have the perfect idea. I have noticed just recently, fish eating all the growth from my mooring line and from the Boats Hull. It has been picked really clean. Would they be called Parore ????Whatever they are, all I have to do is entice more of them around. You couldn't get more environmentaly friendly that that now can you. I do seem to feel there maybe some flaw in my plan though.

Interesting.... coming in from the mooring to Halfmoon Bay, I can almost see the local parore following the boat!! You can hear them chomping all night through the hull

Archived