timberwolf

Or we can sit at home and throw sausages down the hallway? Or are we not showing everyone how soft we are? If you cant handle the UDC Club buy a leaner... Who the hell reefs in 10 knots??

Surely that is all part of sailing these magnificent machines.

There is no way you could put restrictions on wind speeds etc.

I find it a challenge to know what the boat (and us) can take, and if it means joining the UDC club, so be it.

I always sail with a lifejacket on because we DO push it hard.

(Mind you, I reckon even with the modified mast and new sails PE is a very forgiving boat,)

hey motorboy....what multi do you sail on ?

regulation of what wind speeds people can sail in will just result in boats with bigger sails!!! and then they will be flipping in 10 knots not 20 !

I think your plan is a little flawed.......

reasons multis flip : (that I can think of)

1) bad luck ( this is the sh*t happens to us all eventually)

2) stupidity ( they were stoned and all sitting to leward)

3) accident ( the unfortunate case of an overide on a winch)

4) lack of skill ( you could flip most of the cats in 12 knots if you really wanted to)

5) competition ( who can go the hardest for the longest and survive)

now, I am out there for the competition so there is a chance that eventually we will end up with the aluminium bit in the drink..... its part of it.

if you dont want to be a part of it you dont have to .

but strangly enough people do want to be a part of it !! and when they are hooked they want more !! and more ...and more...and more....

3) accident ( the unfortunate case of an overide on a winch)..

This is the most common from what I have surveyed. Overide, jam etc. Multi sailing is just soooo much fun though!

To quote my wife “… Maybe what draws you all together is that you’re all just seconds away from pitchpoling and shared stress has been proven to be bonding”

5) competition ( who can go the hardest for the longest and survive)

The 18ft Skiffs are the kings of this... man those guys push things to the limit and way past it.

"Win or Swim!" in our calm Waitemata Harbour

The way i see it is there have been plenty of mulit's to flip:

Silver Raider x 2

Tigre X 1

Attitude X 1

Hard Drive x 2

Frantic Drift X 1

U2 x 1

Exodus x 1

Roxanne X 1

Timberwolf x 1

This way Up x 1

Dirty Deads X 1

Te Kuiti X 1

The GBE that tipped twice in one two handed race..

My solution would be to have an upper limit of breeze that these craft are allowed to race in, say 20 knots limit and the 1st reef in at 10 and 2nd at 15, this should slow new members joining the UDC club.

I hope my memory is correct, hate to offend anyone.

Please feel free to add to the list.

MB

A few corrections there Motor boy

if you talk to Bruce he will maintain HD has only been flipped 1 1/2 times because the second time it didnt go all the way over!

Im pretty sure Te Kooti has been upside down twice and the mystery GBE that managed the very difficult task of two capsizes in one day was Sublime (now Pussycat).

Also add to that list Ocean Pacific and Freedom.

borderline hasn't, mind you we've been using the break the rig before you fly a hull system of capsize prevention.

I think we'd get more time sailing her if we just copied everyone else and went for flipping rather than mast breaking! :roll:

I very much enjoyed my single sail on her so far and I'd like to point out that nothing broke that day! :twisted:

The way i see it is there have been plenty of mulit's to flip:

Silver Raider x 2

Tigre X 1

Attitude X 1

Hard Drive x 2

Frantic Drift X 1

U2 x 1

Exodus x 1

Roxanne X 1

Timberwolf x 1

This way Up x 1

Dirty Deads X 1

Te Kuiti X 1

The GBE that tipped twice in one two handed race..

My solution would be to have an upper limit of breeze that these craft are allowed to race in, say 20 knots limit and the 1st reef in at 10 and 2nd at 15, this should slow new members joining the UDC club.

I hope my memory is correct, hate to offend anyone.

Please feel free to add to the list.

MB

A few corrections there Motor boy

if you talk to Bruce he will maintain HD has only been flipped 1 1/2 times because the second time it didnt go all the way over!

Im pretty sure Te Kooti has been upside down twice and the mystery GBE that managed the very difficult task of two capsizes in one day was Sublime (now Pussycat).

Also add to that list Ocean Pacific and Freedom.

Next Question.

Did all these go over while racing?

Yea i was thinking water pressure.. Thinking aloud about what the effect of submerging a sealed tube but leaving half of it at atmospheric pressure would be.? The bottom of the tube still going to crumple or nope? Because fully submerged it wouldnt take alot of depth.

More thinking aloud, what does the Wolf weigh in at? The strain on the cordage would be primarily due to the positive bouancy and trying to re submerge below the centre of bouancy wouldnt it.

That damage is just awful, would be a shame to see it happen to the next one to go down side up.