Kero stove fuel

Guest 000

I have a good old kero stove on board which runs on......kerosine.

I have heard about running these stoves on Jet A-1 fuel - it powers a 747 so it must be good stuff, right?

Apparently, Jet A-1 is just normal kerosine but with a slightly higher calorific value and without the additives so it burns cleaner and very slightly hotter which all sounds desirable to me. (And its also cheaper than kerosine in those little 1 litre bottles). However, I am a bit averse to blowing myself all over the Coromandel so any advice/experience with jet fuel in stoves would be appreciated.

Chris

should be fine

as you've been told

jet fuel, as opposed to avgas, is basically high purity kero

just don't get confused and use high octane avgas, or petrol, once they start burning in a kerosene stove the whole thing gets very hot very quickly as the jet is too big for the fuel. and trying to dump the tank pressure by opening the pressure release valve can lead to the flame also jumping across to the vent so it gets even hotter, quicker, at which stage you would need to smother the whole thing with a foam or powder extinguisher and/or evacuate the boat and call your insurance company

Thanks for the replies.

I know someone who flies helicopters so procurement of Jet A-1 is not a problem for me, and he also tells me that at the smaller provincial airports it is usually possible to front up with a jerrycan and get it filled - probably not possible at big international airports, unfortunately.

I was a bit worried that the extra heat from burning jet fuel might make mischief with the stove's burners but this would not be the case??

it's not a higher octane fuel

just a cleaner, more pure fuel

the difference in burn temp is negligible

but if after everyone telling you it is ok you still have doubts

stick to what you are comfortable with

An update for kero stove users.

Sunair which I believe have a presence at most airports will sell Jet A1 (kerosine) to the public.

Minimum quantity is 20 litres at $2.50 per litre. Works a treat in my stove and a lot cheaper than hardware store prices.

An update for kero stove users.

Sunair which I believe have a presence at most airports will sell Jet A1 (kerosine) to the public.

Minimum quantity is 20 litres at $2.50 per litre. Works a treat in my stove and a lot cheaper than hardware store prices.

thanks for that, the warehouse want $8 or 9 a ltr for the blue kero

and it'd rather cook and breath without the blue dye

healthier :mrgreen:

chatting to a semi-homeless guy the other day about cooking rough

he said that surprisingly enough

he'd found countdown the best place to buy 1ltr containers of kero and meths

had to ask the staff where it was

but sure enough it was there

http://shop.countdown.co.nz/#url=/Shop/SearchProducts%3Fsearch%3Dkerosene

http://shop.countdown.co.nz/#url=/Shop/SearchProducts%3Fsearch%3Dmethylated%2Bspirit

cheaper than the places you would normally think to get it

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Andrews-Kerosene-1L?SKU=365684

http://www.bunnings.co.nz/search/products?q=kerosene&redirectFrom=Any

Been in Aviation for many years Jet A1 does burn hotter, ran it in Kero heaters, not sure what the long term affects would be on the stove??? Lots of airlines do water drains from their fuel tanks and need to dispose that fuel as the fuel suppliers will not purchase back from them.