Solo trans tasman

have you entered CO? the kermadecs is not to short - unless requirements have changed? used to be a 500 mile trip. Raul island and back is closer to 800 mils odd is it not? (from memory)...

I went from Wellington (Mana) straight out into the Tasman for 250 miles. you had to have not more than 3 waypoints to qualify, start, turn, finish....
What he said except the plan is ex-Akl and eastward for 250.1nm then a U turn.

Stop making sense!!

Na, I think we have to get it in and done a wee ways prior. There are limited entry numbers and a waiting list. That's a fair call I think.

you have to get permission to use the voyage to new Plymouth, as its more than 3 waypoints, and there is/was a "must be completed by" date. however, at least one entrant was allowed to do this

last time.

Me and Redline tells me he has also had a brain fart and fired in the paperwork. Sadly he's a tweaky 930 unlike my old family cruiser version so I may have to knobble him somehow :)

Planned a route? Knot as yet bar aim high.

Insurance. Mine is covered under what I use here, which a elevated excess for racing incidents, which did surprise me greatly when I checked. What's weirder is I am also personally covered so I'll be double checking the Wa isn't being 'too helpful' in the days before departure :)

But before all that I have to get the boat workin. So far so good, be nice to be a bit further ahead but I've had some issues in a few places. I'm still OK with where I'm at and have set up so much it should go from shambles to OK in a short time frame.

Romany - I would do that and it is what I have always done in the past. But at present I only own about 20% of the boat. At that I wouldn't consider going. But I will get enough from my Mum;s estate to end up owning 80% or more, at which point I wouldn't mind asking the very decent other owner if i could take his 20% across the tasman, but because of that would feel the need for insurance.

It will be at least 2 more years and more likely three before we can get out cruising for real, and I was looking at this as something fun to do in the interim. But what they quoted me for insurance would cover the wind generator I want with enough left over for a new headsail.

David, I acknowledge you are a braver man than me because you have already done this and good on you.

Much to my chagrin I may well have missed the boat on this kind of behaviour and I deeply, deeply wish I had made other choices.

Bugger.

Insurance. Mine is covered under what I use here, which a elevated excess for racing incidents, which did surprise me greatly when I checked.
Correction. She's knot covered if racing out past the 200nm line. Oh well, so be it.

asking the very decent other owner if i could take his 20% across the tasman, but because of that would feel the need for insurance.
Just for interests sake, you saying you would or wouldn't insure the remaining 20%?

I suppose you have to ponder that age old question proffered by that great Poet, Mr H Callahan, to a punk having a very bad day, "you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"".

I just figured since I don't own the boat outright I would insure it for his sake. Hadn't thought of splitting it and just insuring his portion . Plus they want a full survey and rig check even thought they are the current insurers and would remain so without said inspections if I just sail to say Bluff and back but not in a race.

I had insurance for my solo Tasman. it was very reasonable. try Brian Hepburn for a quote. the only company that would cover me in a singlehanded bluwater race..... from memory, the years cover, including the race then cruising 2 handed to se Asia was abt 50% more than normal cover here with a 200nm limit.

last time most of the boats on the waiting list got in... many boats withdrew, and, in the end the race was not full...

Archived