ETNZ ~ ETGD

appears GD takes the Govt money and does not account for it nor give the profile on rhe boat that the Govt asked for and GD agreed to.

Just classic mate. The only thing that is apparent here is that you are still unable to read news articles properly. On the one hand the article claims that the govt doesn't actually know if ETNZ complied with its obligations, while on the one hand ETNZ claims that it has it just that the govt can't figure it out for itself. It even goes on to say that the 'main info' required of ETNZ was provided on time and the boffins in the ministry acknowledge that.

Really - now you are just getting to be pathetic.

(...)Went fishing for a few fishy's (...)

(a) Hmmm.... isn't that called "trolling"? :mrgreen:

(B) Much as I think winning the A/C was utterly cool... I'm absolutely f****d off that the taxpayer or ratepayer funds ANY sporting activity whatsoever. I fund my own goddamned hobbies*, why the hell can't other people do likewise? If we weren't constantly being fleeced for white-elephant stadia and one-time racing machines we might be more able to pursue our own activities.

*almost mistyped that as "hobbits", which would have put a completely different spin on things.

so $44 million for advertsing a Dubai airline.

:thumbdown:

Nope - $44 million for a shot at returning the Cup to NZ, the financial benefits from that (whatever the number but it includes tourism), the international exposure for the NZ yachting industry in general as world leaders.

So one day when the dollar comes down overseas buyers will again pump cash through NZ, as we are some of the best at innovative boat building.

That is good for the NZ Taxpayer. If it were a billion dollar upside and IMHO thats very, very light then 44m is 4.4%

Looks like a great bet to me but I'm not a paint salesman with a compulsive pulling problem.

What most people seem to overlook is that the return on the governments investment has probably been paid off already. The politicians of the main parties agree - Mallard stated as much with the taxes from GST and PAYE will easily cover the costs. It was the same with the Hobit. It is a win win for the country. The problem is that it is not a good look. Ammunition for the tall poppy loppers who don't like the rich and famous to get tax breaks.

The NZ economy is big enough to make a $44 million bet against a bigger return whether its sign-written or not. The verbals in the commentary and international press will do the work if we win - Emirates Team New Zealand

Its petty cash in the bigger picture of a potential win.

And SB - I'm not a blind ETNZ supporter, I'm an optimist that would be proud if NZ wins and what that could do for the marine industry here.

I'm also a person that will take a bet for good odds and return. Unfortunately there will always be knockers out there like you with an inherently negative view borne out by your 440 odd posts knocking anybody successful, questioning yachts for sale that you have never been on etc. etc.

So I don't respond as an ETNZ cheerleader - more a person with national pride and a positive view of the upside of a win. Add to that a basic dislike of negative, time wasting trolls and yes, I will reply.

Laters...

the debate is weather NZ is gettting vaule (sign writing on boat) for money gifted to ETGD.. too date. Not in the future based on "IF"

That is blatantly obvious. In fact, both major parties agree on it, so it is very clearly irrefutable. The PAYE and other taxes received are more than what the government has put in, so there is a net gain. Simple economics, really.

An interesting debate that regularly polarizes people. Last winter we spent four months roaming Europe spent most time in France, Italy and German but visited 10 countries overall. Almost without exception people knew about New Zealand because of;

A, Rugby, and not just the RWC.

B, The Lord of The Rings and the wonderful scenery exposed.

C, Sailing, in particular the Americas Cup.

So, one could argue we should disband the Govt Tourist Board (or whatever it is called now) and pour the cost of running that into even more sports and entertainment to encourage tourism, it is one of our major earners.

the debate is weather NZ is gettting vaule (sign writing on boat) for money gifted to ETGD.. too date. Not in the future based on "IF"

That is blatantly obvious. In fact, both major parties agree on it, so it is very clearly irrefutable. The PAYE and other taxes received are more than what the government has put in, so there is a net gain. Simple economics, really.

Both parties do not agree which is why Steven Joyce is looking into it.

In fact National tried very hard to get out of this deal but Labour signed their life away on it and ETGD suckered them in.

As motorbike so eloquently stated above there is no documented figure showing any benefit to date.

Visitors to our shores fro the last eight years have been mostly Asian and not at all interested in the AC

Our harbours will draw people here despite an AC.

In terms of PAYE. Paying 44 Million has not returned much money yet.

ETGD would have spent the same amount in NZ without this donation. And nowhere was there an agreement that made ETGD stay here if they took the donation.

The other teams that are here would have probably been here despite the Donation. So that income is irrelevant.

And these teams are probably paid via an offshore arrangement.

I doubt, like the RWC, that any positive income has come from this so far. And if some has well it would have happened anyway.

- Asian visitors have increased, but they spend minimally in comparison to Northern Hemisphere visitors, and this amount hasn't increased.

- Given the amount of staff ETNZ have, tax would be well over the government contribution.

- Who says ETNZ would have stayed in NZ without the donation?

- 'probably' paid? Again, inside knowledge you're not sharing?

I'm not a fan of government delving into areas which aren't in their area, or big corporate shenanigans, but in this case the spend doesn't worry me. It's pretty bloody obvious there are benefits.

Your conspiracy theories of what is or isn't happening is fanciful speculation, and nothing more.

And SB - I'm not a blind ETNZ supporter, I'm an optimist that would be proud if NZ wins and what that could do for the marine industry here.

I'm also a person that will take a bet for good odds and return. Unfortunately there will always be knockers out there like you with an inherently negative view borne out by your 440 odd posts knocking anybody successful, questioning yachts for sale that you have never been on etc. etc.

So I don't respond as an ETNZ cheerleader - more a person with national pride and a positive view of the upside of a win. Add to that a basic dislike of negative, time wasting trolls and yes, I will reply.

Laters...

Nicely Said! :thumbup:

All the photos I see of the 72 all have 'New Zealand' on the boat in many prominent places. The biggest words on the hulls are New and Zealand.

Conspiracy theories? please extrpolate on that. :wtf:
Easy peasy. Look at a lot of the posts some dude called Summer Breeze made, they are chocker with conspiracy theory.

Having recently been in San Francisco the talk is of Oracle and not which countries the crew is from, but they sure as hell do know where the fastest boat is coming from, New Zealand.

Either way. I wish our government here had the balls to commit to a challenge like NZ has .... seems we can supply key personnel for crews but our government will NOT stand behind what they consider an elitist sport. (will avoid my political views about her here) .... I just hope that NZ kicks arse in San Fran.

Archived