Shipping v Yacht Club Racing

What do you think our best approach is to share our waters with shipping?

It would be great if there could be some give and take on both sides. Are a ships arrival/departure times fixed in stone?

I also think that Clubs should get tough on errant skippers.

Add a clause into the SI's to disqualify skippers who are reported by the HM or Pilot maybe?

How can we best share the waters?

Are a ships arrival/departure times fixed in stone?

Some ship types run more to a schedule, an example was the 0500 Monday arrival of one service.

Departures can be much more fluid which can have an impact on other shipping both arrivals and departures. Weather / cargo delays / breakdown / labour availability / traffic blockages off wharf and so on can all affect departure times.

Other ships will arrive at the time they state and that could change due to weather / breakdown / other shipping traffic.

I also think that Clubs should get tough on errant skippers.

Add a clause into the SI's to disqualify skippers who are reported by the HM or Pilot maybe?

Jim Lott had a good approach. He approached the yacht clubs and had them deal with the problem ones.

From my experiences there are some skippers out there that will always push the limits and they have no idea of the possible consequences - In one case a few years back the pilot was within a whisker of emergency full astern which would most likely have resulted in the yacht being clear but the ship colliding with another ship.

As it was one yacht passed approx. 10metres off the fwd tug which had to alter what it was doing which was communicated to the pilot and had an impact on limiting the options the pilot had. The fact that people on the yacht were shaking their fists at the tug showed the tug crew that the skipper was an idiot as well as the crew.

BTW this occurred south a line from the end of Fergusson and Bledisloe 2, the ship's midships was in between Fergusson and Jellicoe. So the yacht was in an area that it was prohibited from entering under the MTA.

So yes I totally agree with the Clubs taking an active part.

How can we best share the waters?

The ships do not suddenly move, there are announcements on VHF 12 prior to letting go.

Pilots call on 12 as they pass A buoy inward.

Shipping info is also available on line, the times are subject to change so allow 10-20min leeway.

http://www.poal.co.nz/shipping_cargo/schedules.htm

With regards to the larger events - get the Clubs talking to the Harbour masters office. If enough people get onto the HM the issue will be brought up at a harbour users meeting - thinking of that what about asking the HM if it is possible to attend meeting to present concerns ask questions directly to those that have the info.

...With regards to the larger events - get the Clubs talking to the Harbour masters office. If enough people get onto the HM the issue will be brought up at a harbour users meeting - thinking of that what about asking the HM if it is possible to attend meeting to present concerns ask questions directly to those that have the info.

Great feedback!

Would this be a job for YNZ or even AYBA?

AYBA have the calendars and know what is going on. 1 representative rather than many from different Clubs.

What do you think YNZ?

It would also make good tactical sense to listen out on C12 while racing.

All good points.

The Auckland Harbourmasters Office used to hold Harbour Users Meetings which were a great way for the users to discuss issues just like this. Unfortunately they became a shooting match around mooring consent issues and the council stopped running them a while back. I have spoken to the harbourmasters office recently and they won't be running them again any time soon.

They do have a copy of the Auckland (AYBA) racing calendar and are mindful of major events such as the coastal and do what they can around restricting shipping for the start, however it is unlikely shipping movements will make way for Wednesday night racing and the like.

The harbourmasters are happy to have an open discussion around issues for clubs and boaties on the harbour. With the absence of the old harbour users meeting the best thing to do would have the AYBA get the harbourmaster or a deputy along to one of their delegates meetings and promote the opportunity for discussion through the clubs and this forum. The guys have turned up to these meetings before and are happy to continue to do so.

They do have a copy of the Auckland (AYBA) racing calendar and are mindful of major events such as the coastal and do what they can around restricting shipping for the start, however it is unlikely shipping movements will make way for Wednesday night racing and the like.

Having worked for POAL I would advise that POAL need to be advised directly of the larger events where shipping may impact / be impacted. I remember well calling Hbr Control when I was standing on north head and saw a ship leaving Chelsea - no one had been told about the event.

So rather than being passive and saying they have been given the book, my advice is that Harbour Control should be called a few weeks before, and then the week before, then the day before then on the day call them on VHF 12 and confirm the times and ask if they have any shipping planned.

Agree on the Wednesday night racing - way to much of a restriction.

My suggestion as someone who knows both sides is that people get to know about the shipping movements (what approx time, where the ship is going to / from) and use that knowledge to assist their tactics. :thumbup: