Crew help/Sailing experience for my daughter

iancollins

Hi,

I have a 13 (nearly 14) year old daughter who loves sailing. She is in the Young Mariners organisation (sea scouts for girls).

She got her day skipper earlier this year, and has passed her level 1 sailing certificate.

She regularly sails sunbursts and cutters - and has crewed on Copyright (Carino 40) in the BBYC womens winter sailing series.

She keeps asking me how she can further her sailing and get more experience.

I'd really like to help her progress, but don't know how (being from a non sailing background).

Can anyone suggest anything - or offer crewing experience for her.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian

See my post titled Crew Required For Day Sails &/Or Cruising. If this may interest your daughter then she is more than welcome to come sailing with us. You are more than welcome to come too so that everything is above board. I could try and get our 15 year old daughter to come out too although she prefers to just sail with me and is a bit shy of most of my crew who are in their 20s and older. She may be tempted if another youngster is on board though.

One of the other replies to your post mentions Lisa Lewis. She crews for me on occasion and I recommend following her up.

Best to contact me via e-mail iangabriel1968@gmail.com or 027 457 8220. We are next sailing Saturday 3rd August and/or possibly Sunday 4th August.

Cheers

Ian

Hi,

The best thing she can do (as far as big boats goes) is find a boat that she is comfortable and happy on and sail as much as she can, with a crew that will nurture her along. It doesn't need to be in a women's crew although she'll probably be happier with some females on board. Also somewhere that's handy for her parents to drive her to!

Tony Smith on Fast Company might be worth a try, he has a wonderful group including lots of women and as a parent I'd be very happy to have my daughter onboard Tony's boat - in fact he gave me my start. You can ring him at Westhaven Marine Brokers.

If she is keen on small boats then it's a matter of picking a club, picking a boat, and going for it!

Zoe

Archived