Westhaven ??

A" Clatons" update.

As you can see I have been very quiet over the last week or so.

Do not worry this issue has not gone away. There are people besides myself doing great work.

Expect a statement shortly.

Cheers Pete :thumbup:

Did anyone notice the large area of Westhaven Marina that was earmarked as a possible AC village on the news the other night? Removal of the pile and swing moorings area may have some behind the scene planning going on.

No it's not :shh:

There are some great plans underway for Westhaven including many well overdue. I can't wait.

Frankly I'm tired of this beat-up of Westhaven and Auckland Council. As far as I'm concerned the berth-holders pay for the facilities and have the right to use them. Outsiders don't but if their requests and behaviour are reasonable then their needs may be met. And they should pay their way.

There are many facilities that are council owned that don't allow members of the public to just stroll on in and use any time they want. Try taking a dump in the loos at Eden Park one non-rugby night and see where you get. Or holding your Kids birthday party at Parnell Pools after hours. Or take your golf clubs into Western Springs stadium one Saturday evening in summer for a little practice swing.

I don't see it as a beat up - I think reasonable questions are being asked about the way a public facility is being managed. The examples you mention...what is the rationale for the public owning Eden Park, Parnell Baths or Western Springs? I would suggest that it is to preserve as much access as possible for as many people as possible. Does that mean there should be no rules or restrictions on their use? On the contrary, that is why there should be rules and restrictions like the ones you cite - to ensure continued safety, protection and funding of those facilities so that they remain as accessible as possible for as many people as possible.

In the Westhaven case (I am a berth holder btw), I think that there is very reasonable skepticism that that is what the current restrictions on the use of X-pier achieve.

X pier is for the use of the pile mooring holders to load up. Berth-holders have to have insurance and a safe electrical connection. So should anyone tying up to the marina.

Anyway this is all a bit of a moot point as under the new plan which is poised to get underway soon, the X pier boardwalk will disappear into a series of fingers heading east. The landing area will not be needed once the pile moorings are turned into marinas.

Archived