Westhaven ??

The trouble is there are a lot of boats in Auckland, if every boat in Auckland spent 10min at the loading dock where does that leave the boats paying $300 a month on the piles. As far as I always thought the loading/work berth was ONLY there for westhaven boats, not for any boat in NZ.

I think its fair that they police it but it does sound like the security guard was being a w^&#$@r.

....I went into westhaven and tied up along side the loading berth .....

For clarity where exactly did you tie up?

Some people have tied up in between V and W or W and X pontoons thinking that they can load up from there. You would be rightly moved on if you were there.

I am not sure of the number-letter of the pier but it was the one that faces Z pier charter boat base. I checked with the teco from NZ yachting and he asures me that he often gets picked up from the same pier.

I always thought it was a public jetty too. And I don't have a problem with it being that way. Furthermore , and I raised this in the other Westhaven thread, you have to look at the reason behind these facilities, the deed of gift for want of a better expression. Westhaven and Orakei were developed post war as boating facilities to assist and promote the sport of boating in Auckland /NZ. Its the sort of thing people do after the trauma of two wars. Accessability to water with boats by boaties is the fundamental purpose of the development.

That guard needs to be reined in and have the facts explained to him by his employer.

If the fact is that it is no longer a public jetty , then thats deplorable.

I rang the marina office just now and was told there is nowhere in Westhaven that the public can tie up, furthermore you are not allowed to enter Westhaven without proving insurance, so no turning up to the loading dock then wandering down to the office to see if they have a space available.

He also said it was well signposted and you are all a bunch of rude people for ignoring it and being selfish.

Sounds like a place to avoid to me. Or check that by law quoted above and start stirring.

Maybe we should organize a raft up one Saturday morning at the entrance.??

Correct - seems he was doing as he was told by his employer. Though attiudes make a difference, the chap on the phone wasn't effusively friendly.

Jesus. Well ,how does that dovetail in with all the public access waterfront Auckland have in for us, kayaks and paddleboards all tootling around, flowers in their hair ,while boats manouvre. Or don't tell me, was that waterfront auckland graphic of the boardwalk and kayaker paddling between the berths , gasp, not true.

I can't help but compare this to my experience at GH. They were friendly. They cheerfully altered my booking dates when the weather interfered. Expensive, as marinas are, but I thought acceptable. I told them we were having a party, they moved us to the commercial docks so we could make noise and go late. When we left I hadn't paid (it was Xmas day) I went back after our Xmas cruise and apologised and was told "no big deal". Then they asked when i would be coming back.

In 2000 I took my Turissimo cat into the beach at Westhaven to scrub down as many multi's did back then. Westhaven security came over and told me it wasn't allowed and as they provided facilities for scrubbing down (i.e. the grids) then I should use those. As I was finished anyway, I couldn't be bothered telling him you can put a 23 foot wide cat on a grid so I just left it. As we were motoring out the police, who were using the old rowing club as a base for the americas cup motored over and asked what the guy wanted. I told them and they (the police) said bullshit, it's a public beach and he had no jurisdiction over it.

Gulf harbour were very helpful to me too, but I had booked a berth and was paying for it. Previously , some other year, I'd asked if there was a place I could stop for an hour to drop off or pick up something ( I forget which or what ) and was told no.

I rang the marina office just now and was told there is nowhere in Westhaven that the public can tie up, furthermore you are not allowed to enter Westhaven without proving insurance, so no turning up to the loading dock then wandering down to the office to see if they have a space available.

He also said it was well signposted and you are all a bunch of rude people for ignoring it and being selfish.

Pretty sure that Westhaven Marina is a business unit owned by Auckland City?

That makes them answerable to who? God knows?

Westhaven marina users association are now but a 'ginger group' that tries to remind the ACC what Westhaven's original purpose was... 'back in the day'.

The marina area and facilities will surely fall under attack 'forever and a day' because it is an asset of the council, that every tom dick and harry consultant, individual, or party, person with and agenda, will try and hijack the area. Sure some ideas will be good, some down-right awful.

Must be very frustrating working / trying to manage in an environment like that.

Every second person who rings the marina office is probably having a bitch about something :?

So when Putangi comes in without even calling on vhf to ask which dock I can pick up from?

Do you need to know that my insurance is up to date?

No wonder they get grumpy.

Blame Banksy he's the one who doubled the money on the table so the council could beat out the trust and other interested parties... when 'buying off the port'.

As the development of Westhaven takes place the overlap of usage purposes between the berth holders and the public will naturally throw up some interesting and challenging scenarios for the marina users and marina managers.

The berth holders are in effect customers or licensees of Waterfront Auckland.

The marina facility produces 40% of Waterfront Aucklands entire income.Have a look at their website to see where their boundaries of influence are.

The rate paying public on the other hand are the real owners of the facility and surrounding environs and are represented by their local councilors and ward members.

I am personally appalled by the petty behavior of the marina management over the matter of Pete seeking to temporarily access x pier.Surely the appropriate thing to do would have been to assist Pete to achieve the things he wanted to and see him on his way.Its called common courtesy and nothing else.

I can remember a while back when a yacht was losing its roller genoa to some rather brisk conditions on my marina and when I asked the security person to assist me to secure the sail he told me his instructions were not to place himself at any risk on someones private property and promptly left me to it.

Here is a bit of a thread drift.

I can remember as a young lad living on my fathers boat at Westhaven next to the cement silos and the carrier JB Wilson, where we shared the wharf presently used by the classics with Basil the wharfie and his home built yacht the Colin Archer type Mapu.There was sole security guy ,I am entirely not sure if it was Flap Martengo that had a enormous black faced alsatian as a close and permanent companion and he had the habit of painting everything silver.Used to scare the living daylights out of me.He had a little keep just out side the Bouzaid brothers sail loft adorned with flotsam all painted silver of course.The large slips where still operating at the Pier 21 end of Westhaven and the remaining cross harbour car ferries were laying there in variating stages of decay.The Mapu was to be later lost when Basil was returning from Fiji alone and he was dismasted and holed by the massive tree trunk sized spar that speared through the hull.If memory serves me right he was without any comms and was fortunately saved by another vessel that conveniently sailed over the horizon to assist.Another interesting boat that appeared in Westhaven when I was a lad was the Haparanda.I was at Pier 21 last night looking at her on the hard.She was originally built in Australia by Lex Lundmark and he sailed out here with his young son and wife.A long story short, he decided that the boat was not adequate in size for his growing family so purchased land at Greenhithe where he neatly sliced the yacht completely down the middle both ways(quartered) and spent decades afterwards reconstructing her into the yacht that now is available for charter by his son at the viaduct.

Archived