Rudddergate

Battleship

This whole thing is taking the fun out of it. :thumbdown:

Reading this. http://www.sailrevolution.com/ac-news/you-do-the-math

Oracle want active rudder control because their boat is not suited to foiling.

I suspect if Oracle had Leading Element wing twist they would probably be able to sail their boat safely without active rudders. Like Dalton said, ages ago, getting the top of the wing to twist off in a bear away is essential. It would be more sporting to carry on without rule changes at this very late stage. If they pushed through rules which allowed Oracle to retain the cup, it would be a very hollow victory indeed.

PRess release

Regatta Director Iain Murray met the media on Wednesday morning to address issues raised in the protests filed by Emirates Team New Zealand and Luna Rossa Challenge head on.

Murray says claims that his 37 Safety Rules are changing the game one week before the regatta are baseless.

“I made these recommendations to the teams on May 22, over six weeks before the first race of the Louis Vuitton Cup,” he said. “At that meeting, all of the teams agreed to all 37 of the safety recommendations. Grant Dalton (managing director of Emirates Team New Zealand) walked to the front of the room, shook my hand, and told me, ‘Good job. You won’t get any push back from us.’”

But on June 28, Emirates Team New Zealand filed a protest with the International Jury over the changes. Yesterday afternoon, Luna Rossa Challenge did the same.

Murray also states plainly that claims saying that the Italian and Kiwi boats would not measure as AC72s and are thus ineligible to race are false. He says the official measurers have informed him that both Luna Rossa and Emirates Team New Zealand are fully able to comply with the AC72 Class Rule.

“They can race on the first day, Sunday, June 7, with their equipment as it is now because it already meets the minimum requirements set out in my Safety Rules,” he said. “So this isn’t about teams not being able to comply. This is about two teams trying to gain an advantage from changes I’ve implemented to make all of our racing safer.”

On the issue that seems to be most contentious to some of the teams, the requirement to have deeper rudders with larger winglets, Murray says these are important Safety Rules.

“This is to give crews more control. The new Safety Rules allows the angle of the rudder winglets to be adjusted up to five minutes before a race instead of by 8:00 am on race days.”

That allows for a more precise setting in the prevailing wind conditions at start time. What the teams are protesting about now are features they had previously requested.

“Dean Barker, the skipper of Emirates Team New Zealand, emailed me in December of last year asking for the period when teams could adjust the rudder elevators (wings) to be extended from when they left the dock in the morning (under the original class rule) until up to the warning signal for racing (as it is now, under the Safety Recommendations),” Murray continued. “He suggested the boat would be safer, and easier to control, if the final adjustment could be made just before the race start.

“When the Safety Review Panel met with the teams in May, all of them acknowledged that deeper rudders, with larger wings, add more control. Luna Rossa Challenge wiped out twice at 36 knots of speed during training because they lost control and rounded up head to wind. More surface area increases control.”

“Now can you see why I’m frustrated?” he asked.

The protests say that Murray exceeded his authority in imposing the changes to the Class Rule without the unanimous consent of the teams. Murray said that when mediation failed he had no choice but to proceed with the safety recommendations.

“I was appointed Regatta Director by the challengers, and accepted in that role by the defender. I work on behalf of all the teams,” Murray explained. “In this case, I’m really saving the teams from themselves. Not one team likes all of the recommendations.

“Disappointingly, for competitive reasons, two of the teams are now protesting over some of these safety recommendations. But I don’t believe you can pick and choose. These safety recommendations are a package and together they increase safety for our sailors and they are now Rules of the event.”

The International Jury is scheduled to hear the Emirates Team New Zealand protest beginning on Monday, June 8. There is no schedule yet for the Luna Rossa protest.

There was no agreement between the parties at the end of the mediation process re the rudder foils, no matter how IM wants to spin it and no matter what was said over the GD and IM handshake it is disingenuous of IM to try and claim he had the unanimous support of the all the teams for his proposal when his own mediation process failed to reach an agreement.

He knew when he went to the USCG with his 37 point plan that ETNZ and LR only supported 35 of those points.

As he says there are two boats that are currently legal to race on Sunday without the need for a class rule change....his proposal if successful simply allows the other two boats to participate.

LR and ETNZ can complete a LV series and the winner can turn and up for the AC to race under the current class rules and the USCG agreed safety plan, if they are able to comply with both why the need for a rule change?

From the Herald:

Rudder ruling

Q. Will the stand-off over the rules delay the start of racing?

No. The first race in the Louis Vuitton Cup between Team New Zealand and Luna Rossa is scheduled for July 8, with the jury hearing the next day.

Q. If ETNZ and LR are successful, could the event be cancelled given the Coastguard issued organisers a permit only on the proviso the 37 recommendations are adhered to?

It's seems highly unlikely that the marine event permit could be revoked on this issue, as it is not compulsory for the teams to use these rudder elevators. The recommendation only extends the rule to allow the use of symmetrical rudders - the inference being that anything within the specified range is therefore safe.

Q. What happens if ETNZ and LR lose?

Team NZ have said whatever the outcome, they will accept the jury's decision and get on with racing. Luna Rossa have suggested they will boycott the event if they don't get the ruling they want.

Q. What happens if LR decide to pack up and go home?

It would spell complete disaster for the event. There would be one challenger (although Artemis are still aiming to get back on the water in early August), some very angry sponsors and a red-faced Larry Ellison and Russell Coutts.

