SI Boat Builder ion Liquidation

wheels

Ian Franklin Boat Builders of CHCH and Waikawa has been put into Liquidation, owing just over $918,000. Most of it is owed to various finance companies, although over $236K is to unsecured debters.

Its been going downhill for a long time I believe. Always been talk of him owing money to people. Waikawa should have been profitable. Should have probably packed up the chch factory a long time ago. They built a huge number of racing yachts back in the day.

I have a few Questions.

Is this the "Official" end of boatbuilding in NZ? (other than Superyaccht builders)

How many new builds (under 50 foot) are being built in NZ per year now?

Do we have a production Boatbuilder in NZ?

Should the Boatbuilding industry, in NZ, declare a Drought and Claim some Government assistance?

:wtf: I'm just getting into boating as everyone seems to be getting out :wtf:

I looked at the price of a new build 35-40 footer but @$350-400k i decided you could get a very tidy 40 footer for well under half that.

A fair few 1000 and yes a few of them. You need to stop the negativity as all that comes from that is more negativity. Think positive and things will get better.

Anyway - Ian has had a ruff year or 2 with one place being nailed by an earthquake and then being booted out of the other by his landlord, the Ports of Marlborough, who them took Ians facilities and started up in competition to him. None of that would have help them at all.

A few other business's are also running into competition coming in the form of their own council. Just look at how un-marine business friendly Akl Shitty Council has become. That can only hurt both the industry and their very own ratepayers. Hell, Akl Shitty Council is even in competition with itself............ and it's all paid for by it's ratepayers.

Negatively? :wtf:

Sorry Knot me but i am asking questions. They were not statements.

I would suggest that to ignore the reality of the situation would be the most negative thing you could do.

As for 1000 can you quantify and detail where and when?

It was a negative tone post.

Rayglass, Surtees, Stabicraft, McLay, Haines would very easily account for a few 1000's boats each year alone, a significant number of those being exported.

Add in Weta, Thingy-a-me-bob in the bays doing all the Olympic boats, the very high tech fancy sh*t coming out of Walkworth and the others, a few more 100 there.

I saw a pair of large rafts in the harbour Wednesday evening, they looked pretty damn flash and while knot that fast I think they probably are in the right condition ;) Both came out of a yard on the Nth Shore.

Sure knot that many are the sort Ian built but then if NZers decide to support foreign tupperware manufacturers that do get subsidised by their Govt, the Franklins of NZ will always be the ones who suffer the most. But then looking at the boats NZ, inc Ian, was building a fair few of, we see all those classes have died dead so if there is nothing to play in with your toys it's little wonder no one is building the toys.

You are one deluded man KM.

You read into things with a defensive mind set.

What are you defending?, or do you work in the industry?

To then repy with Fizz boat examples kind off proves my point.

YDL is out of work. Alloy Yachts are pretty lean at the mo. But there are a few others ticking along OK. Formula Cruisers have a few on the go. We have seen a big increase this year in the small boat market as KM has pointed out.

As Franklins built both power and sail I do apologise for replying with both power and sail in mind.

I promise to put on my clairvoyant hat next time and read stuff into your post you didn't actually write.

Read, with both eyes, my post again knotme.

where did i mention Franklins? You do really read more into something that is no intended.

Then you introduced fizz boats in a yachting forum.

The only negative tone here is you. to my posts.

Sorry knotme but you are out of line.

i assume you are wotking for, or a supplier to Franklins

A fair few 1000 and yes a few of them. You need to stop the negativity as all that comes from that is more negativity. Think positive and things will get better.

Anyway - Ian has had a ruff year or 2 with one place being nailed by an earthquake and then being booted out of the other by his landlord, the Ports of Marlborough, who them took Ians facilities and started up in competition to him. None of that would have help them at all.

The earthquake had nothing to do with it and didn't damage his yard. When you have a big factory, you pay big rent and unless you have big export orders coming thru then....

Production boats, pretty tough to compete against the likes of govt subsided high volume Beneteau. NZ just doesn't have a big local new yacht market anymore. Or successful "rule" boat designers to sell big internationally. Up here in Asia Multihulls are where its at and has been for a few years. Just visited Cebu where about 8x Mumby 48 cruising cats are being built at the moment, Aussie know how and Philippine labor.

Read, with both eyes, my post again knotme.

where did i mention Franklins? You do really read more into something that is no intended.

Then you introduced fizz boats in a yachting forum.

The only negative tone here is you. to my posts.

Sorry knotme but you are out of line.

i assume you are wotking for, or a supplier to Franklins

Hang about SWELL. You are just as hypocritical in your post. The Thread is about Franklins. We are talking the boat industry here, not just Sailboats. Fizznasties are boats last time I looked. KM did not have a negative tone, in fact he was saying lets not get negative. And no he has nothing to do with Franklins in any way shape or form. He does however, have a finger on the pulse of the NZ marine industry.

The earthquake had nothing to do with it and didn't damage his yard. When you have a big factory, you pay big rent and unless you have big export orders coming thru then....

Ummm, yes the Earthquake did. It may not have destroyed the Building, but it sure dried up the work. He doesn't exactly have a big Facility down in CHCH. It's just big enough. Bendyboats aren't the entire reason. There are many other imports as well. But really, none of these imports have actually caused a problem with the Building side of things. They have introduced people to yachting that would never have been able to afford a new yacht. They have however, given the secondhand market a good thrashing.

The real biggy to the boating industry being down at the mo is purely the economic situation around the world.

Getting back to Franklins however, I suggest the reason why he has gotten into the situation he has, is due to the amount of money he has Borrowed. Over $600K is to various finance companies. That takes a lot of work to maintain. Ian has always worked rather close to the wind financially, ever since he moved into Waikawa some 20 odd years ago. But then, he wasn't the only one.

Ummm sorry wheels have you been to the factory in Chch?, just big enough for what, building 70ft prepreg yachts then fixing trailer sailers with about 4 staff?. I had a business in the marine industry in chch and had the busiest year after the earthquakes. Davie Norris has been surviving on local work and minimal staff since he doesn't have any big builds going on at the moment. Franklins owed some company's in chch a lot of money before the earthquakes.

Ummm, yes the Earthquake did. It may not have destroyed the Building, but it sure dried up the work. He doesn't exactly have a big Facility down in CHCH. It's just big enough.

No point discussing with Wheels and Knot me Kestral.

They know everything :roll:

I've just read about 5% of their 20,000 posts and it looks like they can contradict their own arguments and have "negative" tone, as and when they like, because they are Crew stalwarts, yet we cannot as we are but mere beginners.

Funny how a thread about Franklin's is twisted into a Fizz boat debate, to suit an argument, and make positive an issue regarding yacht production on a yachting website forum.

Then when they don't like what they hear (which were NOT statements) they suddenly become the negative police.

For me, forums are ruined by over zealous boffins who negate other peoples comments with obvious biased comments.

From a learners perspective, i believe Yacht building is struggling and to put a fizz boat "positive" spin on it is like being a ostrich.

knot me and Wheels, are you a supplier or involved in the industry?

I bet you are.

Guess I'm negative too, NZ had a terrific industry building sailboats like the Lotus, Chico, Cavaliers, Lidgards, Robertson, Farr 1020's, 11.6's Ross, Whiting and a bunch that came later after I left the country.

That industry is now pretty much dead, we can debate the reasons but I think no one can seriously debate that fact.

Archived