Auckland to Tauranga Race

catyachty

The legendary Easter yacht race. Who's doing it this year and whats happened to the multihulls. We have heard nothing . Has the race been hijacked by family cruises, This great race needs to be promoted better.

No Smithy, your OK after this year. Whilst the Opti Nats are always over the Easter weekend the Starling Nats are now in the first week of the school holidays in order to provide some separation between the two. I guess there will be a year when they have to be juggled, last year was very close, but likely to be uncommon. This year they are weeks apart.

Maybe you will be lucky and get the Starling Nats in Tauranga - you'll have the accommodation and support/spectator boat sussed.

Wrong.

School Holidays almost always start on Good Friday (this year is the exception).

2014 Good Friday 18/4, School Holidays 18/4 - 4/5

2015 Good Friday 3/4, School Holidays 3/4 - 19/4

2016 Good Friday 25/3, School Holidays 16/4 - 1/5

2017 Good Friday 14/4, School Holidays 14/4 - 30/4

Then for the next few years it will revert to what happened last year, Opti's start racing on Good Friday & the Starlings later in the following week. In 2016 it will be much the same as this year. The problem is requiring the Starlings to finish on the Sunday to allow the kids to relocate to the 420 Teams Racing Nationals. Not ideal, but having the Starlings have their Nationals at this end of the season is only a recent occurrence & needs time to settle.

Easter can vary from late March to late April, so it could be that the Opti Nats are after the Starling ones.

No Smithy, your OK after this year. Whilst the Opti Nats are always over the Easter weekend the Starling Nats are now in the first week of the school holidays in order to provide some separation between the two. I guess there will be a year when they have to be juggled, last year was very close, but likely to be uncommon. This year they are weeks apart.

Maybe you will be lucky and get the Starling Nats in Tauranga - you'll have the accommodation and support/spectator boat sussed.

I like this answer best John.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

That was because the New Plymouth YC said they would have trouble providing volunteers to run the event on Good Friday and Easter Sunday. The Sunday was only intended as being a reserve day for the teams racing, and a rest day between the Teams Racing and the Nationals themselves.

In future the Teams Racing Nationals will be held as a separate event, and clubs will be allocated the national champs on the understanding they start racing on Good Friday through to the Tuesday. This should allow a window for the Starlings.

It would have nice to have Smithy down in the Bay but such is the life of an Opti-dad!!

Not all yachties have these duties, and they are all welcome to Tauranga. I recently sent emails to past competitors asking them about which handicap system they preferred, I had many great responses and suggestions, thank you.

As I have stated previously, apart from IRC we will be running the race under PHRF for the main divisions - this system actually takes into account the individual boat differences combined with it's past performances from my understanding.

For those who are not keen on this system we will record all yacht results alongside using Mark's Racetrack data tracking system that many competitors favoured by replying to my email, there has already been bottles of Rum (unofficial)put up by long term rivals for the winners - nice.

Hotrods are keen for their own division - see WT for details

Entering without a current PHRF is not obvious in the entry form but we will accept your entries under a General Division, so please indicate this fact.

The chief organiser is Rafin (crew.org member) and I am assisting him and our committee.

As for prizes, there will be spot prizes available to all competitors, as well as the PHRF and IRC divisional prizes and trophies.

Major sponsor International Paints through Steves Marine Supplies will have something to offer, I am hoping it may include the new super anti-foul Micron 77, we have yet to find out.

Jono from Safety at Sea is putting up some prizes.

Battery Warehouse Tauranga have some goodies too.

Bruce from Bridge Marina Travelift will have antifoul deals that are good value even with travelling down here as I have seen Auckland antifoul prices are quite a lot higher in general.

David Peet jewellers will have their special silver shackles for lucky entrants.

There will be more when the official press release comes out and I will probably be in trouble for releasing the info unofficially.

Multihull news confirms Team Vodafone competing as they haven't managed to beat the course record yet, I think we are putting in a mooring especially for Simon and his team.

Our marina berthing team will attempt to find a berth for TimW and Timberwolf - please bring her back to her birthport!

StephenC will be taking his usual mass photo session of the start.

See you there on the startline Thursday 28th - one day after my birthday - I'll be on Jade Lady N30 - probably the slowest boat out there - Andy

It would have nice to have Smithy down in the Bay but such is the life of an Opti-dad!!

Not all yachties have these duties, and they are all welcome to Tauranga.

Thanks Ballystick. Sounds like a cool race and one of many I would like to tick off.. It will have to be 2014... I'll make sure he gets his car license pronto as well so he can tow his own starling to regattas.. :D :D

I'm working on this with our Website guy, I can guess that Timberwolf won't make it now.

There are lots of yachts that have still to enter who said they will be there, even the Tauranga entrants.

The list of entrants is on the website, as I suspected competitors are a bit reluctant to put their entries in yet, even the Tga guys who are definitely going up there.

My thanks go out to the keenest entrant Duty Free who are doing it shorthanded in preparation for the RNI, I think - thank you !!

We (several Tga entrants) will be attempting to upload videos from aboard yachts via youtube during the race for viewing from the club website for all to see - as it happens almost.

Predictwind trackers will be used too for those smartphone entrants.

Archived