Q. Shouldn't ETNZ stand together with LR on this and play hardball?

As Team NZ are commercially and publicly funded, they answer to more stakeholders than Luna Rossa and don't have the luxury of being able to make such bold calls without lengthy consultation. In the end, Team NZ believe they have the boat to beat Oracle regardless of the rules, and the defenders' latest manoeuverings can be taken as an indication they still haven't found the right formula for foiling.

I wonder how Yanmar feels about their sponsorship plastered all over bullshit cheating rudders?

Excellent question - I just asked them on their Facebook page, will be interesting to see what they say or do :)

Probably delete it, oh wait up.... they deleted it. Righto then 1 x twitter storm coming up.

Russell is now getting in on the action to defend oracle and makes a few hits back at the competition. Apparently there practice and race set ups are going to be different and not illegal.

http://vimeo.com/69667900

All those journalists and nobody asks about the important bits:1. The new rule allows the rudders to stick outside the box so they can be higher aspect and 2. Oracle have 2 months more than anyone else to optimise to the new rule.

Russel probably couldn't believe his luck! Idiots, I notice PJM in the background, damn I'd hoped he'd retired...

The thing that is very difficult for a simple fishmonger to understand is if ETNZ and LR can design and build a boat under the old class rules which is safe and they are also safe under the agreed USCG rules why is it necessary to change the class rules for any other boats unless those boats are not safe under the rule for which they were designed...and if that is so, how is it that they are able to race at all?

The thing that is very difficult for a simple fishmonger to understand is if ETNZ and LR can design and build a boat under the old class rules which is safe and they are also safe under the agreed USCG rules why is it necessary to change the class rules for any other boats unless those boats are not safe under the rule for which they were designed...and if that is so, how is it that they are able to race at all?

EXACTLY!! It's an oxymoron isn't it? It's safe for TNZ and Luna Rossa to race in the LV cup with their current rudders, but will not be safe in the AC?? Doesn't make any sense at all. I think Iann Murray has dug himself a rather large hole, and is being joined in it by Russell Coutts.. Go Dalts!

just heard on the tele that prada have cleaned out their shop of all the t shirts, jackets, caps etc. completely empty - gone home :think:

EXACTLY!! It's an oxymoron isn't it? It's safe for TNZ and Luna Rossa to race in the LV cup with their current rudders, but will not be safe in the AC?? Doesn't make any sense at all. I think Iann Murray has dug himself a rather large hole, and is being joined in it by Russell Coutts.. Go Dalts!

That's the key point.

Presumably this argument will be tested by the IJ. It would be good if someone with knowledge of the process could spell out the scenarios over the next couple of weeks.

Hey Smithy it not just the LV that ETNZ and LR can race in, their current configurtions are also legal for the AC...go figure!

It is pretty obvious that during mediation there were two teams against class rule changes and one team (plus probably Artemis as well) supporting the rule changes to rudder configuration. Ian Murray as judge and jury came out in favour of the rule changes after no agreement could be reached between the competitors. Too say that is not favouring one team over the others is nonsense.

Also I think IM holding a press conference criticizing Team NZ after they have lodged a protest is way out of order. There is an agreement in place that syndicates would not talk publicly about protests (which is why Team NZ has gone quiet on the issue). This should apply to the race director as well.

It is pretty obvious that during mediation there were two teams against class rule changes and one team (plus probably Artemis as well) supporting the rule changes to rudder configuration. Ian Murray as judge and jury came out in favour of the rule changes after no agreement could be reached between the competitors. Too say that is not favouring one team over the others is nonsense.

Also I think IM holding a press conference criticizing Team NZ after they have lodged a protest is way out of order. There is an agreement in place that syndicates would not talk publicly about protests (which is why Team NZ has gone quiet on the issue). This should apply to the race director as well.

I do feel for IM as he's probably trying to please a lot of people with his decisions and someone was bound to get upset. But in the same breath, the rules are the rules which everyone agreed to when they entered the AC. Everyone should stick to them, including IM.

Just had a look at Mondays programming on TV1 and sky and can't see details of any coverage for the LVC, anyone know what we are getting?

From the TVNZ website:

Fans can watch every race of the 2013 America's Cup live on tvnz.co.nz from Monday, while TV ONE will have extensive coverage of yachting's premier event with live broadcasts in Breakfast.

Coverage kicks off with the first race in the round-robin series of the Cup on July 8.

Fans can watch online - all of the races will be streamed in full at tvnz.co.nz/americascup , which also has all the latest news and video on Team New Zealand and the America's Cup.

During Breakfast, the team will cross to ONE News yachting correspondent Martin Tasker, who will be live on the water in San Francisco.

Tasker said this year's series will be a special one to watch.

"The allure of the America's Cup has always been what you don't know. You especially don't know which boat is quickest until they actually line up," he said.

In an online first, this year, users can get all of the following content whether they are viewing on desktop, tablet or mobile:

- Live Streaming of all races from Louis Vuitton Round Robin through to the America's Cup final in September

- Full race catch-up

- Highlights of the must-see moments from each race

- News, previews, reviews and interviews - video and text - in the build-up and throughout the three months of racing

- Additional commentary and blog content from our sailing expert Martin Tasker

From Wednesday, August 7, Breakfast will feature live coverage in full from the Louis Vuitton best-of-seven semi-final series.

This special live programming will continue on race days after the conclusion of Breakfast until the finish of the race.

Tasker, along with TVNZ commentator Peter Lester, will also appear on ONE News at 6pm regularly throughout the series.

Archived