Auckland Ross 830 Champs?

Kaihe Atamai

If 5+ boats can be found that wish to race, Richmond YC will add a Ross 830 division to their smallboat champs weekend.

This are usually held in the Fall around the end of the season and include the Marauders, Trackers, Reactors, etc.

Usually a few windward / lewards and a harbour race run over a weekend, with a party on the Saturday night at RYC.

So, who's in? What boats can we find?

Ross 830's in the Auckland scene:

Revolution Blues

Bump and Grind (hmmm)

Whale Rider

The Numbers Game

Le Clandestine Jet

Allgo

Free Willy? (was for sale)

Solo Convoy? (for sale...)

Wavecajin? (also hmmm)

agree about the 780's. There is enough boats from both classes to get enough for each class. just a matter of convincing.

I could enquire about a Ross 780s division - same rules apply, get 5+ boats together.

If I can't get 5+ Ross 830s interested perhaps we can make a Ross (780 to 830) division created :) I could rebrand RB as a Ross 780ss, with the ss meaning "super slow" if my results against XTSea are any indication.

It's not clear to me if inviting a bunch of "class" boats to a "championship series" is stepping on anyone's historical priority with these classes, anyone know the history?

OK, so still wanting to hear from more boats if possible - I imagine we could swing a Ross 830 division AND a Ross 780 division, or a combined division if there are not enough boats for separate divisions.

The current date for the 2014 associations regatta is May 3rd/4th. The NOR will not go out for a while so chat up your friends...

Good idea SD. Revo the concept of BNG racing stock boats isnt going to spin their wheels as its quite a different beast so I'm not sure how you would handicap. Perhaps the stock ones all get the average of their PHRF each vs our PHRF or something like that?

The regatta in question is to support class racing for smaller (

I'd guess a Ross 780 div would be welcomed, a combined Ross 830/780 div might be welcomed but no guarantees as this is supposed to be class racing. Idea is not a Ross 780 nationals - just a class regatta.

Regarding BnG - which is at one end of the Ross830 spectrum - we could likely find a way to make it work. I like to point out the only time I've ever raced BnG I won on line - heavy winds, gear issues and less crew is a great leveler. :) I doubt this will ever happen again!

As a racer I won't get involved with the handicap setting, sorry, nor do I suspect the RO would wish to ponder this publicly. Suggestions are always welcome and from what I can tell, given consideration.

If you don't already know we have a mildly modified r780.

We tend to keep up with or beat standard 830's, BnG had legs on us when we last raced her although I have a couple of new sails since then. I haven't raced against any 930's yet.

I'd be keen on racing against a bunch of other ross boats and would be quite happy to use race track handicaps.

- heavy winds, gear issues and less crew is a great leveler. :) I doubt this will ever happen again!

Aw Shucks Revo, you never know - stranger things have happened at sea....

I'm in the process of eliminating the gear issues right now tho :)

Archived