Foreign boat not allowed to leave.

Kestrahl

Are guys saying that digging tarseal off the side of the road to pay the seams of your boat is not acceptable anymore .. show me the bylaw, its freedom at stake!!

On a more serious note, Johnny Wray's boat Ngataki is restored now (or 95 % is anyway) under the Tino Rawa trust and will be relaunched sometime this year I imagine.

The roading chaps have built a new bridge over the Orakei railway line and the older bridge looks strong enough, so no issues there now, hopefully :wink: , but will the electrification of the railways affect the compass :?: .

Who has a keg of beer that needs the bung removed :?: :thumbup:

that man has the right idea , an affordable simple boat , out there doing it with few worries, :thumbup: existing on the smell of a 2 week old sardine If he has an epirb I doubt if he would activate it in as much as a hurry as some others we have seen on the news , leaving behind boats still floating perfectly well, loaded with food water and fuel.

Sorry Guys, it is a dream to travel the world, even by yacht, with no - or very little money. Many countries charge clearance fees, entry fees, light dues, anchor fees etc. Some choose not to clear in, some also end up in prison. There are still a few countries you can get away with it for a time, but they will catch up to you in the end.

It also adds stress - is that boat coming toward me officials coming to arrest me? Have I stayed to long and now risk arrest - now must leave regardless of the weather...

Also, "bludging" is not free. Someone is paying for that WIFI, power, mooring, whatever... It's fine (good) to minimize costs, but not to pay legitimate charges when using facilities is theft, and leaves the officials with a sour taste that greets the next sailor, and makes things more difficult for him/her.

The other issue is officials saying he can't leave. I'm still not sure I believe the story, but if it is true, then he should be able to sign away our responsibilities to look for him if he goes missing, then do what he likes.

Just had an 'aha' moment! Saw Sean being towed in to Matauwhi that day, after we'd been anchored in the same bay as him previous night. My first comment on seeing the boat was "What a hunk of [insert unfavourable expletive here] that looks!" So it comes as no surprise that Customs would have had concerns. Whether justified or not, I can't say. But I certainly don't blame them for wanting to dig a bit deeper (given the external appearance of the vessel) to establish whether it's seaworthy or not. I can also say that the Customs guy I know in Opua is a wholly reasonably guy, and not prone to sporadic outbursts of Jobsworthness. I feel sorry for Sean if his boat really is as capable as he protests, but I can totally understand the authorities' concern, given the potential expense of a rescue.

John B, sorry I missed Your post. (David this is a bit of the thread drift - move it if you want)

Leaving NZ mid winter is risky. Most, of course head up to the islands, the later you leave, the more likely you are to have conditions like we have this week. To early and there is a cyclone risk. Personally I think that June is too late - From the Northern N. Island, Mid may seems better, but late June is definitely getting more risky. From Southern regions, a bit earlier, last time I went to Tonga I went direct from Wellington on April 15. Yes, that gives more of a cyclone threat. Consider the conditions this week, the June Pacific storm of a few years ago etc. Weigh up the risks, then take your best shot.. I think you have to Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best!

Finally, it's down to Crew, Boat etc. For me that plays a big part in any decision. Many Cruisers find that the worst weather they see on a circumnavigation is coming to, and leaving NZ. You should respect the ocean...

I won't even think about heading East or (Gulp) South at this time of year... (in my boat, or virtually any small yacht)

Thanks for the considered response IT , I appreciate it. A bit conflicted though, I had the old 'June too soon' maxim quoted to me the other day and vicariously watching the various boats leave this year( many very happy with NZ American and other offshore cruisers amongst them) there have been a couple of nasty little out of nowhere lows develop around Fiji and drop down on them. The ICA picked a perfect window though didn't they, they seem to have had a very nice trip up to Tonga this year.

Sorry Island Time but the budget cruisers I admire won't be using wifi, power or moorings.

You can live the dream on next to nothing without dirtying the nest for others.

We towed a guy into Gove a few years back circumnavigating in a 3.6m boat with a seized outboard. Everyone pitched into help him, it all adds to the colour of cruising.

I absolutely object to those cruisers that can afford it trying to stiff the locals on anything but the true budget cruisers are in a different category to my mind.

No problem what so ever with budget cruisers, in fact I see them as real cruisers more than some of the poor buggers having to survive on a paltry $7K a month, as one said to me knot long ago.

But big issues with tin foil hat wearing friut loops budging and then slagging off NZ by saying the bollocks as this guy has. Get him outta here sooner rather than later.

darkside, did you actually read this guys stuff? He specifically mentioned breaking into local wifi etc...

So, if you are a budget cruiser, it's OK to "stiff the locals" in your book? If so, then we'll have to agree to disagree. Theft is theft.

You only get to go to another country as a guest, it's not a right... And, often due to this type of behavior, cruising is becoming more difficult, with more red tape, charges, and officialdom :cry:

Agreed KM.

Island Time, I wasn't necessarily referring to this guy when I said

"the budget cruisers I admire won't be using wifi, power or moorings"

On the second point you are right it is never OK even for budget cruisers but I wasn't clear. Everyone should pay their bills.

But that aside you can cruise on very little. Sure there are some places you just can't go to because of the fees and regulations but plenty you can.

From CF

Still in opua.

I am grateful for the information about the court case sellers vs maritime inspector as it gave me insight and grounds for argument.

I went to try to clear out today, and was informed by the (customs and immigration) officer that I was "detained" After further inquiry it turns out he doesn't know whether or not he is allowed to detain me after all, so he is going to have to contact lawyers in wellington to find out, but in the meantime I should assume the detention is valid.

