NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

the model is a bit past it, but was cheap - only wanted a rum after the shoot.

yes thinking the tunnel thing up the center - buy the time you get all you pilot gear under there as well, I'm sure myself and a few others wouldnt get out in a hurry. thinking 450 square hatch minumin.

post-234-141887154164_thumb.jpg

Wouldn't it be better to have an escape hatch in the hull say behind the keel somewhere?

I'm thinking about a lockable hatch that pushes straight out with a sacrificial plug to make sure that hull is fair.

That way if she turns turtle it would be much easier to get out, rather that forcing your way down to the stern through all the crap thats bound to be flying (floating) around?

Or is the location determined by the reg's?

SHANE

Has anyone considered the best way to fit out the escape hatch is to lose some weight?

Makes complete sense.

So where do you get these lighter weight escape hatches ;) :lol: :lol:

Hay all,

Im new to here (only bout an hour ) but i think i may have what you are looking for. I have been working with a top Italian and kiwi yacht designer for a while and we (and i) have designed a 21ft race yacht that is what i think is a far better and safer design the the mini transat yachts.

I have also been working very hard and long over the last 12 mths to create a race based on my design from NZ to Perth. I have based it on the mini race in France and took what info they have and adapted it to suit my event.

Im looking at getting the race underway sometime next year. (dates etc to confirmed).

I have always been very frustrated by the BS rules and constant changes that the french make for there race that mine is very simple.

* My boat is a one design

* The race is open to solo and double handed sailors.

* You get a fully set up (non painted) race yacht at cat 1 including 2 sails for approx $100k

the race will be fair, and once you purchase a boat (either fully made and in the water or kit form) you get access to the list of suppliers to fit the boat out accordingly to you of your sponsors style.

Basically the boats will all be the same and have the same rules for everybody.

The boat will be very strong and light, and very safe, and it will be (to my knowledge) the first long distance offshore yacht race in NZ (not including the trans Tasman race).

I am also in the process of building a website etc, but please feel free to contact me with questions.

Its still early days so im keen to see how much interest there really is in nz?

So far i have 9 boats presold (and one to an aussie)

So i think that this is what we have all been waiting for.

I look forward to your feedback. (please note that im unable to give to much away on this site due to legal reasons.)

GFS

Has anyone considered the best way to fit out the escape hatch is to lose some weight?

Makes complete sense.

So where do you get these lighter weight escape hatches ;) :lol: :lol:

I am sure we could make you one to fit you :D

Cule Hatches

Progress - well almost, I have had a word from class mini that our ISAF, ISO questions have gone to there technical committee. So a baby step forward in the right direction

Guest mammoth
Im new to here (only bout an hour ) but i think i may have what you are looking for. I have been working with a top Italian and kiwi yacht designer for a while and we (and i) have designed a 21ft race yacht that is what i think is a far better and safer design the the mini transat yachts.

* My boat is a one design

* The race is open to solo and double handed sailors.

* You get a fully set up (non painted) race yacht at cat 1 including 2 sails for approx $100k

the race will be fair, and once you purchase a boat (either fully made and in the water or kit form) you get access to the list of suppliers to fit the boat out accordingly to you of your sponsors style.

GFS

I'm not so interested in the trans tasman stuff, but the idea of a fast sportboat type boat like a mini that can also have a bit of accomodation and somewhere to sleep doing some short handed sailing would be very interesting to me.

That's why I ended up not going for the Viper and a couple of other boats on trademe; the problem is that those boats you need 4 guys stacked on the rail or the thing won't go, something a bit better short handed would be great. Cat 1 in such a small boat is impressive.

Please keep me posted on what you end up coming out with. This boat will also comply as a Mini as well? Any chance of a rendering?

ISAF and ISO 12215 cert for cat 2, 1, and 0 racing

OK Now I probibly know more on this subject than yachting NZ.

Nothing from ISAF yet, but with a lot of digging around there site I found a flow diagram of steps. In there it shows that we either go directly to one of there notified bodys, or through ISAF to a notified body. The body then reviews our structural plans, and if they pass the body then get the cert from ISAF. We went back to our engineer and the notified body, the body did some investigating and yes that's how it works. $ you ask, well we pay the notified body end of story. Not cheap but there is two rudders, two canards, a swing keel etc etc.

