Young 11 and elliot 1050

Sundreamer has too much time on his hands

And here I was thinking that it was our amazing crew work and skill that had Fineline winning the Richmond and Squadron summer series (actually it me asleep on the foredeck post xmas, trying to counteract the fantasy land team transom digging ability)

In the not to distant past, here in Wellington we had racing on a regular basis - the Young 11's;- Flying Boat ( Mike Calkeon), ZZ Top (John Toon) later ( Clear Vision- Tony & Vesna Welles), Simply Red ( Mike Bennent), Hullabaloo (Geoff Murray), Flying Circus ( Jim Ower), Peppermint Planet ( Rick Hart), Young Nicholson ( Kim McMorran), Arbitrage (Con Anastausu), Simply Irresitiable ( Mike Solly) - while we also had the following Elliot 1050's also racing in the same fleet - Gale Force ( John Benton), Chain Reaction ( Brian Coleman), Snap Decision ( Ron Legge), Nedax Bachat (Tony Phillips), Rockstar (Greame Hargraves)......all these boats sailed regularly in our Saturday and Offshore programs and were the main stay of the RPNYC at the time - this is where many of the current boat owners and crew of today have leant their passion for sailing. There were also the E10.5's Pork Chop & The Butcher and the Ross Higher Ground. The racing was close and hard - with the odd protest and collision. Many of these boats are still racing today around the Country and overseas.....in my humble opinion the most successful of them all were Flying Boat and Snap Decision.....and they are both still in great condition and still sailing well.....either of these designs will still serve a worthy boat owner or family well......for either racing or trips away with the family....

Bimbo

Looks like a great fleet of performance based 35ft'ers from the (recent) good old days.

The Auckland 35ft fleet, including a number of those boats, was also very strong for a few years recently, however has dropped off.

Be great to see a turn around in numbers.

Archived