NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

Thanks guys - Thought as much.

Not bad for 21 foot......

knot sure it was a direct comparison with the 50 foot canter - more like how far behind would they be...which I would assume would be less in a predominatly downwind race (CC on the right day) and quite a lot more in a predominantly upwind race (AKL Noumea 09) eeek.

Looking at race track, they would be 35%+ slower than the 50ft canters, and I think in a open sea they would hurt a lot more? Surely the new boats wouldnt be more than 1 or 2% faster than the ones on RT?

How fast is an 88 upwind?

Probably be a tick or two quicker Samin but remember, those boats had decidedly better than average people on board. Don't think they'll be many people who could get even a newer seriously tripped out 650 going quite that fast.

I dont think it is a good comparison with either a 50ft canting keel (2m $ vs .075m$) or a waka (daysailer at the best with a canting keel and trapeze). I think this boat packs a huge punch for boat of its size and it is a class that is internationally recognised and sailed. Development of such class could mean a great deal to Single and Short handed yachting which is not overly supported in NZ at the mo. :wtf: The price tag it carries is considerably small, I think Y88 i saw was about $200,000 plus for a new one and if you look at second hand (10-20yrs old) they go for 60K goodish ones. I think it would be awesome and lets get dusty and build them and start the class here in NZ. :thumbup: Im keen

or a waka (daysailer at the best with a canting keel and trapeze).

Except it has no trapeze, no canting keel, and went around the NI two handed. :oops:

My apologies guys, mixed em up. Different cattle of fish thou? T850 still has 2m on 6.5 and does not seem a cheaper boat (more lead, more material, bigger, inboard engine) 6.5 could be built really simple and again very expensively same as everything else....

mini 6.5 has half the lead of T850, around 400Ft sqare upwind of sails where T850 has 560FT, down wind 1200FT and T850 1700, mini has half the displ. :?

actually Whaka has no trapezes and no canting keel.

It is a Shaw 650.

BUt not sure i would be necessarily brave enough to sail it 2 up around the north island, might be a bit wet and a bit tiring trying to sleep below deck in the lockers :-)

A mini guy sails with me on my Shaw, and has told me that his experience (he has gone across the Atlantic in that race to Brazil on a series Mini, done most of hte Europe races) is that the Mini would be slower on all points of sail relative to a sportboat like the Shaw, especially when fully provisioned. Except maybe in the 30 knot+ range, and of course, you cannot really take a sportboat offshore unless you fancy sleeping on the trapeze etc etc.

So you'd expect to perhaps almost hold an Y88 beating in a sea and quicker if the water was flat perhaps, but the moment it was cracked off, the mini would be goooooooone; they have a rediculously large sail area to use.

All this is based on absolutely no experience or first hand knowledge, so therefore is perfect for posting on the internet ;-)

The average of the two 6.5s on racetrack (NZL403 (BBW's design) and Navman) is 0.809 which puts them right between Hard Labour and the NZ Sail Melges 24 on the Racetrack ranking.

So assuming the 6.5 can really stretch its legs off the wind that sounds ok to me. Kinda like the best of both worlds. :)

What else are you going to put in the water that you can go offshore on for the same money? i.e. circa NZ$75k

That is a good rating for a 21 footer.

Archived