SI Boat Builder ion Liquidation

wheels

Guest mental outlook
A Farr 395 is a good deal and shipping from USA via sea would be about 5k? yes/ no?

I think if you added a '0' to the end of your '5' you would be closer to your import costs.

Some comments from another Forum about the 395

was this one of the issues that the farr 395's have had...,

No, I have never seen a 395 with this problem, Im pretty sure the hull materials are different.

That said they did have there own problems.

Do you care to elaborate?

Some had bonding issues with the grid. They replaced some grids in some of them as well.

The 395 issue (for most of them) is that the lay=up schedule was a little misguided and the step from solid (around the keel) to cored hull was not feathered properly leading to small stress cracks. Since it is a balsa core - much rotteness insues and the boat goes soft. Raced on one this season and it had the entire core from the keel to the bow replaced - a $100K+ job. Real shame as it is a good R/C for light air venues. Some also had issues with the forward bulkhead tabbing to the hull.

Not a bad buy but you have to very aware of the potential problem areas and a very thorough survey is in order.

Not everything is on the on internet or a forum. Sometimes you have to make phone calls and send a few emails to find the correct information, especially if you are serious about spending $200+ k on a boat thats not even in NZ.

Any thing is usually fixable it's just a question of how much you want to spend and how comfortable your are in 35 round the back of Stephens with the family on boad in a boat that is known to have some Structual issuess. I picked the not for me box.

Granted some structual issuess are a design fault but a good boat builder also has a pretty strong understanding of design and engineering. When we where building boats designers and boat builders where always in communication rasing concerns isuess etc.

Shipping cost from the states at the time I was looking was around $25k us, you then have to pay 15% duty 5% gst on the boat, you also have to pay Gst on the cost of shipping. Then there is flights, accom, time off work, the boat has to be in a shipping port, the rig has to be pulled etc insurance for the trip wasnt cheap either. 50k easily.

(boats but side by side the Ross boat looks like it was carved in the stoneage. Just my humble opinion of course)

....that's like comparing a mum to her daughter 15 years her junior lol! We would all like the younger version :P but realistically...... How many weekends for how many years have Ross's Youngs Elliotts been rocking up to go racing / crusing and thy're still doing it :clap: :clap:

I still think a The Ross 40's look sh*t hot!

Archived