Birdsall 30 versus Lidgard 31

Neilk

Yes come on NZ, get voting if you want to keep the Lidgards in the contest :lol:

A couple of comments from my perspective:

- the quality and condition of the individual examples that you end up looking at is going to be a factor. If your budget is less than $20k and one needs a repower...at probably $16-18k by the time it's all wrapped up... :eh: A couple of new sails is going to cost (guesstimate) $6-7k. Things like furlers and autohelms can also set you back a bit if you need to add them after the purchase

- sadly the resale market for what I would have considered the "famous" NZ designs seems to be pretty limited. Personally I would have expected that the Lidgard name would have been slightly better known (particularly with a couple of generations in there) but the earlier comments in this thread would suggest I am incorrect in that view.

I have close friends that have owned a bigger Birdsall for many years and love it. One thing that I have noticed - certainly with the bigger ones - is that there is no "standard" look to them, which I think may be a bit disconcerting to future prospective buyers who are more used to thinking along class lines. No idea if that applies to the smaller designs.

- Davo 28s not on your list? or a bit pricey?

In that price range, you are getting a lot of bang for your buck

BUT

if you end up needing to pay for any work to be done, the equation can very quickly go upside-down.

So I would say that getting out on the water could be as important as identifying the "right" design, but equally, making sure you minimise the tidy-ups or add-ons that need to be done after your purchase.

I agree Murky. While there are pros and cons of both, buying a 30' boat for less than $20k, my advice wouldn't be to buy the one you can find in the best condition.

For anyone vaguely interested in the (satisfactory) end of my quest: I swallowed humble pie and bought an H28 -- fibreglass of course.

I'd been nuts on the Shoalcraft (dubious condition, no engine), and intrigued by the Birdsall and the Lidgard -- both timber.

The $12k H28 has turned out to be just the right boat, with some work. And oh the glorious chug chug of that Yanmar 12hp.

It all shows what perseverance -- and humble pie -- can achieve.

Thanks for your comments.

Archived