ross 830 sail area

does anyone have any comments on ross 830 square top main 22 sqm is this the way to go on a standard stiffened up rig with wider spreaders swept back. not sure what is the best balanced size main to suit ross 830s thank s jeremy

The main on BNG is 31.6sqm but there is a lot more downstairs with 2.2m draught and 550kg on the bottom. Also the headsails are bigger as the J measurement is extended so its well balanced. Not just the rig to consider but the righting moment as well. We had 24sqm square top on Energy (E7.4) and that was awesome.

A friendly sailmaker will probably be able to add to this.

the keel is a standard with a bulb not sure of the ballast weight 1.65 m down are you better to go to bigger headsails vs squaretop keep standard main . i imagine the squaretop are easy too depower or small 1st reef. these boats are quite tender . we really lack horsepower in the light it goes well in 15 knotts better

Jeremy,

I think the square head is the best option, has the power in the light but depower's easier than a pinhead when the breeze it up. Quite often I find that when we do a squarehead main people are worried about being overpowered but after they have sailed in a range of conditions that say they wish they had made it bigger as the boat carries the sail easily. Reaching and running its also a huge advantage.

The downsides are the topmast running backstays that you need.

Doing a full size jib is also very important.Especially if you increase the main area. You need to ditch the self tackers and get a 105% maximum area jib. The self tackers are ok in above 15kts.

I think I might have come sailing with you when I was down there a few months ago doing the coaching clinic but I couldn't remember if you had bigger jibs or the standard self tacker.

If you dont already have them then you need to put tracks on your cabintop, around 75mm in fromt he outside edge of your cabintop and going from 200mm in front of your sidestays to 300mm behind your sidestays. This will probably bridge the angle change of your cabintop where it starts to angle down at the front so you may need to pack this out a bit at the front end.

I think this is probably the single biggest performance gain you could make.

We have done a lot of this type of modifications with the 930s and 780s and it works well.

Most recently was the hotdogger, they have a squaretop main and larger 105% jib and the standard keel and are currently the top ranked 930.The carbon rig probably helps a bit too!

thanks booboo i have been talking to kent too iwill get him to measure up the rig we do have tracks on cabin top 11sqm# 2 8.25 luff leech 7.3 foot 2.81 #3 7.75 2.22 foot leech 6.80 self tacker main presently about 17 sqm roughly rig has back stay with a flicker gordie swipt back the spreaders extra set at top for mast head not sure what is the best rigset up for 830s . ill get kent to take photos see what your thoughts are cheers jeremy

Archived