Now what will be very interesting is Class Minis take on the new structural rules

Guest creative suffering

with all respect to the few people in this thread who are actually doing something!

it appears to me (and i stated this previously) that after all the postureing, huge talk, great ideas, a meeting, and brilliant initial keenness, that besides a couple of people (fng...) that the numbers confirmed to build a actual boat with a view to racing it within the next 2 years is very close to the number 2.

can we have a show of hands to see the actual commited numbers, their "Build" time frames, ... and, also where are the websites, class association, building site (for bulk "One site" build) plans?...etc...

it appears to me that this is all wind and little motion!

No disrespect to FNG and people actually building one (whoever they are?)

either the "talkers" start buiding! one (and support the cause) or stop dribbling on!

either way this is a great (local / international) concept (pity the orignator bailed though) and the yachting public need to see the progress and numbers so they can make a informed decision weather to get involved with something (that is actually of value and not a 2 boat fleet) or not!

Have Patience CS,

unfortunately we no longer live in a she'll be right world - well at least the international stage doesn't. those that are interested want to do it right and have an internationally viable boat. This means we must get all our ducks in a row first. Now we wait for Class Mini to have there say on the impending ISAF ISO changes.

Currently the rules state the ongoing ISAF rules (ERS and OSR categories 1 to 5) apply. then they state how the rules are changed for the current season.

Untill they state weather or not we must comply with the ISO construction standards and have the ISAF cert we wait.

With this response we will be calling another meeting for all interested parties to disscuss actual costings and the way fwd, and then CS watch this space

Guest creative suffering
Have Patience CS,

unfortunately we no longer live in a she'll be right world - well at least the international stage doesn't. those that are interested want to do it right and have an internationally viable boat. This means we must get all our ducks in a row first. Now we wait for Class Mini to have there say on the impending ISAF ISO changes.

Currently the rules state the ongoing ISAF rules (ERS and OSR categories 1 to 5) apply. then they state how the rules are changed for the current season.

Untill they state weather or not we must comply with the ISO construction standards and have the ISAF cert we wait.

With this response we will be calling another meeting for all interested parties to disscuss actual costings and the way fwd, and then CS watch this space

FNG i understand all that, and i understand a few "go faster' guys with dosh, big nads and the "international" regatta thing washing around in his head".

but at a local racing level what are the numbers?

as i see it only a very few number will be focussing on the international (big wads of cashola... douglas) concept!

what about the others like me who would rather do a local thang and vang around the ocean in a local concept on a moderate budget and see what develops from there!

i think we are missing the 'gybe mark" here! and sailing for the moon!

my be we should ask the Fourumites where thier preference would be.

i say Sacre bleu to the frogs and lets go hard locally and have fun with a boat that meets the basic box spec, is cheap and something we can have fun in our own playground without all the french dramas, reg changes (now and future) and costs.

do be honest we kiwi are "seat of your pants ', "barbed wire kind of guys" and i think most would rather have big local numbers blasting around the coast than 2-3 hi tech, big $$$ machines on foriegn waters!

cost is a big factor here!. and i think the cost of being "internationally compliant" will scaree people away.

sure if your,ve got the cashola go for it! but lets get the local thang happening as a priority!

we are leaders not followers?

Personally I would rather coff up my share ( perhaps 2k ) towards having an international stamp with the view to perhaps being able to sell for euro 45k instead of nz 45k, and so it holds us up two months, doesn't bother me waiting. And you will also find our versions are not that much heaver than the carbon cash cows. We are only talking around 30kg difference. But hey CS I sure the others would be happy for you to join us in whatever you bring to the table. Hows that thicknesser and ram set gun going, you must be planked by now, how about some progress photos

I understand where you are coming from CS. I am one of those people keen to build and have space in the garage ready to go. The only question is what design to build. The ISO certification question has put the whole thing on the back burner. In all honesty the Mini 650 is not my preferred option but I'm prepared to look at it if it improves the chance of having at least a few boats to race against.

I think the chance of getting a large number of 650s builts isn't high because they don't tick enough boxes for kiwi yachties. Most people (with families) aren't going to build a pure race boat that you would struggle to camp out in for at least a couple of days at Gt Barrier over summer. The chance of getting the wife or girlfriend away on a 650 for the weekend... slim to none. If you build something marginally bigger that has the space of 7.9m Elliott/Ross boat but try to keep the costs down ($100k or less??) and make it haul ass then there is a much bigger pool of punters that would get interested.

I really like the idea of a high performance shorthanded yacht. To tick all my boxes I think it needs to be something which offers sport boat performance, cat-1 stability and enough room for a small amount of cruising.

Archived