Transport Y88 from Gisborne - trailer hire

TonySparks

I have just bought a pivoting keel Young 88 moored in Gisborne and now need to get it back to Auckland. Trying to weigh up my options. I considered sailing the yacht back but have not previously done the Eastern Cape. Next option is to rent a trailer and tow the boat back. I have a 4x4 which will tow up to 3500kg but I am more worried about the width of the load.

Can anyone give me some advice on what may be the most cost effective way to bring the Y88 home.

Gidday Tony from another 88 owner :thumbup:

I have no direct personal experience to offer but have noted in the past that the haulage companies' charges seem to look pretty favourable in comparison to the costs and potential risks of the traditional delivery by sea.

The search function on this site is not outstanding but here are a couple of previous threads on the subject (I searched by words like "haulage" and "backload"):

http://www.crew.org.nz/forum/viewtopic. ... iew=unread

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21386&start=20 (check out the third post down on that page)

From what I can gather there are only a limited number of companies for you to call to get an idea of the cost.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Yep, I can highly recommend Exclusive Boat Haulage. Keep your options open, Gisborne to Tauranga might be cheaper and the guys at Bridge Marina do a great job.

Call all the boat haulage companies and put your name down for a backload from Gisborne.

With the beam of a Y88 you'll struggle to do it yourself. You'll need a licensed pilot vehicle and the roads in an out of Gisborne are windy and full of trucks

If I recall correctly the main part of the price is the loading/setting up, and yes you are overwidth.

BUT you have the opportunity to extend yourself and your sailing experience - Sail it home! Get someone more experienced to go with you if that makes you feel better. The boat can do it! I did on my first real coastal passage (Raven 26, from Kerikeri round North Cape to Mana in Wellington) and it was an adventure at the time, and one I'll never forget :D

Ok, so who is up for a sail from Gisborne to Auckland over the Queens Birthday weekend :D ? I am willing as is one of my regular crew. I have not sailed that piece of coast before and would love to have an "old hand" on board for my first time.

Current long range forecast looks like there will be a big high sitting over the North Island - so could be a motor sail. Put the hammer down and go for it.

Good luck! :thumbup:

I'm with IT

Sail it back your in VHF and cell range the whole way unless you go way wide across the BOP

I don't think you will need a pilot vehicle, when I checked last year you can have up to 3 meters wide provided you have clearance flags and only travel during the day.

We actually had 3.2 wide, even had a cop pull up when were checking the trailer we thought he would break out the measuring tape but he just asked if we were OK. The cook straight ferry was an interesting experience also we only just cleared the check in booths. :silent:

Go haulage company. Pay the money, it will be well worth it in the long run and safer for your baby.

I like what SD did, drop it in at TGA and sail it home. Good way to get to know each other :thumbup:

What happened to the good old days!?

Hitch up a large car trailer.

Hy-ab her on, lash her down. Throw the stick on top.

Wait till 1 am and your off!

Ignorance is bliss.

Or a 9 metre flat deck with Hi-ab and you're :thumbup:

If I could find a large car trailer that's exactly what I would do, problem is, where do I find that trailer......

There are 2 or 3 nolex 30s at HMB boat parking. I would negotiate with them :thumbup:

Archived