timberwolf

The Wolf looks very nice Tim. Scything through the water. Looked very smooth on Saturday. :thumbup:

How was the green rocket machines kite work on Sat AA?

I hear one of the boats, or at least the foredeck crew, had a bit of a shocker.... and it wasn't one with a name starting with a W :twisted: :lol:

The Wolf looks very nice Tim. Scything through the water. Looked very smooth on Saturday. :thumbup:

How was the green rocket machines kite work on Sat AA?

I hear one of the boats, or at least the foredeck crew, had a bit of a shocker.... and it wasn't one with a name starting with a W :twisted: :lol:

That's because I told you I had a shocker you sh#t stirring b#st#rd :lol:

I CONFESS!!! IT WAS MY FAULT THE GENNAKER WENT UP UPSIDE DOWN!!! :( There - you happy now? By the way I had a stellar day yesterday! :D

On the other hand not to get off topic Timberwolf looked to be having a great day! :thumbup:

I must say, impressive tim. But remember you have until end of june next year to get 30kts or no beer! Those sail rocket thingys spent an age chasing less than a knot to get to 50kts. You are still 4 knots away from your target yet! Good luck :thumbup: :thumbup:

What are you doing forward of the washboards!! :shock: :shock:

What are you doing forward of the washboards!! :shock: :shock:

Yes well it was a case of too many Cowboys and not enough Indians.

Our Youth Scheme guys did Mainsheet or Helm (versatile eh?) and so that meant One race I did Bow and the other Matt did bow.

Despite assurances from Josh that we would get the photos when I was steering we only have these ones.

And I was steering when we set the new record speed.

Anyway I had remembered how to put up the kite, put it back down and Pack and repack a kite. So am definitely not a one trick Pony like some people I could mention !

And actually it was fun, but just don't let Matt know that, its already hard enough to get him to let go of the steering stick!

Sorry Tim I did promise you photos and a video.

Here is all the footage put together. The stuff of you guys doesnt look all the exciting but in many ways i think that is really good, it shows how effortless the boat goes fast and just how much faster it can go, where as my boat looks like its at terminal velocity at around 18-20kts!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BooBooNZ#p/u/6/TQRypEWiP_A

Ha, Tim, coming up to race the fastest multihull in NZ, Sigh! that's the thing about records they can be so fleeting.Don't bother bringing your Kite as we race No extra's :)

DSC04680.JPG

I liked this photo taken by Jonathon weston as it shows the Mast rotated, canted, and a good slot between jib and main.

Plus the foreground has the angry wolf.

Thanks for all the photos, both Russell and Jonathon.

[attachment=0]DSC04680.JPG[/attachment]

I liked this photo taken by Jonathon weston as it shows the Mast rotated, canted, and a good slot between jib and main.

Plus the foreground has the angry wolf.

Thanks for all the photos, both Russell and Jonathon.

TW - ESQ. = Gota be the best looking ' actively sailing' pics I've seen in many a day. Everyone in these forums just are so very appreciative - big time & from me - thanks for keeping my personal dream alive. I'm in love with Phill's - work of 'artistic majesty' designed/painted by David Barker - entitled

'Sundreamer'. Had a little to do with 'Sundancer' when it was built back in 1967. Don't covet Phill's business success, wife or musical talents (but I easily could) but sure do 'dreamer'.

Need some advice here, Tim - Please. 1/ Exactly what fittings/system/gear are you using for your 'front-sails' all of them. If I walked into a chanldery & read your list - I'd want to walk-out with all the right gear. Don't suggest that I could ask them cause - up here in Cairns, Far North Qudeensland - they just wouldn't know, danger is - they think they know - wow. I've been in the 'playing-with-boats' business for over 50 yrs mostly with yachts & a few 'Hobarts' - (oh & a few multi's) Am a slow learner as I still don't know very much at all. I could use all the codes, sizes, mfgrs & info available. Have 38' tri on my radar, 1700 kgs, wing-mast, somewhat of a 'cruiser' but I want it to 'percolate'. It's a personal need to go quick (read as - keep my souls dreams alive). If I can't see the 'right' (whateveer that is) foil shape to attach the various 'front-sails' to I'll have to make a carbon one, patterns, molds, etc) - which might take a bit of time but be worth it in the long run. What are the boys on the AC 45's using? to keep the luff - doing it's thing. Any help is big help & thanks, james aka 'jj-geri-hat-trick' PS The sign-writing is a total blast. jj

James it is great you are getting something out of this thread and thanks for your kind words.

Good luck with your own tri project, I hope it works out well for you.

WOW last night what an absolutely awesome Send that was.

Just a stunning night for it and the breeze (all 16-18 knots of it) had a bit of South in it.

On the boat were Russell and Matt Stuart both of whom had major parts to play in the production of the curved foils.

Matt Stuart designed the foils them selves, working out what area they needed to be, how much lift they would generate, what laminate they needed to be.

Russell made the UHWMPE bearings. No one who has sailed on Timberwolf can believe how easily the foils go up and down under full load.

These guys picked the perfect night to go out for a send.

25 knots of boatspeed in only 16 knots of breeze. Just stunning !

We had the most fantastic ride up the harbour from Orakei, the boat foiling most of the way, with the centrehull clear quite often.

Constantly sitting over 15 knots and often going over 20 knots. (It was a very tight reach)

There will be those out there who will not rate our chances against the Drift (and they are probably right) but after a night's sailing like that I just don't care.

Timberwolf in those conditions is the most fun boat I have ever sailed on.

And if anyone deserves credit for that it is Matty Hart who is the one that convinced me that curved foils were the way to go, and Matt Stuart and Russell who made the foils happen.

Thank you guys !