timberwolf

Disappointing last night.

We had been looking forward to having Dean Barker aboard Timberwolf.

(they were filming an ad for Nexus)

I'm not sure how much footage they got, it seemed the Camera was always under water and the Chase boat could never keep up.

Although we hit 26.75 knots I guess for Dean it was nothing special. He felt our foils don't give us enough lift.

By the way, the Nexus Windgear is just awesome ever since Woolfy set it up just the way we wanted.

We had been looking forward to having Dean Barker aboard Timberwolf.

(they were filming an ad for Nexus)

I'm not sure how much footage they got, it seemed the Camera was always under water and the Chase boat could never keep up.

Although we hit 26.75 knots I guess for Dean it was nothing special. He felt our foils don't give us enough lift.

By the way, the Nexus Windgear is just awesome ever since Woolfy set it up just the way we wanted.

G'day Tim. What now - new foils? That could end up being a hugh job. You realise that you'll now have to have a much HIGHER handicap (something like 1.125) after having such an exulted guest on board. We could all learn a massive amount from all the experience that he's had. Wish I'd been a 'flying-fish' on board. Betcha the learning curve has now got much steeper. Ciao, james

He felt our foils don't give us enough lift.

sounds like nice way of saying he thought your boat was a bit heavy ;)

that is exactly how i interpret it as well.

Heavy and slow because of it.

Two ways to fix that.

Lighter main hull or bigger rig or both.

Need a sponsor to do that though.

As to altering the foil angles to increase lift, yes we can do that but that increases drag.

My opinion is that on an underpowered boat foils don't get used that much anyway and increasing drag is just

mean that you are going to use them even less.

I'm not that sure that the way the SL33 rears up in the air is that great of a thing anyway?

Or no Main hull :-P

I think that could work but it then means no Coastal....

Or a Pod in the middle kinda like on 888,

So then by the time you get the Tubular structure in place plus the pod maybe you can build a trimaran main hull not that much heavier.

My opinion is that the AC45 and AC72 are both cats only to save money.

I thought the last AC kinda proved that the ultimate multihull weapon is probably still a tri in most conditions ?

Or no Main hull :-P

I think that could work but it then means no Coastal....

Or a Pod in the middle kinda like on 888,

So then by the time you get the Tubular structure in place plus the pod maybe you can build a trimaran main hull not that much heavier.

My opinion is that the AC45 and AC72 are both cats only to save money.

I thought the last AC kinda proved that the ultimate multihull weapon is probably still a tri in most conditions ?

Tim I disagree. our american mate who has designed a few skiffs disagrees with you too after doing lots of work with oracle. He and I rekon cats properly designed and built will be quicker than a tri for cup racing. you can't base all your accertions on the last cup as berty had given up even before it began and they designed such a dog of a boat it was not funny.

Anyway if you were wanting to build a real weapon you would build a proa!! :lol: :lol:

Anyway if you were wanting to build a real weapon you would build a proa!! :lol: :lol:

:think:

:think: :think:

Now if the course was W/L with all marks to say PORT, should the best design be a left handed or right handed proa :?:

:think: :think: :think:

Given the RRS, if all marks were to be passed on starboard, would the opposite apply :?:

Why would it knot :think: :think: :think: :think:

I thought the last Ac proved you needed a wing.

If you were looking to argue a tri superiority within a rule, look to the ORMA developements whihc were nearly all tris for a reason.

Boats designed within a rul all tend to end up similar over time as the best option becomes apparent.

You have an open boat - is a tri really the way to go...? :D

BSpeedphoto.JPG

We got 4 good bursts last night after Orakei, was a really good ride.

I suspect this was just after the bridge in very flat water, we got a nice little gust and really took off.

I think if we had that same breeze for a bit longer we could go faster still.

The boat was pretty dodgy up by Bean Rock though in much more heinous waves where we had to keep backing off a bit.

WOW !

Jason Sager has just finished the antifouling.

He used Micron 66 and gave the Middle hull an extra lick as well as two coats on the amas.

Jason, Thank you very much ! You are a true Multihull legend (talking about your Antifoul Painting here, Jase, not your sailing ability!)

Can someone give me Jasons' contact details please?

WOW !

Jason Sager has just finished the antifouling.

He used Micron 66 and gave the Middle hull an extra lick as well as two coats on the amas.

Jason, Thank you very much ! You are a true Multihull legend (talking about your Antifoul Painting here, Jase, not your sailing ability!)

Can someone give me Jasons' contact details please?

Just remember Nate he doesn't do scratch, only coloring in! :evil: