Alcatraz

Xntrix

Hi guys. Having bought the boat a week and a half before easter and rushing to get it ready for our maiden cruise, (fit replacement sail drive, fit engine with new exhaust etc, glass and fair keel and antifoul part of the bottom) we found out the flywheel was incorrectly fitted on the way out of westhaven on easter thursday as it came loose and broke all of its bolts off in the crankshaft.

We pulled the engine out again and repaired the damage and decided to do a few upgrades at the same time. We built a floor and back into the engine box and fully insulated and sealed them to reduce noise, re jigged the fuel system and revised the electrics. Photos to follow.

The boat is a 35 foot yacht built by Brin Wilsons in 1982 with solid wings for crew weight optimisation and it seems that most of Aucklands yachting fraternity has raced on her or against her at some point so any stories would be great.

We just fitted a used prop, $150 off TM, as the original had been bitten by the electric mice and bought a engine driven fridge freezer to fit as a replacement to the small electric one fitted. I also made a new sail cover as the old one fell apart.

We have a new no2 on order from Rick Royden and have ordered new halyards and runners and topmast backstay as well to replace the wire.

The plan is for a new keel in 2014 and a repaint in 2015 during the winters and cruise and race in the summers.

As said before, any stories would be great.

Cheers Dave

I first saw Alcatraz anchored off Narrow Neck beach when I was a teenager & was sailing a starling out of Wakatere BC. I couldn't believe my eyes, it had an awesome red paint job & just looked incredible with the wings. I next saw it after a Chinese gybe off Torpedo Bay pinned with the mast in the water & keel out, it stayed there for at least a minute from memory, but that was in the 80s.........Good luck, I've always loved that boat & really glad to see it being looked after.

You're not the first person to relay the story of it on its side there. About 3 people have mentioned it so it must have been a pretty busy harbour at the time. From what i have gleaned, when it was launched it had a VERY light keel as the idea was to rely on crew weight to keep it upright. Man plans, god laughs.

Great Boat .......... many a good story relating to this one , while nearing completion the squab maker phoned and asked " what colour are the squabs to be " well this was news to the then wife , apparently the guy building it had forgotten to inform his wife of his current toy project :shock: , well well who is guilty of this sort of carry on regarding boats :shh: ( myself personally , no more than heaps )

The story I've heard is that Paul came up with the concept and sketches and Grant drew the lines from these.

It seems pretty slippery as after fitting the new prop the other day I put the hammer down and instead of sucking the stern down, the wake cleaned up and formed a small rooster tail about 1.5m off the stern. I remember doing the same on a 1020 and the duckboard was underwater. Hope it bodes well.

Yay, all my new halyards and backstays arrived today. I've gone for 10mm dynema with full covers and spliced on snap shackles for the gen and kite halyards. I decided on the cheap $20 plunger snap shackles so I will keep you posted as to their longevity. On the main halyard I've spliced in a dynex tip with a soft shackle end. This will tighten over a diamond knot strop on the main (and boom end). I'll post pics soon. I will also weigh it all before fitting to compare with existing poly/wire halyards and wire back stays.

Does anyone know a splice for adding a 8mm tail onto a 12mm dynema line for the runners (so the load is taken by the 12mm however the 8mm will be faster and easier to pull in the bulk as the runners go out with the boom).

Cheers Dave

Got my new no3 out the other day and sorted out that the car has to go on the section of track that has been removed. I will have to bend up a new piece and fit it in between the aft section for the 1 and the fwd section for the 4. In the future I will get one piece bent up for each side but for now it will look super smooth with 3 sections but joined together.

They are hard. And the bollards punch straight through plywood.

All fixed up now, however over the holiday we had a planning session and decided to upgrade the keel job this year to a new cockpit as well as removing the wings. Might be struggling to get it back in by Chrissy but that's the intention.

Archived