at last

oooooh woooooo hooooooo woooooooo, a quiet village, the lion sleeps tonight..............

He can't get to sleep with all that Din !

A Wimoweh, a wimoweh....................

Bloody hell! I can't get that tune outa my head now dammit...

Funny thing at work, song is written in 1957 or such like.

Start off with,

In the Jungle the mighty jungle the lion sleeps tonight (see Squid I told you he wasn't in the village),

Our whole staff starts off and rattles off the rest of the song, know all the words, no mistakes, and pretty much in tune!

Holy sh*t say I, we have at least 6 guys under 20 and they all know the words !

Says something about the song, and why its such a great name for a boat.

You bastard Wolf, now I'm at it.... bugger.

Ha fancy that. I just had a suss and that song goes back even further -

1st version was done in 1939 by the Evening Birds and called 'Mbube' (Zulu of Lion)

Then in 1951 The Weavers tweaked it a little and released it called 'Wimoweh'

Then The Tokens tweaked it again and in 1961 scored #1 in the charts under the title of 'The Lion Sleeps tonight'.

And the Wimoweh version was last released in 1999 by Desmond Decker, Roger Whittaker in 1994 did it also. Along with quite a few others.

The Lion Sleeps tonight version has been released by many, the last being in 2009 as a instrumental by Melo-M. Dave Neuman in 72, Brian Eno did a cover in 75, as did REM in 1993 but that was titled 'The sidewinder sleeps tonite'.

Whatta ya know.

I hope Clint doesn't have to explain the name much, he'll be there all day :lol: :lol:

And here endth the Mr Wolf inspired Crew Culture Moment for friday :lol:

That song has dumb lyrics

Go to sleep, everythings Ok coz there's a lion sleeping in the village tonight!!!

If there was a lion sleeping in my village I would be seriously worried.

No the lion is sleeping near the village.

Hush my darling, don't fear my darling, the lion sleeps tonight !

wimoweh is a great name for a boat, that's why clint's is Wimoweh2, some1 must of already used it.

wimoweh is a farr 38

"The Lion Sleeps Tonight" came from a Legend that actualy had nothing to do with a Literal Lion. It was one of those Tribal Legends about a Zulu Chief that had been killed, but the Legend told the story as the Chief not being dead, but actually he was Asleep just outside the Village and one day would awake again.

That is why the words don't make complete sense if you take this as a Literal Lion sleeping by the Village.

The Song "In The Jungle" came about in a way that is considered today as one of Musics Miricles. It is one of the great musical mysteries of all time. Sadly, American music legends made millions off the work of a Zulu tribesman who died a pauper.

In 1939, Solomon Linda was standing in front of a microphone in the only recording studio in black Africa when it happened. He hadn't composed the melody or written it down or anything. He just opened his mouth and out it came, a haunting skein of fifteen notes that flowed down the wires and into a trembling stylus that cut tiny grooves into a spinning block of bees wax, which was taken to England and turned into a record that became a very big hit in that part of Africa.

Later, the Song landed in America, where it mutated into a truly immortal pop epiphany that soared to the top of the charts and eventually was heard all over the World. It continued to resuface every decade or so under different names and guises.

Solomon never made a cent from the recording and it is considered that the Royalties that should have been paid to him would have been in the area of US$10-15 Million.

The particular style that Solomon sung the song, created a style of African Folk Music still alive today.

Heather raced and cruised with me, RNI, Sydney Hobarts, Melbourne Osaka, 17 Trans Tasmans. I was officially the skipper and she was the navigator. I designed our boats but she and the boys helped build them. At 79 she's slowed up a bit (so have I) but did her latest Trans Tasman last August. She began helping build our first boat when we were 16 and 18 respectively and I guess I have just taken it for granted ever since. Damned woman won't sit on the rail when we're cruising though.

Hi Clint D fantastic, congratulations mate. I think at least part of the reason for the thread drift has to be your avatar, found myself sitting here smiling and drooling!! But thats not unusual..

Just read the whole thread again - hilarious!!! Thanks for resurrecting it. :lol:

And I believe Clint d's avatar was a later addition. It's been bugging me for while now actually but I never mentioned it. He stole the honour of most-loved-avatar-on-crew.org from me!!! :x

What the *&^%????@!!!! You've bought an Alan Wright Marauder? Why that's the most sexist, bigoted boat that was ever designed! It's absolutely chock-full to the gunnels with anti-female rhetoric, and the loutish woman-hating behaviour that was built as standard into every cubbyhole and dorade is nothing short of appalling!!!

I for one hang my head in shame for you, for there is simply no recovering from this purchase. Even if Germaine Greer herself got down on her knees and gave you a blow job.[/quote

Oh sh*t, had me in tears trying to read this aloud to my beloved.

yep she is mine , great little boat, had her for over a year now, i paid at the top of the price range for her, but worth it in my opinion as she is in really good condtion, I keep her up by the Panmure Yacht club :D

Archived