If this isn't abusing power I don't know what is.

He also stated that he is no longer taking a stance on the issue (I believe to cover his ass) and instead has pushed it onto the maritime inspectors who only he can talk to, and take an undefined amount of time to make up their mind.

I left and came back later as to give time to call them.. but they didn't call back, so no information, no clearance. But maybe tomorrow or next week or...

I explained that it is entrapment to allow someone to check in, but not check out. He suggested that I could leave new zealand by airline and just leave the boat here. I explained that this is impossible for someone who doesn't fly. Maybe he is the same sort of person who would try to convince a vegetarian to eat meat. Besides, even if you did fly, who would want to abandon their boat because he says so?

I also argued that since people legally leave by kayak for australia, since I have a kayak on the deck that is enough reason I can go. He said it was an interesting discussion but he was not interested in having it.

He asked if I had cleaned up my "mess" as 10 days ago when he saw the boat, it was covered in driftwood to dry in the sun and had a few dozen plants in containers. as well as 400 watts of solar. I don't consider this a mess, only wishing myself to see more boats that can utilize the sun as efficiently.

Going back to the inspection 10 days ago, the first thing he said to me was "Do you have any dope?" clearly his intention is to incriminate someone who has not broken any law, not to solve a problem or improve anyone's life. The inspector commented that my boat looked like a "rubbish dump" which I find insulting considering it was covered in plants driftwood solar panels, and a lot of dirt everywhere (try large scale gardening onboard) which I find beautiful, while white shiny boats to me are an eyesore.. (literally blinding) but I'm not rowing up to people and telling them that.

During this inspection, I asked for a 50 meter tow.. would take less than a minute, and would greatly please my neighbor. In the end I had to wait until after dark when the tide switched so I could scull.. but it tells me he has no intention of doing anything no matter how trivial to be helpful.

This guy has created many problems for me as well as complications for other people. He is also in violation of international law. Never would have happened in new plymouth as they were very helpful there while also closely following the actual rules.

Why am I still here? The weather. I don't care about clearance that much, but I don't want the next guy to have this problem. Latest updates don't look so good for leaving tomorrow morning anyway.. it is somewhat marginal as strong headwinds are expected next week. I want a better window.

I saw this boat while she was in Whangarei. When I saw it at anchor my immediate thought was something along the lines of how the heck is that thing still afloat and how the heck did it make it here. I'm a great one for looking at boats and easily seeing what a coat of paint would accomplish, but seriously this boat did NOT look like one of those! I obviously don't know what it was like on board, but could certainly understand the inspectors perspective from looking at this boat.

You can take my words with a grain of salt as long as you do his as well. I don't know the guy, but certainly don't respect anyone who keeps their boat in that condition, and I sincerely hope this guy shuts his mouth until its sorted before he causes irreparable damage to our reputation in this country.

If this is the same boat that was in Tutukaka at end of January then I fully agree with Sarah. We actually talked about taking over some food that we knew we wouldn't use and would go off but then decided this could be a little embarrassing. That said looked like an early 70s Us boat probably laid up with a hull 1 1/2 inches thick. Real issue is likely the rig and rudder and the degree of maintenance

It's a Bristol 27 - they are built like a brick shithouse.

That's all well and good. But brick shithouses still need maintenance, and I would not have trusted anything attached to the hull of this thing unless checked very carefully.

He was fairly distinctive, so more than likely the same one seen in Tuts. I'm not surprised he was stopped from leaving, and really, how many boats are actually prevented from leaving? I think there has to be a damn good reason for it, and if anyone else doubting it here had seen the boat they would be thinking the same as me. Having said that, I look forward to hopefully hearing the real story with this, and if I do I will certainly share :angel:

Try putting yourself in his shoes - you've been sailing around the globe for a few years, decide to sail to a new country, they let you in, you spend some time sailing the coast, then decide to leave and suddenly find you can't.

If you had sailed to say Australia in your boat and were then told you weren't allowed to leave (because someone doesn't like the look of your boat) what would you do next?? Would you fly home and abandon your boat? Would you expect the country holding you hostage to cover the airfare? Would they throw you in gaol if you didn't leave, would they throw you in gaol if you did leave? Does he become an illegal immigrant if he's not allowed to leave?

Bloody great can of worms.

And I would completely understand if he sailed away unnoticed in the middle of the night.

And I would completely understand if this got a bit of press and other foreign boats chose not to come here as the risk of losing their boat was not one they would accept, or even just as a vote of solidarity with this guy.

Is there anyone here with appropriate experience/expertise who is close enough that they could go and just have a chat with this fellow and take a look at his boat? On one hand the behaviour of the customs/immigration officer, at least as described, seems a little officious - no way to know how accurate the story is but not allowing direct contact with the inspector seems a bit unhelpful.

On the other hand, though, if his boat really isn't up to the trip, it would be good if someone who doesn't have a particular axe to grind could at least try to offer him some friendly, candid advice. If it was someone in the industry I'm sure the effort would be appreciated by the folks here and perhaps it would provide some positive exposure that might partly offset the time involved.

I'm generally suspicious of bureaucrats getting in the way of people making their own decisions about how they lead their lives, but by the same token it would be good to know that this guy isn't just some delusional headed for a bad headline, or if he is that he was given every opportunity to make the right decision.

Have to smile at the irony of a person who can complain that someone won't tow them 50m for an inspection and won't clear them to sail 1000+nm offshore at the same time.

Archived