Experienced tutor needed in Tauranga

Island_Moose

Hello all,

Within a month of buying my Nonsuch 30 my wife announced we were expecting our third child. As a result of this I lost my crew to pregnancy (not a common occurance).

This is my second yacht and I've done a lot of sailing, but I am getting no practice at all handling the yacht under power at the marina (Sulpher Point). As a result I am still a bit stressed about getting her in and out by myself with the family onboard this coming summer.

I was hoping there might be an old salt who wouldn't mind helping me get the hang of the thing this coming spring, it's got wicked prop walk and a real tendancy to blow off at the bow due to the unstayed mast.

Just a few times in and out of the berth, and maybe an introduction to the do and don't of navigating the harbour?

There would be compensation of the liquid kind afterward, and a sail on the only Nonsuch in the southern hemisphere.

Cheers,

John

j.william.morrison@gmail.com

As Squid said

Plus the biggest mistake most make is turning the helm before you are making way ( stop slightly offset so your prop will bring you straight well clear of your berth then don't move the helm until you are making good way astern, you will then find that you have steerage )

Pays to practice this out in an open ares with perhaps mooring buoys about to give you something to manuver around.

The next thing to do is setup a spring line on a nail on the pole you back around that can be attached as you coming in that stops you in the correct position

Next be willing to come in the other way if the situation looks difficult , in other words don't always park the same way as one day it maybe easier just to drive in/back in and it's no big thing if your and yours are used to doing things diferent ways.

Archived