NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

Do a chined series out of glass/ply, fixed keel and put the savings into a carbon rig. Interesting article in the latest Yachting World - review of the latest RM1260 production cruiser out of France.

Plenty of race winners built out of ply - Spencer had a few clues for example.

JP have you burned your way through that pile of cedar you had stockpiled?

I’m sceptical of these sub $150k numbers being batted around. I don’t want to be negative, but I have a reasonable idea of what WT cost me to refit. Essentially with her I started with a bare hull and replaced everything. Most of the gear is the same size as a mini. If I have some time I will compile the actual costs and it should give a pretty realistic comparison of what a very low budget mini fit out might cost. But I can tell you, there’s no change out of $80k if you include rig and sails. I’ve pretty cheap also…. you need to add a hull, canting keel, rudder, dagger boards and design costs after that.

A 30fter is close to hitting the water and so far it's cost less than 30K.

If you want to sex up to super flash yes that would cost a lot more but a basic 650 doesn't need to cost large.

I don’t doubt it for a one off ‘if it fits use it’ type boat. But to build a boat to a ‘class rule’ on the cheap is a lot harder. And then to have to repeat the process a few times for subsequent boats, without those ‘one off’ bargains and scores for every boat, the cost soon multiplies. Costing optimism is a great thing prior to the fact, although that’s what’s lead to a lot of NZ boat builders not doing so well financially.

Cool, just what NZ needs, more decades old boats :roll:

A new viable Mini could be in the water for 70-80K probably less if someone really wanted to.

Like yours KM?

you could have brought new!

I don’t doubt it for a one off ‘if it fits use it’ type boat. But to build a boat to a ‘class rule’ on the cheap is a lot harder. And then to have to repeat the process a few times for subsequent boats, without those ‘one off’ bargains and scores for every boat, the cost soon multiplies. Costing optimism is a great thing prior to the fact, although that’s what’s lead to a lot of NZ boat builders not doing so well financially.

:clap: :clap: :clap: well said WT

does anybody know what the cost is to ship a 6.50m boat, on trailer, from Europe?

:clap: :clap: :clap: well said WT

does anybody know what the cost is to ship a 6.50m boat, on trailer, from Europe?

If you drop the keel off and can fit it in a container on the diagonal its probably pretty cheap ($3-4k euros?). Its almost certainly cheaper to ditch the trailer as it will cost far more to ship the boat on it because of the way the volumetric weight calcs work for non-containerised stuff. You might even be able to get 2x in the same container.

Correct building to the rule at that price wouldn't be easy but it can be done. Like all boats it all depends on whether you back your skills or you need to sex up your crafty to offset lesser skills. And/or how much input you yourself has and a lot of other things but launching a Class Mini for sub 100K is doable.

The more you do?? all depends on how many and when I suppose. Read back and you'll see the issues with that.

A new viable Mini could be in the water for 70-80K probably less if someone really wanted to.

Like yours KM?

Like my?????? But taking a wild stab - I did buy my 650 new, I didn't buy the Mini (nor sell it by the way) and No you can't buy a new Ross boat.

I'd agree with Fineline. A 20ft container from mid EU costs me around 4K all up, a tad under.

Not wanting to hijack the thread or drift back to the GP26, but if we are being offered a GP26 for around $80k (delivered incl. duty and GST) then it should be doable for a basic mini, surely?

Sent: Wednesday, 17 October 2012 3:40 AM

Subject: RE: GP 26

Hello Peter,

As you have recently enquired about our GP26, I would like to share some information. We are about to sign with 3 clients and introductory pricing is about to end. For NZ, I can offer the following for a boat that is ordered before 2013.

In USD at current fx rate 1,30usd/1€

Basic Boat Landed in Auckland NZ USD 56,000, including sail Package Quantum Performance Dacron Main, M-H Jib, A2

Delivered to your prefferred yacht club/yard/marina for rigging.

Regards,

Serhad.

Correct building to the rule at that price wouldn't be easy but it can be done. Like all boats it all depends on whether you back your skills or you need to sex up your crafty to offset lesser skills. And/or how much input you yourself has and a lot of other things but launching a Class Mini for sub 100K is doable.

The more you do?? all depends on how many and when I suppose. Read back and you'll see the issues with that.

Like yours KM?

Like my?????? But taking a wild stab - I did buy my 650 new, I didn't buy the Mini (nor sell it by the way) and No you can't buy a new Ross boat.

I'd agree with Fineline. A 20ft container from mid EU costs me around 4K all up, a tad under.

i was talking you 930. thats 20yrs plus.

and you can buy a new ross if you want. in fact if you rocked on up to any builder right now they would build you anything you want.

Also you could pop one of the ross40 mould. The mould is on trademe fora sale @4K PLUS A WHITING 40 MOULD.

Not wanting to hijack the thread or drift back to the GP26, but if we are being offered a GP26 for around $80k (delivered incl. duty and GST) then it should be doable for a basic mini, surely?

Sent: Wednesday, 17 October 2012 3:40 AM

Subject: RE: GP 26

Hello Peter,

As you have recently enquired about our GP26, I would like to share some information. We are about to sign with 3 clients and introductory pricing is about to end. For NZ, I can offer the following for a boat that is ordered before 2013.

In USD at current fx rate 1,30usd/1€

Basic Boat Landed in Auckland NZ USD 56,000, including sail Package Quantum Performance Dacron Main, M-H Jib, A2

Delivered to your prefferred yacht club/yard/marina for rigging.

Regards,

Serhad.

YIP. But a good second hand one (650) is cheap as. check the links above.

12k can get you a average to good one. 60K (NZD) a competitive one. 100K a great one.

Fine line. Check the Forumfor mini 650's you can get one cheaper than that.

[quote="Justin Port

Fine line. Check the Forumfor mini 650's you can get one cheaper than that.

For a brand new one?

sorry yeah got ya! ... whoa :wtf: :thumbup:

of for a look1

Archived