timberwolf

For the life of me I cannot see why Fullfoil is making comments such as those.

I am very grateful for all the help in getting wolfie upright again.

Adam and Russell off Taeping went out of their way to help the Coastguard who were just awesome.

No one should criticise any of the crew, they have all the sailed the boat many times before. I had complete faith in them when I lent them my boat, and I am even more impressed by all of their characters right now, I couldn't have left my boat in better hands.

In Kate we are very lucky to have a super experienced multihull crew who punches miles above her weight and is very willing to get in and do all the dirty jobs. She puts most guys I've ever sailed with to shame, and there isn't another multi out there that wouldn't jump at the chance to have her sail with them.

wolfy is a brute of a boat in those conditions and that is what I love about him.

It is very challenging to push it hard enough to be fast but stay within safe bounds. The Coastal start is a highlight where Wolfy was just on FIRE !

The multi club is a great bunch of guys who band together tightly in times of adversity. The offers of help have been fantastic. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else.

BTW, we won our Badminton tie in Whangarei !

Was the hole caused in the impact with the water in the capsize, or beforehand? seems pretty nasty!

Best of luck getting her back on the water, The Wolf always looks good out there!

Was the hole caused in the impact with the water in the capsize, or beforehand? seems pretty nasty!

Best of luck getting her back on the water, The Wolf always looks good out there!

The hole was caused as the boat was being righted, and it caused by the massive amount of compression between the centre of buoyancy and the beam on which the bridle was attached.

The boom also only broke at the very last instant of being righted.

The outside of the boat the hole is the full side of the boat around 2m long and is far worse than the photo's on the site.

[quote name="MrWolf

The hole was caused as the boat was being righted' date=' and it caused by the massive amount of compression between the centre of buoyancy and the beam on which the bridle was attached.

The boom also only broke at the very last instant of being righted.

The outside of the boat the hole is the full side of the boat around 2m long and is far worse than the photo's on the site.[/quote]

Mr Wolf,

Did they right the boat end over end or sideways?

Curious as to how the float saw so much compression

excuse my ignorants

how did it turn turtle? just a wind gust? water looks very flat so I would not have thought it would have burred the nose into the back of a wave

They sent it, and it went arse over bow.

No waves were required just a plenty strong gust.

[Mr Wolf,

Did they right the boat end over end or sideways?

Curious as to how the float saw so much compression

They righted it end over end.

The Main beam is quite far aft on Wolfy, so it has very little leverage just as its coming up, so I'd guess that's what caused it.

i don't know of any tri's righted sideways, they just drag across the surface of the water.

To stop it dragging they had two guys sitting on each float to hold it down so ther back would dig in, then after that happens the bow can lift out.

They broke some very heavy rope so i'd guess they are seeing in the region of 6 tonnes of load.

if they righted it end over end then the arse would have sunk down when the bows came up, pressure built up in the hull then finally.. POP!

Wrong Jordan.

This was a compressive failure, we know this because the break is inwards.

Not an outward explosion like you describe.

There is a risk associated with "egg Shell" methods of construction such as Tortured ply, this is what happens when they fail.

So Wolfy now that you have joined the Proa squad with your new taking Proa will we see you up at Arkles Bay next year promoting the breed?

Hey Squid I think you should offer a bottle of rum to the newest member of the Proa squad..

Sorry to see the wolf this way up Tim. We didnt have much luck down in tauranga, all five cats fell over more than once. one crew member got left behind, an A division boat picked him up floating down the harbour. I think 40 knts was a bit much! My crew fell through the main as we pitch poled and f...k it big time .Try, try again :crazy: :crazy:

Jeez sorry to hear that.

When we were bailing the guys were saying that all you needed was some expanding foam to fill the hole and you'd be out there for the Simrad!

if they righted it end over end then the arse would have sunk down when the bows came up, pressure built up in the hull then finally.. POP!

Wrong Jordan.

There is a risk associated with "egg Shell" methods of construction such as Tortured ply, this is what happens when they fail.

If the hole were due to the pressure difference, it would be an inward break would it not.? Plausable explanation i think? I would never have expected a hole such as that, cracks and splits sure but that hole is interesting. I cannot work out how you would place those two surfaces under sufficient compressive load to do that damage, with out completly rooting the a fair bit more. Or to ppl who know, is that a familiar type?

Good luck with the repair.

Wrong Jordan.

If the hole were due to the pressure difference, it would be an inward break would it not.? Plausable explanation i think? I would never have expected a hole such as that, cracks and splits sure but that hole is interesting. I cannot work out how you would place those two surfaces under sufficient compressive load to do that damage, with out completly rooting the a fair bit more. Or to ppl who know, is that a familiar type?

Good luck with the repair.

What water pressure ?

The rope load is in excess of at least 6 tonnes due to the type of ropes they were breaking.

The beam (bridle attachment point) is only 2 metres infront of the boats centre of buoyancy (pivot point).

the way it failed is classic compressive failure, the hole you see on the site is only a baby compared with the outside.

The way i see it is there have been plenty of mulit's to flip:

Silver Raider x 2

Tigre X 1

Attitude X 1

Hard Drive x 2

Frantic Drift X 1

U2 x 1

Exodus x 1

Roxanne X 1

Timberwolf x 1

This way Up x 1

Dirty Deads X 1

Te Kuiti X 1

The GBE that tipped twice in one two handed race..

My solution would be to have an upper limit of breeze that these craft are allowed to race in, say 20 knots limit and the 1st reef in at 10 and 2nd at 15, this should slow new members joining the UDC club.

I hope my memory is correct, hate to offend anyone.

Please feel free to add to the list.

MB