END OF YEAR RUM RACE 2013

Again as per last year, we'll be running three separate courses, 7nm, 8.7nm and 11.6nm. We'll also have a special longer course for Team Vodafone Sailing, something that's hopefully long enough for them to get onto a second round of drinks before they finish.

7nm: From the start rounding Orakei Buoy to port, Torpedo Buoy to port and then to the finish.

8.7nm: from the Start rounding Resolution Buoy to port, Torpedo Buoy to port, passing north of Westhaven Buoy (ODM), through the central span of the harbour bridge, roundingRona Buoy to starboard, Bayswater Buoy to starboard and to the finish.

11.6nm: From the start rounding Stanley Buoy to starboard, Orakei Buoy to port, Northhead Buoy to port, passing to the north of Westhaven Buoy (ODM), through the central span of the harbour bridge, rounding Chelsea Buoy to starboard, Bayswater Buoy to starboard and to the finish.

TVS long course:

From the start rounding Stanley Buoy to starboard, Orakei Buoy to port, Northhead Buoy to port, passing to the north of Westhaven Buoy (ODM), through the central span of the harbour bridge, Chelsea Bouy to starboard, Orakei Buoy to port, Northhead Buoy to port, passing to the north of Westhaven Buoy (ODM), through the central span of the harbour bridge, rounding Chelsea Buoy to starboard, Bayswater Buoy to starboard and to the finish.

The finish line is defined as a line from Westhaven tower to the outer distance mark (ODM).

Note that boats finishing to the north of ODM will be scored DNF.

Also note for boats who's course takes them under the harbour bridge, please pass the ODM to the north, ie, do not cross through the finish line until finishing.

The start is also defined as a line from the Westhaven Tower to the outer distance mark. Start times shall be signalled with number boards on the tower and we will endeavour to broadcast each start time on VHF ch77. We expect to coordinate start times using GPS time so starting on your GPS time should work well.

Please also be aware that other clubs will be using the harbour on Friday evening, particularly the RNZYS rum race fleet which will likely be finishing to the north of ODM while the Crew.Org boats start.

Any questions, please email me at mmulcare@xtra.co.nz or ph: 021 769 691

7nm course :

17:45 Cherry-Oh

17:47 Grampus 2

18:01 Schzando

18:03 Samakand

8.7nm course :

17:49 Rock Lobster

17:51 Wairiki

17:51 Pukeko

17:52 Manawa

17:58 Zilch

17:58 Team Zenith

17:58 Cordite

17:59 Snatcher

18:01 Arch Rival

18:01 Bondi Tram

18:01 Takahoa

18:03 Crocodile

18:03 Flitzer 3 - unrestricted

18:04 Palmyra

18:04 The Taniwha

18:05 Tack Hammer

18:05 Heaven n Hell

18:05 Sonic

18:06 Mellow Yellow - unrestricted

18:07 Pavo

18:08 Drop Dead Fred

18:08 Oracle

18:08 Prince Hal

18:08 Revolution

18:09 Pepe

18:10 Azure

18:11 Duty Free

18:11 Farrago II

18:11 Fast Company

18:11 Rainbow V

18:11 Magic 25s

18:12 Tigga

18:15 magic 25 - unrestricted

11.6nm course :

17:45 Thor

17:45 Bonaparte

17:47 Transformer

17:50 Absolut Leisure

17:50 Spearhead

17:50 Truxton

17:50 Valium

17:52 Notorious

17:55 Force Eleven

17:57 Provincial Cowboy

17:58 Urban Cowboy

18:00 Focus

18:02 Mojo

18:04 Lawless

18:07 Steinlager II

18:28 Charleston

18:30 Taeping

18:32 Ninja

18:45 Team Vodafone Sailing

23nm course :

18:01 Team Vodafone Sailing (long option)

Ye Dogs.

Well the Spencer is coming too.

And she'll be low in the water by the sounds of things...

Team Stevoo, I may not see you at work tomorrow - my hayfever is playing up something terrible...

I love how Valium may have won the battle by getting their start time eased to the same of the older cruising boat Spearhead.

I wonder how Gary will react when he finds out his sister is racing on Spearhead tonight...? How much is she worth returned home safely?

I love how Valium may have won the battle by getting their start time eased to the same of the older cruising boat Spearhead.

I wonder how Gary will react when he finds out his sister is racing on Spearhead tonight...? How much is she worth returned home safely?

The Valium got turned into a cruising boat fit for an H28 owner, Its had new lazy jacks stuck on her and its starting to look more like the Spearhead every day!!!

Yes indeed, another AWESOME c.o.nz Rum Race.

Maybe a mile before the finish I realised we were in with a chance to win it, after a planing reach all the way to Orakei had the small boats looking good.

The Sultan and the belly dancers got by us along the westhaven breakwater, and beat us home by maybe 30 seconds. Well done guys!

Highlights for us, aside from being the smallest boat and the podium finish, make a pretty long list...

Steinlager 2 passing about two meters away to windward on the beat home, which was a bit frightening to realise that the top of their rig was a long way further to leeward that the top of mine. I mean, sitting with my back to them, I glanced up to see their rig poking way past mine! :cry:

Vodafone blasting past just to leeward of us a little later, and them luffing slightly in a puff, which had both my daughters screaming cos they looked like the windward hull was about to land on us.

Burying the bow into a particularly steep ferry wake, which threw green water clear over the cabintop, and down the hatch.

And of course beating the other 16 footer, whose crew also thoroughly enjoyed themselves, and hopefully will be back next year.

Oh, and did I mention we came second? With a two year old and a seven year old on board? :D

And let's not forget the "Croc fight," I'm sure someone else on here can shed more light, I only heard about it later!

I Know it's already been said, but a massive thanks to David and the team for making it happen, and the sponsors for making it what it is - the best way to see in the christmas season, and an absolute blast! :clap:

We now have a size S North 3DL T-Shirt, which sadly won't fit any of my family at present, so if anyone has an L or bigger sized one they'd like to swap?? 8)

Woo Hoo!! Only another 360 - odd days until the next Crew.Org.NZ Rum Race - I cant wait!

Saw the aftermath when I tured up at5.00 yesterday morning to do our RNI qualifier. Just in bed! On the water by 6.00. Crew was up as we passed Rangi light. But a can of beans and a box of Up a Go. Put paid to his brave efforts. Didn't see him again until we were north of LB. nice genie ride. Heading in now as we will have done our 250 by the time we get back. No beer has been drunk yet!

Wouldn't bother me if we had come in stone last, that reach away from the start made my day, week, and possibly even year!

Possibly the fastest our little Cherry has ever gone. Just wish it could have gone on for a bit longer.

Shame about the tanks and buildings though, the wind shadow from them really knocks the tiny boats.

I've had a BBQ with the guys from the other baby boat, and the owner wants to sail on something BIG next year, I got the feeling he was talking 50+.

sorry I missed rum race had to take boat back to waipu. had every intention to sail in crew .org rummy and handicap looked very favourable.

Almost pulled pin at 2pm when breeze was all over the place and we haven't the sails for light wind thank goodness the wind filled in and we had a good sail in the squaddy rummy.

good to beat men at work.

Archived