Westhaven ??

I have just put my boat back in the water after a 7 month refit.

I needed to pick up my new main as well as pickup a teco to do some final hook up and sea trials.

I went into westhaven and tied up along side the loading berth to wait the arrival of sail maker and teco.

Next thing security comes along and tells me to get out as I was not a berth owner and had no rites to be there.

I have sailed the harbour for over 40 years and on the odd ocasion i have used westhaven for this purpose.

Do they have the rite to do this?

I would think so.

So where in auckland can I pick up a sail maker or teco to check out my boat?

I am not talking about working alongside only picking up and dropping off.

Putangitangi you should raise this matter with marina management and remind them that Westhaven Marina is owned by the public.What a pathetically petty miserable world it has become.

There is a new super-fascist security guard down there of late. He was hassling people the other day so I took the time to tell him to perhaps spend less time being a pain in the arse and more time ferrying the proliferation of marina barrows/trolleys on the end of X pier back to the gate and that would be more helpful to the overall operation of the marina.

To be honest tho... i wasn't that polite about it.

In saying that - paying marina users are required to submit evidence of insurance to hold a place there so they may have issues with potentially uninsured vessels using their facilities. Its a PC world gone crazy.

Surely it is pretty clear, the facilities at Westhaven are provided for the use of the the fee paying berth and mooring holders. Others who help themselves are taking advantage of the good will of those who pay for the same priviledge. Surely helping yourself to the Westhaven facility is like helping yourself to parking your car on the neighbours front lawn.

Yeah I was tied up on X pier a couple of months ago and within a few minutes of being there had the security guard asking me if I was booked in??? All was well once I informed him I was a berth holder, but seems like they're policing the use of X pier pretty closely.

Interestingly I was down there on Monday and the Navy had two yachts tied up to X pier which as far as I know were not Westhaven berth holders. not doing any harm as it was a quiet Monday afternoon, but i'd be interested to know whether Westhaven tried to shoo them away??

Surely it is pretty clear, the facilities at Westhaven are provided for the use of the the fee paying berth and mooring holders. Others who help themselves are taking advantage of the good will of those who pay for the same priviledge. Surely helping yourself to the Westhaven facility is like helping yourself to parking your car on the neighbours front lawn.

...which might then lead into a debate on the "value" of patrolling loading or work berths to ensure that they are all vacant and available should a legitimate berth owner wish to use them. I guess the option is there to ask for a nominal fee for use of the facilities, which might be more focused on a solution than chasing people off - after all, no money has been saved here and the cost to berth owners is still the same as it was.

Personally I would see it more as the equivalent of parking on your neighbour's lawn while the plumber's van was blocking your own driveway. All parties know it is temporary in order to facilitate a normal and necessary part of life. And yes, the neighbour has the right to demand that the plumber park down the road and walk backwards and forwards from the job but did anyone really become better off as a result of that approach?

I fully understand the point of me restricting berth holders from using there facilities however I in no way was or would restrict anyone. After all I was only picking up and dropping off. never left the boat.

I did argue with them and a woman Who i presume was the manager, (she didn't interduce herself) threatened me with a tresspass notice.She even went to phone the teco I had coming down to work on the boat,to tell him he wasn't allowed. I informed her that that wasn't a good idea.

My understanding of the law is, I am allowed to tie up to the jetty, I will have a talk to a lawyer and get some clarification. Although I only use westhaven 1 or 2 times a year i feel that if they keep this action up we may all be stopped from using this warf.

Will keep you informed as to what hapens.

Cheers Pete

Pete it is a bizarre set of circumstances that now see you having to resort to accessing a legal opinion as to wether you should have temporary access to a public facility.

Personally after alerting the marina office to some extremely poor behavior of one its employees my next call would have been directly to Auckland Waterfront management to seek clarity on exactly when did the "lock out" of recreational boaties and subbies become active policy.

Wow, that sounds seriously screwed up.

My understanding was that the X pier loading pontoons were there primarily for pile mooring vessels to berth temporarily for loading, unloading and short term work, etc but it stands to reason that the pier could be used for floating dock customers awaiting the dock to become free, visitors to the marina to temporarily dock while they sort more permanent mooring arrangements, etc, etc. In other words its a working loading dock for temprorary, short term docking ... much like a loading zone parking spot.

Seems like a rather aggressive approach to people using the temporary docking facility that is extremely out of character to the security personnel I've encountered at Westhaven, though I gather that there is a general change of culture and staff in the marina resulting from some changes in management team and their approach to the marina management.

Personally I'd be inclined to fib if approached by marina staff and say that I keep my boat on the pile moorings but that I'm temporarily docked here to allow loading/unloading of gear, etc.

Others who help themselves are taking advantage of the good will of those who pay for the same priviledge.

Far be it from any of us to extend good will to our neighbours.

Surely it is pretty clear, the facilities at Westhaven are provided for the use of the fee paying berth and mooring holders. Others who help themselves are taking advantage of the good will of those who pay for the same priviledge. Surely helping yourself to the Westhaven facility is like helping yourself to parking your car on the neighbours front lawn.

I agree with this 100%. Sure give it a go but if you are called out for doing it then don't complain about it.

At the end of the day you were actually tied up to the Westhaven marina work/loading berth, not just swinging by to pick someone up. They would get every excuse under the sun.

You have to remember Westhaven is a facility that makes money out of renting berths to people.

Tell the security to piss off as you have 30mins allowable time to use the publicly owned structure under the Local Bodies Act of 2011*. That'll give you time while he wonders off to check and see what to do next. It's knot like they are going to confiscate your boat or shoot you on the spot.

Or you could just tell them if you can't stay there for 30 minutes you'll go public with what some senior Westhaven management have been up to and how they quietly swept it under the proverbial rug.

* - I made that Act up but I bet ya Security wouldn't know that so if you say it in the correct tone ya just never know.

Isn’t Kevin Lidgard running the show at Westhaven now? ex Westpark?

Seems a bit ridiculas that you cant spend 10 minutes offloading or picking up from X pier if you’re not inconveniencing anyone.

Archived