Trailer Yacht

halsey, what do you want to spend? do you want cruise race or race/cruise?

What sort of car do you own?

Where will you be sailing?

Is interior volume a priority?

Once we have the above criteria locked down we can tighten up existing options?

Cheers

splat

Actually I would be interested in people's thoughts on this too, say between a Farr 740 and a Ross 780.

Aim would be some racing (eg Up to 26, maybe SIMRAD, other bits and pieces) and the odd overnight with kids (Waiheke, but also lakes eg Taupo and Rotoiti and maybe BOI).

Thoughts? More interested in $25K range so larger Elliot trailer boats may be our of range.

Hi Halsey & SBR,

As a comparison the R 780 is probably more flexible and has considerably greater interior volume than a F740.( it will sleep six in a jam but four is probably more comfortable.

performance wise a 780 would in my view easily outdo a F740 cruising or otherwise. The R 780 hopwood boats in most cases appear to be holding up well with some cedar strip example also being configured nicely. Some are very home finished though.

The F740's unless modified have running backstays and an inline rig, most that I'm aware of have been converted to twin swept and a backstay when required. maximum berthage 4. Although the owners of these boats really seem to like them. see farr owner website. Some have been raced hard in the past and I;m aware of some developing issues around CB cases.

The R 780' seem to use two main mast profiles with most boats now using an etchells section with considerable pre-bend and rig tension, mainsail luff curves and overall profile cut to suit flexibility.

R 780 vary in price between mid to high teens and much higher although the current market appears quite soft.

N25's are great all round boat in my view, although generally over priced due to stuffed deck gear, very tired sails, overall age and often trailers on their last legs. Examples range between 5,000 k no trailer, lots of work needing new everything up to and 40,000 k with all the cruising bits. Great boat in breeze, up and down, will plane very comfortably with Kite up and fantastic interior layout and volume for size.

Gazelles particularly mark 1's are solid boats that appear to sail well especially in breeze but i would think their all up towing weight would be high. Overall they appear to be alot of boat for the price.

Aquarius 22, good cruiser, reasonable to tow and price varies see trade me. stub keel ballasted and weighted centreboard. price seems to vary greatly, again in most cases deck gear trailers and sails will betired.

Noelex 22 - not standard and vary greatly, but marten marine boats make good all round cruiser racers at a modest price and great in heavy air.

The elliott 7.4's as others attest are great boats (somewhat rare though) with very good stability and interior volume and come in both wing keel versions and aftermarket bulb conversions. Seem very pricy maybe that's scarcity. Suppose jandal version would sit/dry out better if required but need to check with Elliott on that one.

Personally, if I was in your shoes and didn't want to break the bank for 2 plus one I would look at a N 22 or may be a Ross 650 if you could find one (make sure it has a bulb).

The beauty of the smaller boats is you won't need a large car to tow them. They won't break the bank and you can race them at under 26 club or wherever if you want.

The boats over 23 ft are generally considerably heavier,have braked trailers with corresponding maintenance and the fun factor is not exponentially proportional to size. Try a smaller cheaper boat out and see if it works with the family on nice days first and then you can always trade up later.

Whatever you do with the family cruise in good conditions and plan to get to your destination early... afterall its suppose to be fun and relaxing. If you are involving little persons, a cheap dinghy unders upervision/tethered will provide hours of fun.

cheers

Splat

Don't forget the Catalina 23. The later models had a pop top. They are generally in the 11 - 18k range and I think are much better value than a Gazelle.

For an ex dinghy sailor, I agree the F740 looks like great value. Lots of room, a bit of excitement, even allowing for the runners

The Gazelle on it's trailer is touching 2.5 tonnes with only sailing gear on board, so towing is getting into the grey areas of staying within the hazy towing regulations.

With all the gear for a week out on the water they would be closer to 3 tonnes.

Guest Dry Reach
The Gazelle on it's trailer is touching 2.5 tonnes with only sailing gear on board, so towing is getting into the grey areas of staying within the hazy towing regulations.

With all the gear for a week out on the water they would be closer to 3 tonnes.

If you want room, comfort, low costs for sails etc... and a rig you don't have to worry about.

get one of these.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1046/146 ... 0a.jpg?v=0

:crazy:

i'd rather get a race boat and make it comfortable below than have a roomy dog and be forever going slow and taking forever to get somewhere!

Theseus-what impressed me most about that list is the sheer number of them.

A lot of designs and a lot of trailer yachts. The trouble is most of them are sitting around the place not being used.

I heard that about 30 years ago some sewing machine salesman was having trouble selling new sewing machines. People weren't buying them because their old ones were still OK. He came up with the idea which is common now of offering a trade in on their old machine even though he had no use for them. I think he shipped them to the Pacific Islands. This made the way for selling a lot more new machines (which were crap and did not last).

May be we should be doing this with boats. Next time there is a cylone or tsunami someone could buy up all these unused boats and give them to a third world country and create a market for new boats here.

Thanks to all for the information - helping to narrow it down!

There is a point about wanting decent performance but also understand about weight.

Anyone got advice on pulling eg a Ross 780 or Nolex 25 with at 3 litre AWD?

In terms of length/displacement for speed the Ross 650 sounds interesting but apart from a few for sale in Aus, doesn't look to be many around NZ?

The Ross 650 is a very tender flighty boat, if you don't mind a wooden boat, the small joker is a great boat, water ballasted and light to tow. Waikato yacht squadron have alot of them and could give you heads up on any for sale.

Thanks to all for the information - helping to narrow it down!

There is a point about wanting decent performance but also understand about weight.

Anyone got advice on pulling eg a Ross 780 or Nolex 25 with at 3 litre AWD?

In terms of length/displacement for speed the Ross 650 sounds interesting but apart from a few for sale in Aus, doesn't look to be many around NZ?

We pulled our 780 with a HQ Holden on an unbraked trailer, even hauled it over the bryderwen ranges/mamaku's

What ever you do avoid hauling and rigging a 780 for a weekend sail it is a major effort!. Suggest that you spalsh it for summer, sitting it on a pole/berth set to go Friday arvo. And park it on the front lawn for winter, in that case you only need to borrow someones wagon for the arvo twice a year!

Important to keep in mind the ability to re sell the boat..best for that are the R780 or a Nolex 22.