Instruments???

On tilt

Hi all,

I have at the moment a navman wind 3100 which has a broken screen so needs to be replaced. I also have a navman multi 3100s which seems to give me strange readings at times.

Any ideas on replacements?? Are navman any good? I've read that advan-sea can use the same transducers etc anyone know about this brand?

Thanks

If you want virtual instruments you still must have the nmea data streams from the transducers. Most, but not all transducers do not 'speak' nmea. Usually, the transducer connects either to a computer unit or the display unit, either of which convert the data from transducer signal to nmea.

Once you have the nmea stream, you can use a serial to WiFi multiplexor to transmitter the signals to a wireless device -tablet, laptop, whatever. You then need the software to display what you want.

I know I've been saying this for a while, but my new site, www.neptunes-gear.com, will be up in the next week, and we have all this stuff. You can pm me if you want to talk about it.

And I have cleared this with the ogre.. There will be an add on here once the site is functioning.

Matt

Haha :lol:

Yep. Last coding for freight quotation system should be completed by morning. Then test for a day or two, then online! Finally. Taken 8 weeks more than I expected, but I now see the end of the tunnel...

Once up, I'll give you a call about that add...

Very best of luck for your new venture IT! I'll be checking out your site as soon as its up and going.

Maharg there's a couple of ways but I'm looking at AIS so this......http://www.milltechmarine.com/Vesper-Ma ... html....... is interesting. Its an AIS transponder that can be connected (wired) to depth , wind , gps etc via the nmea 0183 protocol. The AIS transponder then sends this information over a Wi Fi signal. So on your smartphone or tablet you can have AIS on your charts plus the above mentioned instruments. I'm sure IT will have something worth checking out also.

That vesper unit is really nice. Yes, I have some similar stuff, but that unit is good. The nmea 2000 interface coupled with wireless is unique in what I've seen so far. The issue with the wireless devices is speed. Some are designed only to move nmea 183 stuff, and, if you want to have ais, most of them are 38400 baud. If you try to multiplex anything else into the same stream, they often overload and become unreliable.

We have another solution, as well as the wireless method. Its called boatranet. Basically its an onboard web server. All instruments, ais, radar, the works can connect to it. It then serves up webpages with customisable data (instruments, trending, nav etc) available wirelessly to any device with a browser. So your tablet, smartphone, laptop etc all work without installed software. Same for any guests aboard.

Also, as its a web server, it can, but does not have to, provide internet if there is any connection available.

Provides storage for any onboard data -manuals, books, stores list and location, music, movies, whatever you want.

All this info on my site soon....

Thanks for the info bbay and IT. Sounds like there are some exciting instrument options on the horizon, look forward to seeing your web site when it is up IT.

Sorry to take your original post slightly off topic On Tilt.

Hmmm my post has gone AWOL anyone have any advice on the original question?

I looked at them and they seemed to be OK, and lots of Google research showed that they didn't get significantly worse feedback than most other brands. I nearly bought some but in the end I got a special on a Raymarine set that was not a whole lot more than a few new displays that would work with the old transducers.

Archived