Decisions...

shovelopikis

I think that if you first look to sail in the gulf and BOI then pretty much any boat that doesn't sink on you next week will do for a bit. But resale is something to be acutely aware of.

I have myself at one time bought an older almost unknown (in NZ, but famous in Europe) boat, plywood, unglassed. and proceeded to spend vast amounts of money learning about boat maintenance and boat building. I basically gave the boat away in the end after I shifted countries.

I spent a lot of money, and I learnt a lot, and never sailed further than Te Kouma in that boat. I had a lot of fun.

The 1/2 tonner might be a great boat when in good nick, I don't know, but because it's rare (one off?) it's really unlikely to be valuable unless you take it out on the water and race the hell out of it and win everything.

Before buying it, however, you should get a survey to tell you things that will need attending to first. These are things that you and possibly the current owner don't know about.

944755_10201406508785574_676760775_n.jpg

This pic shows that the boat is double diagonal (i'm pretty sure), and as we can see the plank seams, and the sheer clamp fixings, it's probably not glassed (not necessarily a bad thing. The visible fixings at the sheer might also say something wrt what might need doing. I'm not dissing the boat, but it's important to go into it knowing as much as possible about what's needed.

I suggest you find somewhere cheap or free and close to home, to haulout and keep the boat to work on it for a few months before setting out for the coming summer. You will get a vast amount more done to make the boat what you want if you can work on the hard for a few dedicated months.

Do you have any wood working skills? Worked with Epoxy? Be prepared to buy some good quality marine ply to patch the inevitable rot you will find at various places on the deck. If there are known soft spots on deck, there will be as many unknown ones.

Your home ownership plans will always take a hit, no matter which boat you buy.

Good luck

The Palace? yeah... a real diamond in the rough, that one.... :lol: she's a Clarke 7.7

Not something I'd like to take further than the gulf at the moment. But good for what we needed at the time.

She's available, as I understand it, but needs a fair amount of work.

We broke a runner as we headed out to Tut's a day after that nasty squall came through in the morning. I shimmied up the mast and jury rigged it by lashing it round the mast, and effectively reducing hoist to a double reef. But it was blowing dogs off chains out round the Mokohinaus that day (31 Dec), far above the forecasted gusting 35. She was a rough ride in the poor old Palace. Still she got us through to Tut's before dark.

Ruffian looks like she might come up well, but she'd still be a one off wrt resale.

Ah, I remember the day well.... Woke to WT dragging towards a wharf in 35-40 knots, out of the bunk, dressed outboard started and anchor up in about 20 seconds flat. At that point the holiday was over. 2 reefs and a #4 on and out we went with the dinghy on the foredeck. Very marginal trip past little barrier with issues slowing the boat down as we needed to bare away as we weren't laying horn rock. Got just a click over 18 knots on the log, under autopilot with Nina downstairs and me clipped on trying to re-tie the dinghy!

Happens every time I try to cruise. No desire to repeat the exercise this year!

thankyou to everyone and the input, this will be my first yacht so i shall be very cautious going into this, i think a survey of the boat is in order, and some more thinking

many thanks, and ill let y'all know how it goes if i do relocate it down to whitianga

cheers :thumbup:

Goodluck, Shovelopikis!

Ah, I remember the day well.... Woke to WT dragging towards a wharf in 35-40 knots, out of the bunk, dressed outboard started and anchor up in about 20 seconds flat. At that point the holiday was over. 2 reefs and a #4 on and out we went with the dinghy on the foredeck. Very marginal trip past little barrier with issues slowing the boat down as we needed to bare away as we weren't laying horn rock. Got just a click over 18 knots on the log, under autopilot with Nina downstairs and me clipped on trying to re-tie the dinghy!

Happens every time I try to cruise. No desire to repeat the exercise this year!

You bothered to dress?

We had strong WSW and also had trouble bearing away. With two reefs and a #3 we were still "slightly" over canvassed and I wasn't going to the foredeck to change it at that time, just held on and luffed up during the strongest gusts until we got into the lee of the Hen n Chicks then managed to bear away with Christina on the helm. Never before have I seen that much water come through a closed hatch with a boat right side up. Talk about design fail. Actually, that'd be a good topic for a different thread.

I would put the idea of sailing around NZ on hold for the meantime. There are some very good reasons for this ...

1. it would be very expensive to do properly in a safe vessel

2. you do not appear to have enough knowledge or experience yet

3. there is so much better cruising to be had between Whitianga and Mangonui

I would look seriously at something like the S&S 24 that is in the classifieds here. It looks like a yacht you could sail, without spending a lot of money. The others appear to be projects - not so much sailing, but plenty of work and spending.

Get some experience in a small keeler, without spending too much time or money on non-sailing activities. Then, armed with a whole lot of knowledge and experience, start looking at something bigger for more extensive voyages.

Archived