2GM20 leaky water pump

It would seem that my Yammy raw water pump has become incontinent!! (Only 600hrs!). I know johnston makes these for Yanmar and I know the agents here want to empty my bank account for a new one! Any advice? Google searches turned up little.

How handy are you? No, not a left an a right hand, how good are you with a tool? No going there either. I mean, are you mechanically minded?

It is easy to do. But go buy the bearing and seal from the local bearing supplier. Auckland Bearing Supplies on Daina Drive Glenfield is where I get all my bearings and seals and they would even help with some advise.

If you aren't "mechanically minded" then pop around the corner and see me and I can help you.

Just why these outfits charge what they do I can not work out. You should be looking at about $30 to maybe $50 for the materials and if you are slow, an hr of labor at the very most.

Arr!! Mucho grassy arse Wheels! Quite handy with MY tools!!! (drive trucks and repair the buggers from time to time). I will certainly shove the &%$ in the vice at work and strip it down then follow your directions and hope I don't lose my bearings getting there!! :D

If you buy any other than a genuine seal the boot spring will rust through in no time at all. Get AES or whoever supplies it to fit an appropriate sized O ring or use the stainless boot spring from your old seal if it is still OK. I can't remember the seal size but my 2gm actually had a 3/8" shaft size for the impeller rather than metric so don't assume all sizes are metric

UPDATE!!.... (or more a confession of stupidity!!)

Fitted the rebuilt water pump and...... NOTHING!! No leaks but no water either. Pulled it off and replaced it with a new pump (bought cheap second hand) which needed the pulley turned around to align with the engine and no problem.

Error? Weeeeelll. Decided to put some lithium grease in the rebuilt pump to help protect the bearings etc only to later realise that the impeller wouldn't work because the lube stopped the impeller to create a good seal to draw water through!!.

Thanks to all those who helped (Wheels in particular!!).

Archived