2013 Simrad

This is an all out attempt to get the most Multi's ever into the event.

Please confirm on here that you are entering or I will be harrassing you daily until you do.

So we have 1 so far - Taeping.

Cheers

The Rev

Have done the last 2 years, but due to being out of the country for the first one, and boat out of the water for the second one, I'm (Voom) out this year. Will try and make the third race though.

New long course aroud the barrier looks awsome, am gutted to miss that one.

We could be interested on Fruition if there are some other cruiser orientated cats that are keen.

Where are the 2013 courses on line?? I can't find them on the SSANZ website.

There was a rumour the multis would do a shorter course for the longhaul 100 to enable cat 4 boats to compete in all three. Has this not eventuated? Otherwise we will do what we can.

No, that plan got rejected as it has every time it's been asked in the past. I can see the case both ways.....

I'm assuming Rev is looking at the 2012 courses which can be seen in the 2012 sailing instructions still online. I'm not aware of any changes for 2013

I'm pretty sure they have changed also

We've been getting the RNI stuff sorted but hold your breath

No maybe not, but it is coming soon

I can tell you that the long haul 100 will have 2 possible courses like the short haul 100 has 2

Longhaul 100/1 will be passing GB to port

It's 21years so there will be a few big things happening this year. :wave: :thumbup:

If as a group you all decide you want the gulf course the SI allow for us to put you on the #2 course and the lead swingers out the back

We would only consider the outside track if it was settled weather and collectively you were happy with it.

Don't think you'll see many 8.5's out the back of barrier. I'll be giving it a miss thats for sure.

As I'm not doing it, my opinion may not be worth much, but I love the idea of going round the barrier,many I would be super keen if the boat was ready. Weather forecast dependent of course, I'm not stupid.

There are plenty of shorter gulf courses, the big Simrad race is a different challenge, and I love it the way it is. Don't pansy it up.

As I'm not doing it, my opinion may not be worth much,

Your right Ken your opinion shouldn't mean much if your not racing. And considering how many races you have missed because your boat has been broken in one form or another, its rich for you suggest I should not be a "pansy" and put my boat in a position that I consider it may get damaged.

I think i'd be correct in saying that I have done more offshore night time multihull miles than any other owner in the 8.5 fleet, and the back off barrier in the middle of the night in an 8.5 two up is not some wear I want to be. I am quite happy for ssanz to use it as a course. I just won't be doing it, just the same as other owners don't enter the coastal or the simrad as it's not there cup of tea.

And talking last night to the other guys in that normally enter the simrad my thoughts are sheared by most of them, including at least one of the biggest boats in the open fleet.

We did the back of barrier course once in SD with Silverraider, Exodus, U2? I think finishing, Timberwolf broke on the way out. Hardest part was the beat out into a northerly that died left us a run down the back of barrier in a horrid left over slop. First and only time i was seasick on SD.

Really black out the back of barrier :D

Matty and I had a great time doing the 100 a few years back. Managed to beat Deeds on line and get the Sundreamer Cup for the series!

Glad they choose the short course though. It would not have been pretty trying to get an 8.5 around CI in the winds we had.

As I'm not doing it, my opinion may not be worth much,

Your right Ken your opinion shouldn't mean much if your not racing. And considering how many races you have missed because your boat has been broken in one form or another, its rich for you suggest I should not be a "pansy" and put my boat in a position that I consider it may get damaged.

I think i'd be correct in saying that I have done more offshore night time multihull miles than any other owner in the 8.5 fleet, and the back off barrier in the middle of the night in an 8.5 two up is not some wear I want to be. I am quite happy for ssanz to use it as a course. I just won't be doing it, just the same as other owners don't enter the coastal or the simrad as it's not there cup of tea.

And talking last night to the other guys in that normally enter the simrad my thoughts are sheared by most of them, including at least one of the biggest boats in the open fleet.

My comment was most definately not aimed at you Mr Potter (probably one of the most active boats out there), but I can see how you may have read that into it. Apologies if taken that way.

