Auckland to Tauranga Race

catyachty

There was supposed to be a hotrod division, WT wasn't able to participate and we were keen for one if 5 boats could enter but there was not enough numbers. As an ex-Hotrod owner member, I would like to see them out there, too. Cool Change, No Worries would have been the only 2 that would be suitable, just looking quickly at the entrants. Maybe next year?? if we run the race again....

I sure hope you run the race again. The course and timing ( Easter ) offer lots of options. The fantastic welcome from the Tauranga yachties to find rum and nibbles in the yellow bucket :clap: Great trophies too :thumbup:

YY,

you would want it to happen again as every time you sail, from my patchy memory, the boat does well, and it can't be luck, surely.

I can see why people hire professionals to run these events, it was a lot of work by many people and there seem to be less and less of those around. Luckily we had Ray (Fast Lane) step up to head the event and then the rest of us came in to assist. I'm not sure where I was placed within the organising committee but I tried my best on Crew.org and emails to past entrants.

I discovered MarkM to be amazing as I said, that helps you stay positive.

I hope we will run the event again, the fickle weather at Easter is a concern along with the dwindling no.s for yachting events, in general.

It's global warming I reckon !!

Sitting in the bay at Great Mercury. There was as much wind for the trip home as there was going down. Motor got a good workout. Will hit the trail early tomorrow. Great reading the reports and looking at the results. It certainly was a race with plenty of passing lanes. We worked on the principle that when the wind is from the east that's the ace to be. By the way there were three hot rods. You forgot AA.

Yes, I thought about the boat, but I was not sure if AA was in the new classification. It is great to see a real keen guy out there and we all should encourage such enthusiasm. Sorry to miss you out AA, good luck with all your future plans.

Hi Sundreamer,

thanks for your input. There are lots of improvements that can or could be made and you observations are valuable.

I helped with the organising of the event and if we do the race next year we must improve. I was hoping for an improved performance too. Something to work on.

During the race I didn't devote any time to sending texts and reports because of the demanding nature of light wind races, trying to get out of holes etc. - I found a couple of biggies. My crew was quite short on experience and so I couldn't add reports etc.

I agree the club website didn't have too much content and slow time updating - one problem was when we had to radio Coastguard (who send us the rounding times) there was a mayday silence (boat sinking at Kawau) and they were busy with that as well.

The predictwind tracker was great but hard to find the link for many people.

Thank you to all the entrants, organisers, helpers and followers, cheers Andy

Andy,

Have been having a think about what would have made the whole race experience better. Not much any of us could do about the race, it was what it was, but I think you could do some simple things that would have made life better once we arrived. We finished somewhere around 2.00pm on Friday, were tucked up on the Marina and having a snort by 3.00pm I guess and starting to party, but I was already having to think about getting home again. Plan was to bail as early as possible on Saturday and try and get back to the Mercs in daylight, but before that I needed fuel and provisions. My knowledge of Tauranga is not that great so I had no idea where I was in relation to shops, transport etc. Compounding this was that there was no one at the yacht club on Saturday morning to ask. Back in the good ol' days I did a number of Auckland - Gisborne races. Each time the local Yacht Club appointed a member as a 'host' for each boat. This persons job was to make sure that the yacht and crew were taken care of for the duration of the visit. I made some lasting friendships through this process. Perhaps you could consider something like this. If I had not had a mate locally in Tauranga who put himself at my disposal we would have struggled to get away. A few notes on this sort of logistics placed in the bucket might have helped as well.

Overall I had a great weekend and enjoyed my very short stay in Tauranga, so please don't see this as criticism, merely what I hope is a suggestion that may make it easier for more people to enter next time.

Regards

That's a good idea, I could have helped you out or found some one. I have sent your message to be brought up next year.

If numbers were high we'd need a lot of hosts, but a list of helpful people would have been a good inclusion in the bucket besides the refreshments.

Thanks for the input, Andy

Some more feedback. I crewed on Superbird with G.D and we found the whole Tauranga race experience to be very enjoyable despite being the only Multi. entered

I live in Aussie and enjoy coming home for a sailing 'fix' twice a year. Tauranga and the Coastal.

Tauranga at Easter is perfect because of the 4 day window for a return trip.

Because of the smaller numbers of yachts entered we seemed to get more personal service once we arrived , a guy in an inflatable to deliver some much needed Rum and to steer us away from sandbanks and personally show us our Marina berth where Roger (Fully Charged) was there to throw a line to. Excellent friendly service!!

Great food ,showers and prizes ,friendly locals.

Just a couple of things we'll have to put more thought into next year. The marina piers get locked reasonably early at night and makes it difficult to return to the boat after partying.

Secondly,we knew we would be doing alot of motoring on the return trip so needed to take on more petrol and the nearest servo is a couple of k's away. 6am and no vehicle.

But hey, We'll be back next year for sure . Thanks to TYPBC

A Big thanks to Tauranga Yachting and Power Boat Club for running this great event aptly touted the' Ultimate Coastal Race'.

For the first time since we've been competing in this race the committee decided to drop the previous time limit of 6pm Friday and this helped us stay focused on completing the race. A great welcome followed and we were personally guided to your berth and helped to tie up, thanks guys. At the club we caught up with familiar faces from many previous coastal races, skipper of Open Country 'Adrian' to name one and his Boat Slut' Steve Alloway', seen him at many pre race briefs and prize givings but great to finally properly catch up with Steve on the booze. Me boat slut J.P was given the order to get fuel the next morning so I didn't find gassing up a problem at all.

The only complaint I had with the race was with that Bastard Huey, who delighted in heading us all the way to the Alderman's and blew with less strenght than one of J.P's farts :shock: to Tauranga and all the way back to the Whitford River.

See you next year.

Cheers Superbird :thumbup:

Just a note for LeBleaux.

What did you female crew think of the handmade jewellery they won from David Peet? :clap: If that is who I think you are?

Also Delacruz, there is a petrol pump at the bridge marina and another water accessible Gull pump even closer - just up from the Sulphur Point Marina by the railway bridges.

That makes a contact/host phone number a good idea :oops:

What did you female crew think of the handmade jewellery they won from David Peet?

I think they were pretty pleased. At least one of the items was worn all the way home. I am probably the wrong person to ask, so will seek some feedback for you. I thought the idea of having such a prize or two was a great idea.

Thanks, as Dave has been a great supporter over the years with his unique nautical jewellery (only he makes them and their retail value is quite substantial) and it would be great to give him feedback (photos maybe)

What did you female crew think of the handmade jewellery they won from David Peet?

I can say that our female crew (one) was pretty peeved not to win ;-) what a great idea putting forward prizes just for (us) females :clap:

The idea of having the race on ANZAC weekend is being discussed at TYPBC, but Easter has the advantage of an outgoing tide at the start (yes it could be timed for ANZAC probably), it is always a full moon on the first night of the race, and there is a longer period to get the boat home.

So that is something to consider with Easter.

Andy - info for David Peet from one of our lucky recipients.

'A beautiful bracelet that that I felt so lucky to have won. I have received numerous compliments when wearing it and it is still in beautiful condition after not having taken it off my wrist since the TGA prizegiving - so thank you very much for your kind sponsorship.'

Andy - a further response from the other recipient

"Firstly Tauranga race was awesome and its amazing to have so many sponsors committing to making the event such a great time. I absolutly love my necklace and haven't taken it off since I received it in Tauranga. Perfect jewelery for a sailing girl :)"

Please tell David his efforts are most appreciated.

Archived