Foreign boat not allowed to leave.

Kestrahl

Does anyone think that if he has not got the ability to move the boat 50 meters under his own power, that maybe, just maybe, this is a little warning sign of why he has been judged as unsafe to leave?

He rows it with a long oar, just like the Pardeys do, plus he has ( had? ) electric outboards. He's been down west coast N.I. plus the least the Marlbourough sounds, maybe further. Let him go, give him his clearance. I'm sure he feels capable of continuing his journey without being a hastle to anybody. After all he could up anchor and sail to Bluff tomorrow without the authorities stopping him, whats the difference to letting him sail to Fiji or wherever.

Try putting yourself in his shoes - you've been sailing around the globe for a few years, decide to sail to a new country, they let you in, you spend some time sailing the coast, then decide to leave and suddenly find you can't.

And I would completely understand if he sailed away unnoticed in the middle of the night.

And I would completely understand if this got a bit of press and other foreign boats chose not to come here as the risk of losing their boat was not one they would accept, or even just as a vote of solidarity with this guy.

Yes, I'll put myself in his shoes. If I was in his shoes and ticked off at the inspector, I would be following that up through the correct channels. That would be conversatons with the inspector, and then his boss, then his boss..until I get what I think is right.

He's apparently done all that sailing, so if he's confident in himself and his boat why doesn't he just bugger off? Don't even have to do it at night, just GO. Stop his bellyaching. I'd prefer it if he just left and no one noticed. Then he can skite all he likes once he gets there, and hopefully our scant search and rescue don't have to waste time and energy finding him.

I'm going to stop commenting now. I've suddenly realised that instead of doing my usual lurk through this forum I've got mad enough to start spouting :D

Thanks for reminding me of that Steve. Very pleased in fact, as I can now give him some credit for apparently caring to some extent about those pesky rules. I do so like looking on the positive side of things :D .

Guess it depends where he wants to go - Fijian customs, for example, is very much "by the book" when it comes to paperwork, so if he doesn't have an outward clearance from NZ, not sure how they'd react, but suspect it might be unpleasant. Have to say that my own experience with the customs guys in Opua has always been good. Practical, no-nonsense and courteous.

An outward clearance or zarpe is a requirement to clear into most, but not all countries.

I agree Fiji would be tough without one. We got pinged in Suva for forgetting just a coastal clearance from Levuka and had to pay a fine.

I have arrived back in Opua without one (New Caledonia customs were on strike) and had no problems. We also arrived in Turkey from Egypt without one as we didn't want to stop at the horrible tie up in Port Said. We then found it hard to even get one issued by most of the customs agents while in the Med.

Yes, most of the Med customs guys (EU) we came across (2007-2008) were only interested in people smugglers crossing from Albania to Italy - a Kiwi family was of zero interest to them, no paperwork required. Croatians were sticklers, though - non EU at the time

I am the owner of alexandra.

I was approached by 5 officials in a zodiac and informed that I would be arrested and deported if I did not comply.

They took my boat and put it on the hard in ashbys boatyard. Future is uncertain. They plan on a "modified" Cat 1 inspection. I am a foreign flagged vessel. US authorities informed NZ customs that "any american has the right to be stupid" They disagree. Come visit me if you like.

Ok, so there is obviously a hell of a lot more to this story than you are giving us. That simply does not happen here in NZ for no reason. Specially on Opua. To find 5 "officials" ( whatever that implies ) in Opua would be impossible without importing them from elsewhere. To find 5 public servants in Opua is probably impossible, let alone "officials" Who would give a sh*t about a boat.....

Really makes me ask - what the real story?

Jesus: Now they're treating BA like an overstayer when he was actually _TRYING_ to leave. Bloody hell.

I get the feeling that this isn’t as it seems, and there’re some pertinent details being conveniently left out.

Just smells fishy to me. I find it hard to believe that the Opua customs and immigration staff are acting in such a manner without good reason.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t he a self confessed pot smoking hippy who has admitted wifi hacking and theft?

Agree with ya Tuffy. This is very very unusual actions for a NZ border person, so it does beg the question as to why.

US authorities informed NZ customs that "any american has the right to be stupid"
That's damn handy as a lot are.

Indeed.. There is a lot not being said. Unfortunately those who do know what is not being said would probably get in a lot of trouble should they put the truth out there.

Still, at least it wont sink if its up on Ashbys. Grahame R is not a member of this forum by any chance?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t he a self confessed pot smoking hippy who has admitted wifi hacking and theft?

Where do you get this from? Even if you are right :

according to Google NZ has the 9th highest level of pot smokers in the world, pretty hard to condemn him for that. Being a hippy??? not illegal, and there's probably a fair few ex hippies on this forum. Wifi hacking - what are we talking about? sitting on a park bench at the viaduct and usinfg one of the cafe's to check your email????

It would appear some people don't like his appearance or the appearance of his boat and are making some pretty giant assumptions.

All very odd. Assumptions aside, I have never heard of anything like this level of reaction from Customs/Immigration. Have always found them to be nothing but courteous and professional. To take this drastic action is highly unusual, suggesting there is either a weirdo working in Opua Customs (which seems absurdly unlikely) or more to this story than meets the eye.

I cannot believe the bitterness and nastiness directed at this guy. I have read all these posts and cruising forum posts and elsewhere and the facts don't support any of it. I think it boils down to my boat is more shiny than yours therefore you are a bad person. He is so far accused of thief, stealing, bludging of Government, pot smoking, giving NZ a bad name, ignorant, unsave boat etc etc. What do the facts show? A cut on the head in wellington where he didn't want to go to A & E but others insisted for 4 stitches, no different to many tourists I would think. Only one with any substance is WI Fi hook-ups, so what, people are far to precious with WIFI. I have been frustrated with lack of WIFI in the gulf, at least on land you can buy a coffee and job done. I actually admire what this guy has achieved, and his ability to think outside the square. Synthetic rigging for example, while there is plenty of discussion on another thread about the possabilities this guy has been doing it for some time. Same with electrics, only problem with propulsion is he hasn't had the money to buy a big enough unit. As for unsafe boat, no evidence put forward whatsoever. Until I hear otherwise I say good luck and fair winds.

Just smells fishy to me.

WHAT :?: :?:

Absolutely nothing to do with me :!:

I had a shower three days ago :wink:

I must say this story smells fisheir than a Korean long liner, love to know what is actually going on.

Archived