However, given I have started all races in the simrad series for the last 2 years, and will be aiming for the the complete series again next year, I hoped my opinion was of some relevance in general.

What I meant to say, was that we have lots of shorter races, I like the challenge of the longer ones, and don't want to see them shortened so we get home in time for tea. There are plenty of races like that already.

As for the number of races i've missed etc. The only race I have not done that I intended to due to damaage was the route 66 this year. I would have missed the nationals if iwas going to be around for it, due to the same damage. This last 18 months have been exceptionally busy at work and home, and I'm also not planning on doing a lot of sailing for the next 6 months.

Before launching into a defensive (and a little arrogant) reply, might pay to read more carefully and get your facts straight.

What I meant to say, was that we have lots of shorter races, I like the challenge of the longer ones, and don't want to see them shortened so we get home in time for tea. There are plenty of races like that already.

You haven't given that impression.

In the right conditions it would be fantastic to round Barrier but for 2 tired people handling a light racing cat in the dark, big seas and a lot of wind... go for it mate!

You were also against us applying to do the 86 mile small boat course, so yea ... I would say that you are calling us pussy's

Clipper how could I read it any other way? you quoted me! then insinuated that it would be pansy to do a shorter course. Which may in fact be the case, I don't really care.

I'm not campaigning for ssanz to shorten the long course just for multi's. Ssanz shouldn't pander to just one small sector of the yachting community. I think all the new courses are cool and they have done an awesome job as they usually do, there are a sh*t load of keelers that will enter and have a ball going around the back. What I said and you quoted still holds true, I don't believe you will see many starters in the multihull fleet if we go outside. I am also sure you would see more than the usual suspects entering the whole series if the long course was shorter.

I intend to enter the series as always, and am encouraging as many as I can to do so as well. It's awesome yachting and a great challenge. You never know if on the 10th of August the weather is looking really peachy I may just strap a set on a go but I doubt it.

If as a group you all decide you want the gulf course the SI allow for us to put you on the #2 course and the lead swingers out the back

Aside from Clipper (who isn't racing anyway) - I believe you would have more multihull series entries if it were understood that Multi's would be sent on course 2 for the 100, and we may actually get a decent fleet together (that was the indication from Vagabond's little poll on the 8.5 facebook page). I guess one question is: does this course require cat3 or cat4?

Course 2

Start passing Waiheke Island (port), rounding Cow and Calf Islands (port), Black Rocks (Motupotaka) (port),

Gannet Rock (starboard), Flat Rock (port), Motuora Island (port)to finish Orakei Wharf. (approx 100nm).

If I've got this wrong and there are 100's (or 10's) of people keen to sail round the back of barrier in multi then lets hear from you.

Hey Guys, to set the record straight here SSANZ asked the NZMYC for feedback on why no multi's finished the SSANZ 100 last year. There were also complaints from those that raced that the course was too tough for the conditions.

The feedback from people who actually raced that day was that the sea state was too bad, wind they can handle but the sea state was killing the boats and making tacking almost impossible.

A suggestion was to do the 86 mile short haul course as it is in relatively sheltered waters.

I put a poll up on the 8.5 fb site to find out if the 8.5's fancied that and Matthew canvassed the Open Division.

All but 1 voted for the 86 mile short haul course option.

SSANZ were contacted and the feedback was given.

The reply was that they didn't have the manpower to finish us. It would mean that the finish boat would have to be out there too early as the Multi's would be way ahead of all the rest of the fleet. A good point and fair enough.

The SSANZ is for the tough and they don't need to soften it up just because some of the boats and crew of the multi's are not that game. It's a taster for RNI isn't it? Maybe realise this when you enter.

First line of thread:

"This is an all out attempt to get the most Multi's ever into the event."

Was trying to address that. Yes SSANZ have their own agenda - RNI etc and all power to them, BUT that is kind of irrelevant to the multihull fleet (and most of the other competitors). I'd kind of like to enter a series where

1. I think realistically I can actually complete the series and 2. there will be some other similar boats to race against.

Archived