Americas Cup race 16 & 17 if needed

Basically it's turning into a classic match-race, the start is crucial as the boats are even and who wins the start normally goes onto win the race.....
A classic match race my arse. OR got the holeshot and simply covered ETNZ to the finish. They could have left Sir Benny on the beach and taken a Labradoodle as tactician for that one.

That's what match racing is! Winning the start and covering after that!

In that case this new definition of match racing is seriously boring and has me wondering why bother having a 2nd mark.

At first ETNZ boat was clearly faster and it didn't matter how good or bad the ETNZ was. Now the two boats are very very close to being the same speed. So that now highlights the cracks there maybe in any team. So far more cracks appear to be showing in ETNZ than Oricle.

Oracle won that start in the last 20 seconds with a better time on distance run which is a reverse of the first couple of races. Its game on well and truly and thats at least 3 races in a row where they have been well and truly out sailed from start to finish. Surly Oracle will crack eventually or ETNZ will sail a perfect race?

We have one more opportunity for a clean win. It's 8-8 on the water. If we don't win the next one, then it will likely either end up in court or be an Oracle win outright.

Currently Oracle are doing a better job. Better sailing, better tactics. With the last race records, you'd have to have your money on Oracle to win the next race.

My confidence in ETNZ is shaken. :cry:

Go ETNZ, one more. Please?

What happens if ETNZ pulls the "get out of jail card" on the second race tomorrow???

No more racing after Tuesday (SF time)

Just saying

Coast guard have given permission to extend the cup racing untill there is a winner

What happens if ETNZ pulls the "get out of jail card" on the second race tomorrow???

No more racing after Tuesday (SF time)

Just saying

Coast guard have given permission to extend the cup racing untill there is a winner

But the BBS (Big Boat Series)starts on thursday

Oracle have port entry in the first race tomorrow and us in the second, seems strange...

How come? ETNZ were to have the port entry for race 16 and 17. Now it is Oracle with port entry for race 17?

Off the Herald website:

Although the official wind range for the event is 5-23 knots, regatta director Iain Murray did not want to start a race in under 10 knots after the teams failed to complete the course within the prescribed 40-minute time limit in light winds on Saturday. That saw the race abandoned just as Team NZ were about to round the bottom mark for the final time with a 1.5km lead - much to the outrage of Kiwi fans, who thought they were about to witness a famous victory.

Murray said now they have the data modelling that shows teams cannot complete the course in time in anything under 10 knots, it would be silly to go ahead and start races if the breeze is not strong enough.

Seems to be a worst-of-both-worlds combination of being driven by rules and agreements that don't work, and just plain making it up.

I am with you, but that is what it said on the Americas Cup app.

It said something along the lines of " Port entry alternates for each race slot" and if there was onyl one race today O would have first port entry tomorrow.

Sounds like we are getting shafted as every race that has been called of we loose tha advantage, but surely ETNZ management team wouldn't let that happen.

I am with you, but that is what it said on the Americas Cup app.

It said something along the lines of " Port entry alternates for each race slot" and if there was onyl one race today O would have first port entry tomorrow.

Sounds like we are getting shafted as every race that has been called of we loose tha advantage, but surely ETNZ management team wouldn't let that happen.

Nope it evens out in the long run. The first race always alternates, but it's the 2nd race that carries over. So ETNZ will have port entry in tomorrow arvo's race, then the following morning if they don't win that race.

if positions were reversed at that start it seems that Oracle would have pushed us up into the wind and then turned down for the line and won the start convincingly, or am I just stupid? :?:

agreed

is that agreed that I,m stupid or that Oracle would have done better? :wink:

if positions were reversed at that start it seems that Oracle would have pushed us up into the wind and then turned down for the line and won the start convincingly, or am I just stupid? :?:

agreed

is that agreed that I,m stupid or that Oracle would have done better? :wink:

Haha no agree that oracle would have tried to push us up. But then they haven't always done that and still got to the gate first, they are a fraction quicker to accelerate it seems.

Archived