timberwolf

Yea i was thinking water pressure.. Thinking aloud about what the effect of submerging a sealed tube but leaving half of it at atmospheric pressure would be.? The bottom of the tube still going to crumple or nope? Because fully submerged it wouldnt take alot of depth.

More thinking aloud, what does the Wolf weigh in at? The strain on the cordage would be primarily due to the positive bouancy and trying to re submerge below the centre of bouancy wouldnt it.

That damage is just awful, would be a shame to see it happen to the next one to go down side up.

Take a look at the damage, its on the hard at Okahu.

The area damaged isn't under water when it happens.

The furthest anything goes under the water righting it is only about 3 metres (possibly 5 psi), and there is no other damage to any other sealed hulls ?

Where as the damage is a classic egg shell compressive failure !

Plus I imagine in a water pressure explosion as soon as there is one small hole the pressure would equalise quite quickly ?

Is there any that hasn't fallen over? :wink:

tl systems and all the wharrams

A wharram flipped about 2 weeks ago up in the Bay, he wasn't racing so I think we'll have to apply Motorboy's rules to cruising as well. Only real question remaining being should the rules also apply to proas?

Something about solo and gusts to 50kts.

Even so, the Wharams were described to me as the H28 of multis, though the person doing the describing did seem to think he might have been a bit unfair to the H28.

jees wayne how do you flip out a wharam!! ther are dugout canoes that will only do about 8kts at the best of times!

Mine goes to 11 :P

Sailed it plenty of times on my own in 25 - 30 knots without reefing. The only time it ever felt like tipping was coming back through the washing machine one afternoon - 25 knot SW and tide coming in. Big steep sided wave biffed the boat up on its side. Back to normal once it passed.

I have a soft spot for Wharrams, a lot of people have done a lot of miles in safety and comfort in them, not as fast as a racing multi, but generally a lot faster than a cruising mono.

i have had a couple of larger wharrams and from their reputations i did not expect much, sailing wise, especially uphill,but actually they are not bad, once i had cleaned it out to sell and removed a few tons of just in case spare parts and sheets of ply it was doing 12 kts easy ,and would self steer pretty well too, like any boat depends a lot on the rig, weight , and a clean hull. I,m guessing that the one that flipped in the bay would have been pretty small, maybe 21 ft? The ones i had 42 and 46 would lose the mast before the wind would send them over I would think.

At least Falling over is not as permanent as sinking.

at least the wolf has recovered his boat and hopefully some day Andy and Kate may recover their dignity and most important at least nobody was hurt physically.

So far Offender has been lucky and works on the "Borderline" theory of capsize prevention.

I have a new theory now, leave the boat on the mooring..

I hope it works :eh:

We could have a thread where people can post pictures of their upside down multi. I've got a nice sequence on mine coming back up! It's pretty much a fact of racing a raft. At some point you're going to flip it.

I don't think any of the f8.2's in Auckland, the 3 7.5m tri's or taeping, x factor, sundreamer and more have ever flipped so to say they'l all flip is utter bull sh*t. If this is the first time timberwolf has flipped in 15 or ? However many years she's raced its the exception not the norm. Fact is its a managed risk we take, not something that's sure to happen sooner or later.

We could have a thread where people can post pictures of their upside down multi. I've got a nice sequence on mine coming back up! It's pretty much a fact of racing a raft. At some point you're going to flip it.

Its not the ideal time to be making comments such as these.

Had a look at TW on Sunday, when out and about.

The hole's bigger than I thought.

Ouch.

Commiserations.

I was there on Saturday having a look, bad luck Tim :(

I know that you guys look at always to save weight but I think this method lacks any form of hydrodynamics. :wink:

... hydrodynamics ...

Holy hell SJB, thats over four syllables, expecting a bit too much aren't you ???

R.

Thank g.. for google its amazing what you can find. :lol: :lol:

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words.

FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATION ( an estimation of something as worthless)

Most of us have tried to do this.......

pogonotrophy

pogonotrophy (po-guh-NAW-truh-fee) noun

The growing of a beard.

[From Greek pogon (beard) + -trophy (nourishment, growth).]

Pogonology is the study of beards and pogonotomy is a fancy word for shaving.