A viable outlook

What ever the outcome tomorrow maybe, the reports of the coverage response from the usa and world wide public make another campaign economically viable to sponsors.

ETNZ would be top of anyone's list as a valuable commodity going forward, either way the outcome turns

Go ETNZ keep the faith

Can/will ETNZ pull the "card" tomorrow and delay the racing until next week?

I think everyone is ready to finish racing one way or another, no doubt oracles use of their card worked for them , without it we would have probably have won last week , but I would be surprised if ETNZ use theirs in a similiar way tomorrow, if we still lost after using it perhaps many would see it as being poor sports? I think ETNZ,s main attraction for sponsors is as a good strong team that always plays fair?...On the other hand we could still win somehow ...we still have a chance, just need some luck, just seems we have used up all our good luck when we avoided the capsize, could be put off by strong winds tomorrow anyway. This must be a dream result for the organisers and sponsors though, almost too good to be true for them. :wink:

What ever the outcome tomorrow maybe, the reports of the coverage response from the usa and world wide public make another campaign economically viable to sponsors.

ETNZ would be top of anyone's list as a valuable commodity going forward, either way the outcome turns

Go ETNZ keep the faith

I don't know where you get that from. Few Americans were interested and it was difficult to find on the one tv channel that showed it. There was little media attention except perhaps for the last race and final result. Other countries even worse.

NZ very different because we see it as a national team and get swept up in the little NZ thing. Actually the outcome being in doubt to some extent, and the form reversal probably added to it rather than the racing per se..

Few Americans were interested and it was difficult to find on the one tv channel that showed it.

Don't know where you got that from. I've spoken a half dozen americans from the bay area, none of whom sail or know much about the sport, in the last week and the best response I got this morning was from a client's wife who said “What are we going to do with ourselves now with no more races to watch?”

TNZ is the longest running team in the AC, brought real composites technology into the cup, was the 1st team outside the US to successfully defend the cup, brought foiling to the cup. I'd suggest that all we need is a couple of very savvy smart people to take over from Dalton and it'll be pretty easy to convince sponsors that its a viable brand.

Hey everyone, I just thought I'd make a quick post from an American perspective.

First of all, massive respect to ETNZ and its fans, which I can only assume is pretty much your entire country (a very cool thing, btw). What a classy group of competitors and fans. I have to say that on the day of the final race, I was really glad the US had been a part of this America's Cup final, no matter what the outcome turned out to be. Hopefully it's the same for ETNZ and their fans.

To be fair, I do follow sailing, though I don't sail myself. I'm from Nebraska, which is just about as middle of our country as you can get. But even here there has been some interest in the America's Cup. All races were shown on one of our newer sports channels, but they were definitely shown. I can only imagine interest has been greater along the coasts.

Americans love sports, and I honestly do think this America's Cup has turned some heads in this country. Not only the comeback, but the nature of the AC72's, how it was held along the coast, and so on. Keep in mind we have over 300M people in the US. If even 1% of our population sat up and took notice, that's more than 3M people. So while I'm not saying the entire country is going to suddenly fall in love with sailing, I do think an impact has been made, and it's a start.

So again, much love and respect to your and your team. I loved watching the competition and definitely hope to see a strong Team NZ in future competitions and the next America's Cup.

Hey everyone, I just thought I'd make a quick post from an American perspective.

First of all, massive respect to ETNZ and its fans, which I can only assume is pretty much your entire country (a very cool thing, btw). What a classy group of competitors and fans. I have to say that on the day of the final race, I was really glad the US had been a part of this America's Cup final, no matter what the outcome turned out to be. Hopefully it's the same for ETNZ and their fans.

To be fair, I do follow sailing, though I don't sail myself. I'm from Nebraska, which is just about as middle of our country as you can get. But even here there has been some interest in the America's Cup. All races were shown on one of our newer sports channels, but they were definitely shown. I can only imagine interest has been greater along the coasts.

Americans love sports, and I honestly do think this America's Cup has turned some heads in this country. Not only the comeback, but the nature of the AC72's, how it was held along the coast, and so on. Keep in mind we have over 300M people in the US. If even 1% of our population sat up and took notice, that's more than 3M people. So while I'm not saying the entire country is going to suddenly fall in love with sailing, I do think an impact has been made, and it's a start.

So again, much love and respect to your and your team. I loved watching the competition and definitely hope to see a strong Team NZ in future competitions and the next America's Cup.

Great post. Appreciate the feedback :thumbup:

Archived