Building a rudder - old thread

rigger

Travellin Man

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:37 pm Post subject: Building a rudder

I have the rudder mold that Adrian made off the Gaucho form, although lengthened as I understand it. Better shape than my original though. I was going to build it our of carbon to keep it as light as possible. has anyone else done one and would like to share some knowledge?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

funlovincriminal

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:12 am

Gary from train smash got the high density foam for our one, and sourced the carbon and glass too. We went halves and built two at the same time, worked out great. We cut the foam (10mm I think) into strips about 25mm wide and laid them lengthwise around two hardwood packers running through where the gudgeon bolts go. These packers taper away as they get about halfway down the blade. After gluing all the foam in we planed/sanded it down to flat and level with the mold mating surfaces, mixed up a thick glue and bolted the two halves together. If the glue seeps out all around as you tighten it up you've got it right!

I have a bit of a photo journal of our lay up if you want it.

If Alex is helping you you'll be sweet, just make sure you tape the edges of the mold real well and wax the hell out of it to avoid binding up!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:12 am

I plan to do the job myself. Have rung high modulus who will do a layup design if no one has one already. Don't know how much they will charge. Will let you know when I do.

funlovincriminal

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:26 am

I can email you the layup we figured out if you like. Its not all carbon though.

Archived