deck non skid options

Hi

Currently doing a deck repaint on my Chris white 26 in international toplac and weighing up non skid options

Reckon there are 3 options:

- put some non skid stuff on the toplac

- use interdeck on non skid areas

- use kiwigrip in non skid areas

Have had mixed experience with interdeck in the past and like the idea of the kiwigrip at think it might hide a few sins in my old go decks....anyone had any experience of It? Any other suggestions or Recommendations?

D

After trying several options now, the latest being the Kiwigrip, I finally have my preference. I am disappointed with the Kiwigrip. It is too hard and sharp. Looks good and has good grip, but too darn hard and sharp to walk on in my sensitive bare feet and I doubt anyone is going to be able to lie on it to sunbath.

I don't like the sand in paint either. It looks awesome when first done, but after a few years it looks dirty and is a pain to remove to repaint. The plastic sand in paint does look good also and may wear better and perhaps easy to remove again. It's the only one I haven't tried, although I have seen it used and it looks good.

The favorite of mine is a product called Tread Grip. It is a rubberised paint with rubber chips in it. The stuff was made for non slip area's around swimming pools. It has lasted for years on my decks and re coat is simply a wash and re paint. It is water based,providing easy clean up. I bought White and tinted it too my own preference. Tread Grip came from Guthrie Barrowns. I don't know if that is a North Island company, but it is in the South Island.

I'm doing mine at the moment, when it stops raining, with kiwigrip. There's an art to getting it grippy without being too radical. I find if I put it on, roll it and then roll it after leaving for ten minutes it leaves a very grippy surface. If its just done straight , that is without the ten minute wait its much less grippy. It does look magnificent though and covers a lot of muck.

Havn't you been practising on your bed of nails Wheels? :D I'm more concerned with having good grip. The penthouse pets can throw a towel on it. :shock:

I used both systems on the Young.

For the interior where I walk around on the hull skin I used the kiwigrip textured roller stuff. I found that in cold weather it slumps before it has a chance to harden off. So the grip profile was really average and not very grippy at all. It apparently works better in hot conditions. But it is very heavy and never looks 100% good. Always a bit amateur and uneven in places

On the decks I used the single pot pre-mixed Interdeck non-skid. This stuff is really cheap actually, but you need to buy a couple of 500ml tins of cream and one 500ml of grey, so you can manually tint it to a modern looking colour. The standard colours look 'old' and don't match anything! Still 3 tins are cheaper than 1 of the kiwi grip stuff. The inter deck needs a couple of days to go properly hard, but after that it's great. I'm very happy with how it's come out. you put it on with a normal roller and it's not too agressive and looks professional from not too much effort.

Please don't let my brother see this thread , he likes the spray on stuff ............ me roll on the kiwi grip when it's not to hot and go for gold.. if its to sharp .... toughen up or give it a sand with some 40 grit :shh:

:D wheels wont like this option...its even worse than sand, but I have used blasters garnet. (under polyurethene).

The grip is sensational...and yep as the paint wears it throws up sort of red/brown colour.

Its like the deck is covered with 60 grit wet n dry.

Will take all that dead skin off ...and I go through trousers.

I dont regret it though, with the decks washed over it still keeps my feet stuck.

Just did some work on a brand new 40 foot cat. The grippy stuff was average, but to keep the shiny, shiny there was way to much area without it.......a disaster waiting to happen.

You had to think constantly where you where going to walk....and thats in a marina....

As an aside,...breaking the non slip up into panels with no more than 40mm between, rounding the edges, and following the obvious boat lines makes a huge differance to how it looks. My decks now do look dirty, no matter what I do, but I am beyond caring about those things. Having slipped once and badly bruised my ribs, the loss of enjoyment for the next few weeks makes my decks sparkly wonderful everytime I look at them.. :)

Archived